• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chuckers

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
As I said before, Murali can't straighten his arm - it's bent 36 degrees permanently, so when his arm appears bent as he releases the ball he isn't chucking, it would only be chucking if he straightened his arm more than 15 degrees from the 36 he starts at. Your pic proves nothing

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
BTW, you can stop with the conspiracies about bowling differently in games and when tested, you have no idea if it's the same or not. Murali once bowled with a brace fitted to his arm which wouldn't allow him to bend or straighten his arm at all, and his action looked pretty much the same

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As I said before, Murali can't straighten his arm - it's bent 36 degrees permanently, so when his arm appears bent as he releases the ball he isn't chucking, it would only be chucking if he straightened his arm more than 15 degrees from the 36 he starts at. Your pic proves nothing
I know. They were also taken at different stages of the bowling action, in McGrath's case after he would have straightened his arm lol. I just thought it was funny.

All I'm saying is I don't enjoy watching blatant throws masquerading as bowlers. It damages the experience for me, and a lot of people I know too. Murali I didn't mind anyway, he was great for the game and a fantastic patron, and he's retired now so what does it matter?

The guys I've watched recently that really bug me are Botha, Senenayake and Ajmal. I don't know if they're legal within the new "murali law", all I know is they look atrocious.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Your 'Murali law' makes me chuckle, iirc it was actually created to accommodate for guys like McGrath when it was discovered they were bending their arms a bit.

Flem274*

123/5
The best bit about the conspiracy theories is apparently the ICC is bending to the whims of the all powerful...Sri Lankan Cricket Board.

Yeah no.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
All I'm saying is I don't enjoy watching blatant throws masquerading as bowlers..
It's not throwing if it's done within 15 degrees. Again, do you want to call McGrath a thrower?

I very much understand the frustration that bowlers could potentially fool the system by sticking within the laws during testing and exceeding them during play, but the video analysis is there to ensure that their actions haven't changed since testing.

It's certainly not foolproof.

Ideally we'd come to a point where every bowler can have little motion trackers stuck to each of their inflexion points and no balls could be automatically called live. That's what I'd want.

Until then, we have to hope that the video is being closely monitored to ensure that bowling actions don't change from when they were tested.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I wouldn't say Murali was excepted from the considerations of that rule being made/changed.
No, but they tested a whole bunch of people and found that only one bowler (Sarwan or Chandapual iirc) was within the rules, they changed it for lots of people

Daemon

Other memorable but not entirely accurate quotes "Wow does he give it a rip! There's a big future in it, for him. You can just see it" :p

TheJediBrah

As much as you might enjoy watching Jeetan Patel bowl with a straight arm I actually enjoy watching Murali and Ajmal weave their magic, but whatever.
As long as they're not blatantly chucking it then I'm fine with them

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Watch Glenn McGrath bowl, then watch Murali bowl. And try to tell me that they are bending their arm the same amount.

It's complete rubbish.
It's complete rubbish that misguided people still think this to be the case when it's been proven in the labs.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think what bothers me is why are some bowlers allowed to chuck it while others are not?
Like who?

Just because it looks like it's being chucked, doesn't mean that it is a chuck. If you want to ban someone like Ajmal then by definition you'll agree to banning Steyn will you?