• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chasing targets in ODIs

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
come to think of it, how many really good chasing knocks can we remember from mussey? i remember tons and tons of great finishing knocks but that's slightly different.
Not many. Was suprised to see Hussey's name up with Dhoni and Bevan.
Hussey around 2006/07 was doing it on a regular basis from what I remember.

Hussey's tended to do it with wickets on the other end, rather than it coming to the last ball.

A chase when you're 8/9 down at the end, even if you have 35 balls left, is still a good chase if the batsman steered them home.

Spark

Global Moderator
I'd say Clarke is similar in that he doesn't let it get near the last over/ball, which is probably why he's not talked about as a great chaser (despite the fact that his record is obscenely good) - his chasing knocks tend to result in "easy" wins, which tends to overlook the fact that the reason it was easy was because he batted so well.

EDIT: In fact, the more I look at his record and dissect it, the more I'm amazed he isn't talked about as a chaser. It's just ridiculously good.

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fun facts probably already covered.

MS
Number of first innings: 89
Number of second innings: 88

Bevan:
Number of first innings:115
Number of second innings 81

Hussey:
Number of first innings: 99
Number of second innings: 41

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Haha so the main reason Hussey doesn't have many quality chases is probably because he never got a bat. Oh well.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha so the main reason Hussey doesn't have many quality chases is probably because he never got a bat. Oh well.
India often go out of their way to chase if they win the toss too. With most teams choosing to bat first, that'll obviously increase the amount of times Dhoni has chased.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Bevan a myth? Discuss.

In the "winning chase" average list you have to get all the way down to Sunny Gavaskar for someone with a slower SR.

List includes chaps like Greenidge & Sir Viv who finished their ODI careers before Bev started his too, so it's not just about increasing strike rates as the years have gone on.

Spark

Global Moderator
More a proof that SRs are a bit of a furphy I'd say. But it's worth noting - 80 chasing innings, 45 in wins. 15 out of 22 50+ innings in wins (with a crazy average). Will leave you to work out what that means.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Another question:

Do innings in chases get more credit/attention that great first innings knocks, be it from top order batsmen or lower order batsmen?

For example, a 50 (70) may look slow at the death, but if it still results in a score which is higher than par, isn't it just as good.

Thinking Bevan in this game ftr: Final: India v Australia at Kolkata, Nov 18, 2003 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

His knock allowed the situation to arise where Clarke could go nuts.

Spark

Global Moderator
Another question:

Do innings in chases get more credit/attention that great first innings knocks, be it from top order batsmen or lower order batsmen?

For example, a 50 (70) may look slow at the death, but if it still results in a score which is higher than par, isn't it just as good.

Thinking Bevan in this game ftr: Final: India v Australia at Kolkata, Nov 18, 2003 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

His knock allowed the situation to arise where Clarke could go nuts.
IMO the only two figures that matter when you're batting are team RR and wickets in hand. If your team RR is fine then you're batting quick enough. Often your SR will look slow but the team RR will be fine simply because all you're trying to do is get the other bloke on strike. I'd say that's what happened there given that Clarke was striking at 150 (!!!)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Bevan a myth? Discuss.

In the "winning chase" average list you have to get all the way down to Sunny Gavaskar for someone with a slower SR.

List includes chaps like Greenidge & Sir Viv who finished their ODI careers before Bev started his too, so it's not just about increasing strike rates as the years have gone on.
As Spark said, I think it rather shows the fallibility of the SR stat; Bevan's in particular. He summed up the risk/reward situation and scored at the pace he thought would maximise his team's chances of winning. As such, the fact that he played a lot with McGrath, Warne and Lee rather deflated his second innings strike rate as he was often chasing lowish totals and had no reason to take more risks. It is a stat on winning chases afterall.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would be interesting to see their balls scored off % itbt.

Would bet that Hussey and Bevan would be quite a deal higher than Dhoni for example. Dhoni strikes me as more of an enforcer type finisher in many respects, hits boundaries at will when set.
Imperfect but Dhoni's boundary percentage is 42.84%
Hussey's - 36.75%
Bevan's - 27.86%

Xuhaib

International Coach
have said this before here on CW that Dhoni is the best ever odi cricketer. Is among the top 3 finishers off all time with a strong case of being best and he combines with another important full time skill like wicket keeping and when you factor in that he lead his side too a WC victory then I struggle to see how anyone can top this.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Hussey around 2006/07 was doing it on a regular basis from what I remember.

Hussey's tended to do it with wickets on the other end, rather than it coming to the last ball.

A chase when you're 8/9 down at the end, even if you have 35 balls left, is still a good chase if the batsman steered them home.
I think the trend I've noticed with Hussey is finishing first innings well. In the home series vs West Indies and Pakistan in 2010 it seemed just about every Australian innings was ambling along to a below par target until the intervention of Hussey.