• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Channel Nine - Warne In; Chappell, Greig Under Pressure

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
Slats and Warney are both good commentators.

I don't mind Ian Chappell and it just wouldn't be the same without Bill. Greig however can be thrown onto the first plane to SA/England/Kazakhstan. Good riddance.

I hope they ditch Healy, he really ***** me.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I don't mind Greig. He's comic relief and a decent commentator. He was part of the best commentary team I've seen in England for the last Ashes, and didn't do it any harm. Chappell is usually a pretty good commentator, but I'd be pleased to see Lawry go. He's just a joke these days.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
warne was pretty good in 2003 as a commentator, when he retires(hopefully after the 2009 ashes) he & slats will be good listening. I hope Greig doesn't go i'm a big fan.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Greig has to stay if only for these sorts of comments "that's a huge six, his out"...

archie mac

International Coach
TT Boy said:
Greig has to stay if only for these sorts of comments "that's a huge six, his out"...
He is very annoying when you are not 100% focused on the cricket. As he never uses the batsmans name, it is always 'He's out, yes He's gone, he tried to hit that one for six, that is twice now He has done that, and what is more he had no need to try that'

And I am yelling at the tele, who is out Greig you clown (or words to that effect:ph34r: )

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
Maybe it is just me, but I think Mark Taylor talks to people like a TV version of Cricket for Dummies. I turn the sound down but sometimes the radio commentary is slightly out of sync. with the TV commentary. End up turning down TV and just listening to the radio. Chappeli has his own style and can't imagine the team without Greig - don't like him, but a bit like an old pair of slippers he is worn and comfortable.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
I don't quite know how to feel about this.

First off, I love Tony Greig, he's one of my all-time favorite cricket characters. He has a tendency to say dumb things, but he's so good at rubbing people the wrong way. It's good for entertainment. I love the way he almost deliberately says things that will get Bill Lawry fired up.

Secondly, I also love Bill Lawry. The most biast commentater on earth and yet he gets away with it ways Boyc and Beefy can't. People think Tony Greig says dumb things, but Lawry takes the cake. The calls strokes that played and missed well left. His bias toward Gilchrist is hilarious. When he went on a rant on how he is his favorite player, all of a sudden everything Gilchrist did was gold. Missing balls and their well left, coming off edges and it's well guided. On a more positive note, I do like the emotion he brings to cricket games. The most intense ODI situations are made better with Bill Lawry saying "oh it's all happening here at the MCG." Or "dear or dearie me." Always such emotion like everything is the end of the world and it works quite nicely.

Ian Chappell is someone I have mixed feelings over. In a way he reminds me of a boring old man who keeps telling the same story so many times. But some of what he says is really interesting, like he'd say Andy Robert's belived the faster delivery was more potent than the slower one, so save a little pace. Now that's good information, and it's interesting. But he says it soo much. I've honestly heard him talking about the calibre of seagulls in Adelaide and how tough they are. He's the most expendable.

Slats should be in easily, did well for C4 and can have chemistry with even NZ commentaters.

To be honest, I didn't dig Warne's commentary as much as others did in 2003. But he's a character and the game needs those. Beefy isn't the best commentater but he's somebody you'd want in the spotlight. To this day when I watch Sky News and any reporter wants an opinion on the England team, they ask Beefy. And he's a face all recognise and listen to.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I thought that Greig commentated a lot differently over in England for C4 than what he does in Australia. Much preferred him over in Eng.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
chappelli can go, what a waste of valuable commentary time they could give to someone else...

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Great Birtannia said:
Greig however can be thrown onto the first plane to SA/England/Kazakhstan. Good riddance.
I guess he didn't suck up to Aussies during the last 2 series V SA and was pretty Candid and forthright in his comments and no doubt that touched some nerves .:laugh: :laugh:

I love Tony Greig and Chappell for being 2 of the most genuine, honest and neutral commentators on Channell 9 who don't follow the theme of 'Suck up to the Aussies as much as you can so that the cricketers and TV audience will love you, even if its not not truthful ' .

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Chappelli is unbiased and neutral yes, but Greig isn't. He's just more biased towards the opposition of Australia.

Just because someone isn't biased to Australia doesn't mean they're unbiased, because Greig's just the opposite to your Lawry, Healy etc.

Craig

World Traveller
Aside from talking about leg spin in which as everyone knows Shane Warne is pretty much an expert so he knows what he is saying, I found him to be a little annoying and biased, but when you play for Australia it is kind of expected. Mark Waugh was ok but nothing to special.

Michael Slater is somebody who is born to be a commentator, he is somebod ywho I could listen to all day and certainty watch all day when he was batting in his prime. You know things are desperate when he has a bowl in Test cricket.

TBH the C4 commentatory was some of the best I have heard, a lot more then Sky and Ch 9. While I think in South Africa it is random commentators. Sure they have played FC cricket and have some involvement but I have hardly heard of them.

Craig

World Traveller
Jono said:
Chappelli is unbiased and neutral yes, but Greig isn't. He's just more biased towards the opposition of Australia.

Just because someone isn't biased to Australia doesn't mean they're unbiased, because Greig's just the opposite to your Lawry, Healy etc.
Actually I quite like that. You have to have somebody to back them when South Africa or Sri Lanka are in town.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I never said it was a bad thing, I always find it funny.

But calling Tony Greig unbiased is just plain wrong and I couldn't let that slide.

Craig

World Traveller
What do you think of Sunil Gavaskar as a commentator?

I believe he came out here in 1999.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I don't really have an opinion on Gavaskar, but when India come down here next I hope Harsha Bhogle does television commentary rather than radio.

Harsha is the man :cool:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
While I think in South Africa it is random commentators. Sure they have played FC cricket and have some involvement but I have hardly heard of them.
Never heard of Pat Symcox, Allan Donald and Daryll Cullinan?