• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Changes To Indian Team in Next Series Onwards

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Is there a specific reason for that or is it just because they are ****s?
I don't know how much time the players have to play County Cricket.

Last year, Raina had World Cup commitments, then an IPL contract which committed him to mid-May, then India had international commitments from the end of May in the West Indies right through until the end of September in England.

If Raina wanted to play County Cricket this year, he wouldn't be able to play in April or May due to the IPL. Assuming he isn't close to a Test recall, he could come over from June. If he was in the Test side, he'd get a total of 1 Championship match in June, and would be in Sri Lanka for a Test series in July and back in India for a series vs New Zealand in August and September.

dhillon28

U19 Debutant
Pujara at No.3 Dravid Out
Rohit at No.5 VVS out
Kohli to stay at no.6 and captain
Parthiv/Uday Kaul in and Dhoni out
Abu Nechim in and Ishant out

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
All this talk of them getting themselves county contracts, don't the counties have to actually want them in order to get a contract?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
All this talk of them getting themselves county contracts, don't the counties have to actually want them in order to get a contract?
I honestly think some counties will want Raina in there... He might well get owned initially but I would wager he would find a way to score runs in the 4 dayers and in ODs and T20s, he will smash them out of sight anyway. And he is more of the Rahul Dravid type who will set an example in terms of work ethic and stuff.. He is really a genuinely nice guy and someone (along with Dinesh Karthik) whom I wish had a bit more talent and ability so that he could be a quality player for us. Both these guys have exemplary attitude to the game. I think DK would possibly be a very good pick for one of the counties. He bats well in England, has a decent technique to fall back on both as a batsman and as a keeper. It is just a matter of getting continous games and attitude and I think if granted the former, he already has the latter.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
well.. Zak was no big deal but had a very good county stint, from all accounts. I can see blokes like PK or even Vinay do well there and be a good pro. Blokes like Umesh, Ishant etc. can only grow if they get that sort of responsibility. If county guys are still picking the overseas guys based on talent alone, I do think the INdians will have an opportunity.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
well.. Zak was no big deal but had a very good county stint, from all accounts. I can see blokes like PK or even Vinay do well there and be a good pro. Blokes like Umesh, Ishant etc. can only grow if they get that sort of responsibility. If county guys are still picking the overseas guys based on talent alone, I do think the INdians will have an opportunity.
Counties aren't exactly flush with cash and I don't think they'd be giving the likes of Ishant a contract, particularly when he'd miss half the season anyway.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Suresh Raina: 'I want to play at least 80 Tests' | Specials | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

Raina is not a Test class player but I'm glad he wants to be (or says he does). I hope other young guys still feel that way.
Good read, seems like a highly motivated guy who's willing to sacrifice if it means playing in tests.
That's pretty encouraging. Can't fault the guy's ambition. The one thing people did agree on with Raina before the England series was that he had a bit of fight about him - maybe he'll be back.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Don't they see Raina as captaincy material as well? Pretty sure he captained the ODI side in the West Indies.

Sylvester

State Captain
It's a big mess atm, you have 3 guys at the wrong end of 30, the guys on the right side of 30 are struggling with form. There is only one youngster in the batting lineup, there needs to be at least 2 and 3 would be the upper limit. Laxman is definitely gone and the guy that joins him looks like it would be one of the openers.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
Arguably the biggest problem here (possibly already mentioned) is that Dhoni has suggested he will retire from one format at the end of 2013, and one would have to assume it will be tests. Who takes over as captain?

Sehwag? Too old.
Gambhir? Possibly?
Dravid? Too old/retired
Tendulkar? Too old/retired
VVS? Retired
Kohli? Maybe?

So unless it's Gambhir/Kohli or one of the bowlers, they are going to have to bring somebody in and fast-track them to be captain. It seems as though India have no long-term plans whatsoever.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Arguably the biggest problem here (possibly already mentioned) is that Dhoni has suggested he will retire from one format at the end of 2013, and one would have to assume it will be tests. Who takes over as captain?

Sehwag? Too old.
Gambhir? Possibly?
Dravid? Too old/retired
Tendulkar? Too old/retired
VVS? Retired
Kohli? Maybe?

So unless it's Gambhir/Kohli or one of the bowlers, they are going to have to bring somebody in and fast-track them to be captain. It seems as though India have no long-term plans whatsoever.
Well Gambhir's done a bit of captaincy for India already, so I assume he'll be taking over the reigns in whichever format Dhoni gives away.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't have much hopes for the future after reading this piece.Everybody just making excuses and the attitude of N.Srinivasan is totally sickening.
India's debacle in Australia: Kris Srikkanth defends India selectors | Cricket News | Australia v India | ESPN Cricinfo
I don't find much wrong when Srikkanth says they picked the best possible side to tour Australia. Unlike England, there are no excuses of injury and stuff here. Everyone was ready and prepared and we were not that far away from taking the first test. But from that fourth inning, everything just went downhill. There are no easy answers here. I would love to write more on this, perhaps a seperate thread soon.. There is a LOT that is wrong with Indian cricket but the biggest thing is, no one in any kind of authority is willing to admit it. That is just plain scary.

Spark

Global Moderator
IIRC the selection panel in India only picks the touring squad, not the XI for each test?