• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Changes To Indian Team in Next Series Onwards

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yadav should be playing in English domestic cricket for me. Kohli would benefit there too.
AWTA.

Younger guys definitely need spells of domestic cricket in different conditions. That's why I hold Pragyan Ojha in such high regard. If a guy like Pujara, Kohli, Rohit, Rahane or Yadav had a spell over there, they would benefit immensely.

Not only is batting in seaming conditions something the Indians struggle with, but I think the bowlers need more experience bowling in those conditions too, so they understand how to take advantage of them. Bowling 125k waiting for the batsman to make an error is understandable, I guess, in Indian domestic cricket on flat tracks, but doing the same thing when Pattinson/Hilfenhaus/Siddle have shot you out for under 200 bowling quick and swinging it is definitely not a good idea.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
VVS looks shot - it's probably time. Dravid bought himself some time by scoring against England, but he may give it up as Spikey suggested.

Gambhir I'm still iffy about - but with about 2 years of home tests, I think they'll keep him.

Ishant just isn't that effective - send him to county cricket and see if he can improve. I think Yadav looks like another passenger for the Wheel, but let's wait and see at least.

How long has Zaheer got in the bank? He's still relatively effective, and he hasn't broken down, but still....

Last edited:

Daemon

Nah, keep Yadav and Kohli imo. Both good finds who will probably come good in time.
Like PEWS said, either Ishant or Yadav has to make way for Praveen. I personally can't make up my mind on which one is worse. As for Kohli, I never even said he should be dropped at this stage. It's just that in the event that he averages 25 for the next 3 games then I would definitely bring in Pujara for him.

Harby shouldn't be near the side. Ashwin should be given more time and Ojha's his back up.

Last edited:

benchmark00

I'm expecting the aging Indian batting line up to cash in in Adelaide and make it difficult to ring any changes.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
What makes VVS even more vulnerable is that he's batting at 5, an easier slot to put a youngster into. We've seen how it hasn't helped Australia having to rotate youngsters/out of form batsmen through no. 3. Pushing Kohli up there is a tough ask, obviously can't be done on form. Maybe Pujara can go there straight away.

But if you're looking to get Rohit in there, then putting him at 5/6 is a lot easier and how a youngster should be introduced whenever possible. That's why the pressure will be applied to VVS even further.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
You can see why Dravid has struggled in Australia, this tour especially but even in general. His defence has been breached so often because he's not prepared to commit over his front leg when defending, you see him go forward and then brace his front knee and stand up tall, rather than getting his eyes over the ball. His hands try to find the ball and that's where he's fallen down.

He looked very similar in his first tour over here in 1999/00.

sachin200

U19 12th Man
Well one thing I will say about Ishant is that sachin was telling him where to bowl and how to bowl it in the nets... I mean doesn't Ishant have a brain ?? what is Eric Simons doing ??

:@:@:@ :(

shankar

International Debutant
Swap Pujara and Kohli IMO.

If you're going to play Dravid, play him in the top four.
You're right about switching Pujara and Kohli. But I don't want Dravid in his current form at the crucial no. 3 spot. I prefer to give a chance to one of the new batsmen to bat at 3 and try and play the main role rather than play a supporting role from down the order. Also can't have Tendulkar batting outside the top 4 since he's still the best batsman in the side. So he'd have to go down to 5 or 6.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
I doubt dropping any of these players will do much good. This Indian team is struggling for one simple reason - an unimaginative and lacklustre bowling attack that lacks the ability to intimidate.

I realize the batsmen have done terrible, but the Australians and England have bowled pretty well, utilized the swing and bounce to dismiss quality batsmen. The Indian bowling attack is a complete joke, in the past they could rely on a couple of spinners to win them test matches, but without a penetrative bowling attack you simply do not have a shot at winning test matches against quality opponents.

I think far too much blame has been placed on the Indian batsmen here, although they are struggling, if India had Australias bowling attack, they would be dismissing the Australian side for lower totals aswell, and you would have potential for a semi competitive series.

It is pretty cliché, but you can have a world class batting line up in form, but without quality strike bowlers, you have no chance in test cricket.

I understand Indians find it hard to produce good fast bowlers, maybe they should exhaust more resources in unearthing some more spinning talent, Australian wickets are actually spinner friendly as they offer good bounce, and I can't think of anything else that would make India a consistently top test playing nation.

Last edited:

shankar

International Debutant
Well one thing I will say about Ishant is that sachin was telling him where to bowl and how to bowl it in the nets... I mean doesn't Ishant have a brain ?? what is Eric Simons doing ??

:@:@:@ :(
I said about Ishant at the end of his successful WI tour that unless he can get his release right and start swinging the ball again (as he did at the start of his career), he's going to struggle. At the moment the only weapon in his armoury is a weak leg-cutter. He tries to get the odd ball to move onto the right-hander - but this happens about once in 3-4 matches. Consequently any time he tries to bowl a full length, with the lack of movement at his pace he's easily driven. So he goes back to bowling short and become defensive.

smash84

The Tiger King
I doubt dropping any of these players will do much good. This Indian team is struggling for one simple reason - an unimaginative and lacklustre bowling attack that lacks the ability to intimidate.

I realize the batsmen have done terrible, but the Australians and England have bowled pretty well, utilized the swing and bounce to dismiss quality batsmen. The Indian bowling attack is a complete joke, in the past they could rely on a couple of spinners to win them test matches, but without a penetrative bowling attack you simply do not have a shot at winning test matches against quality opponents.

I think far too much blame has been placed on the Indian batsmen here, although they are struggling, if India had Australias bowling attack, they would be dismissing the Australian side for lower totals aswell, and you would have potential for a semi competitive series.

It is pretty cliché, but you can have a world class batting line up in form, but without quality strike bowlers, you have no chance in test cricket.

I understand Indians find it hard to produce good fast bowlers, maybe they should exhaust more resources in unearthing some more spinning talent, Australian wickets are actually spinner friendly as they offer good bounce, and I can't think of anything else that would make India a consistently top test playing nation.
Bur batting has always been India's strength. The bowling has never been outstanding. The failure of the batting makes the bowling look even worse than it actually is