• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Champions League : Taylor , Oram and Napier to play for IPL franchises?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yes, the one that said "you will play for us over any other domestic team" (in layman's terms)

**** me he's being paid a crap load for playing for the Challengers, why would they not want priority over him?

You act like there has been a gun put to Taylor's head. Such over the top rubbish.

EDIT: I do agree with you though that it tarnishes the Champions League, but don't blame the IPL teams who are doing what is in their best interests. Blame the players for taking the money and then coming out conveniently and saying "yeah if I had it my way I'd like to play for my home team".

You can't have it all buddy.

Last edited:

cbuts

International Debutant
Of course the IPL would take precident. Its an IPL tournament - they dont have to invite CD.

Flem274*

123/5
Yes, the one that said "you will play for us over any other domestic team" (in layman's terms)

**** me he's being paid a crap load for playing for the Challengers, why would they not want priority over him?

You act like there has been a gun put to Taylor's head. Such over the top rubbish.

EDIT: I do agree with you though that it tarnishes the Champions League, but don't blame the IPL teams who are doing what is in their best interests. Blame the players for taking the money and then coming out conveniently and saying "yeah if I had it my way I'd like to play for my home team".

You can't have it all buddy.
Did the CL even exist in 2008?

Last time, didn't everyone play for home team? Why the change this year? I assume a lot of contracts are still the same, so this is...interesting.

Sir Alex

Banned
Did the CL even exist in 2008?

Last time, didn't everyone play for home team? Why the change this year? I assume a lot of contracts are still the same, so this is...interesting.
Yes it indeed exist in 08 but was put off at last moment due to security issues IIRC. In 09 some players like Duminy turned out for their home team because his IPL team the Mumbai indians failed to make it to CL.

A bit rich to have a moan on it as the terms have been specifically laid out in the contract which has been agreed to in advance. (Not directed at anyone in particular, but have seen some posters not only in this forum 'waking' upto this only now)

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yes it indeed exist in 08 but was put off at last moment due to security issues IIRC. In 09 some players like Duminy turned out for their home team because his IPL team the Mumbai indians failed to make it to CL.

A bit rich to have a moan on it as the terms have been specifically laid out in the contract which has been agreed to in advance. (Not directed at anyone in particular, but have seen some posters not only in this forum 'waking' upto this only now)
But there were instances in which players were able to play for their state of origin over their IPL side in the Champions League. Was this due to the IPL side letting them do so in such an instance (e.g. was Warner released by Delhi Daredevils?) or because the interpretation of the contracts was different for the previous edition?

And if it is the latter, you'd imagine that the relative failure of the IPL sides in the last edition of the CL would have something to do with that.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Hopefully Pollard and Afridi play for the redbacks in the champions league, or atleast having one of them will be good.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Well I definitely see no reason Afridi wouldn't.
Well, Afridi should definitely be available, unless Hants get through the English T20 comp?
Yeah Afridi should play for the redbacks, and I'm hoping Hants don't get through to the finals for their 2020 competition.

Think Pollard will play for his IPL team though :(, he will get offered a whole stack by them, although when the redbacks round one contracts were released, Pollard was on the list and Afridi wasn't..

Sir Alex

Banned
But there were instances in which players were able to play for their state of origin over their IPL side in the Champions League. Was this due to the IPL side letting them do so in such an instance (e.g. was Warner released by Delhi Daredevils?) or because the interpretation of the contracts was different for the previous edition?

And if it is the latter, you'd imagine that the relative failure of the IPL sides in the last edition of the CL would have something to do with that.
As far as I know, the contract signed with IPL and the overall terms and conditions of the CL has been consistent on this issue. IPL team can retain players but on payment of USD 200k per player to the home team.

In case of Warner, apparently he was indeed 'released' or in more apt terms, not called up by DD because they didn't rate him to be one of the two foreign players out of 4, whom they were planning to retain by paying the 200k. It made some sense because as per the rules, they could only have 15 players per squad, and having Gambir, Sehwag and in form TilDil made little sense to retain another opener as he'd be warming the bench mostly.

Details here
Champions League throws up tough choices | Cricket News | Champions League Twenty20 2009 | Cricinfo.com

Sir Alex

Banned
Hopefully Pollard and Afridi play for the redbacks in the champions league, or atleast having one of them will be good.
There is no way I can see Mumbai Indians releasing Pollard for CL. Should his home team T and T qualify also, Mumbai Indians will have to shell out 200k which I think won't be an issue for them.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Well, Afridi should definitely be available, unless Hants get through the English T20 comp?
The talk of English clubs seems to me a bit irrelevant owing to the timing of the competition.

Also, Afridi will surely be representing Pakistan in the ODI series at that point.