• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Champions League : Taylor , Oram and Napier to play for IPL franchises?

Sir Alex

Banned
IPL franchise reserves first right of call.

Oram has already been released by Csk I think.

Taylor will be retained by Brc.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I thought it was the player's call but if the player chose IPL they would compensate or something?

Or is this put in the player's contract, rather than a rule? If it's in the player's contract, not the IPL's fault. The player signs the thing.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Napier didn't even get close to playing a game for Mumbai. Think he left India a week or so before the IPL finished as well. No problem with Mumbai taking first dibs on players who represented them but as Napier has no chance of getting in their first eleven, then he should represent Central Districts.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Napier didn't even get close to playing a game for Mumbai. Think he left India a week or so before the IPL finished as well. No problem with Mumbai taking first dibs on players who represented them but as Napier has no chance of getting in their first eleven, then he should represent Central Districts.
Yeah, AWTA.

asty80

School Boy/Girl Captain
TBH ..the counties get paid a lot if they lose a player to IPL...so not sure if they will be happier with the player choosing IPL or not...

GGG

State Captain
Yes but you know they will keep him so he doesn't play for the opposition.

Sir Alex

Banned
Yes but you know they will keep him so he doesn't play for the opposition.
If he were such a player who had to be prevented from turning out for the opposition, he wouldn't have been released by them during the IPL.

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
IPL franchise reserves first right of call.

Oram has already been released by Csk I think.

Taylor will be retained by Brc.
How does that work!?? Unless it's a clause in their IPL contract, can't see how it'd be justifiable otherwise.

Edit: Never mind. Just read the article posted and saw that it is in their contract.

Last edited:

thierry henry

International Coach
Taylor was interviewed about 2 months ago on breakfast radio in NZ and clearly stated that he wanted to play for CD above all other teams. It stinks if he has to play for a team which isn't his first choice.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Hypothetically what happens if CD makes the finals and Bangalore doesn't can he change teams?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Napier may well play for Essex as the county season is still ongoing, he seems to feel a lot of loyalty to them.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
If the Ipl Franchisee chooses to retain the player ,they have to pay his other teams a big compensation fee.
So i don't think the other teams will be too unhappy about it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Taylor was interviewed about 2 months ago on breakfast radio in NZ and clearly stated that he wanted to play for CD above all other teams. It stinks if he has to play for a team which isn't his first choice.
If he really wanted to he wouldn't sign the Bangalore Royal Challengers contract.

Howsie

International Captain
So why even show up, seriously? Yes I know each team gets a big pay packet for just making this thing but if you're going to lose your three best players I don't see the point of turning up tbh, it's hardly a champions league when three teams are just going to take the rest of the other teams best players available to them.