• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chamipons Trophy at stake for top 7

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Would Sky want to televise the CT if England weren't involved?

There certainly wouldn't be as much interest in it. I'm a bit cynical and I think one way or another England will be in there. ICC didn't plan for the fact a major nation would be worse than minor one.
They would televise it but the money they pay would be significantly reduced.

But the CT needs binning off - have an ODI WC and a T20 WC every 2 years

Owzat

U19 Captain
They would televise it but the money they pay would be significantly reduced.

But the CT needs binning off - have an ODI WC and a T20 WC every 2 years
"Champions" Trophy, champions of what?!?!?

Besides having read the wiki entry on the Champions Trophy 2025 it says Pakistan are hosts and not that the top 7 will qualify, with no indication of any other route to qualify which seems very closed door "elitist", just that the top 7 positions which would have to exclude Pakistan given they can't play in it twice.

hamfisted by the media, one team is decided, hosts Pakistan, so they take it as read as top 7 when as I read it then it's the top 7 sides excluding Pakistan who could finish 8th but I find it unlikely

whether England can steal into a top 8 place is another matter, I'd also find it hard to believe they'd set up such qualifying if they thought one of the bigger guns wouldn't finish in the top 8 ie don't really want Sri Lanka or more likely Holland or Afghanistan in place of England or any team who have a good standing in cricket even if not evident from this tournament - a rehash of 1996 when England didn't beat any top sides

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
The whole point of the CT was to provide a tournament and more importantly cash, between World Cups.

With the birth of T20 as a format, that is no longer needed.

Now the CT is 100% about cash so having no England there wouldn't help the tournament at all.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The whole point of the CT was to provide a tournament and more importantly cash, between World Cups.

With the birth of T20 as a format, that is no longer needed.

Now the CT is 100% about cash so having no England there wouldn't help the tournament at all.
I sort of agree, but think mini-tournaments is the best way to safeguard the format as opposed to bilaterals that just feel like friendlies these days.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
I sort of agree, but think mini-tournaments is the best way to safeguard the format as opposed to bilaterals that just feel like friendlies these days.
It's a fair point you make but if we have a CT, a T20 WC and a ODI WC, then that's a world event 3 out of every 4 years, which seems 1 too many to me.

Also, if we're not there, what's the point of the tournament anyway. 😆

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Have the Netherlands even got any ODIs scheduled in the next couple of years? I'm not sure if they have. Nonetheless, I really hope they qualify.

Would love to see an Euro ODI Cup with England, Ireland, Scotland, and the Dutch.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It's a fair point you make but if we have a CT, a T20 WC and a ODI WC, then that's a world event 3 out of every 4 years, which seems 1 too many to me.

I’d be happy with a global event every year haha. But I know what you mean.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
Have the Netherlands even got any ODIs scheduled in the next couple of years? I'm not sure if they have. Nonetheless, I really hope they qualify.

Would love to see an Euro ODI Cup with England, Ireland, Scotland, and the Dutch.
This English team would somehow find a way to lose that.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year

There is a world event every year actually. In a four year cycle there are -
2 T20 World Cups
1 Odi World Cup
1 Champions Trophy

(1 event per year)

2022 T20 WC
2023 ODI WC
2024 T20 WC
2025 CT
2026 T20 WC
2027 ODI WC
2028 T20 WC
2029 CT

Andy19

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hopefully England win their last two matches and maybe get in the champions Trophy 🏆.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gotta say if you’re worrying about qualifying for a second tier tournament while playing in the format’s premier event, you’ve got it all are about. The CT has never mattered, and matters less now than ever

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Gotta say if you’re worrying about qualifying for a second tier tournament while playing in the format’s premier event, you’ve got it all are about. The CT has never mattered, and matters less now than ever
TBF it does matter a lot, monetarily, to the boards who need the cash like Windies, SL, Afg etc.