• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chamipons Trophy at stake for top 7

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
England must win their remaining 2 games to be guaranteed of top 8 finish.
They play Netherlands which they should win (although given their recent form its not guaranteed) and Pakistan who will probably beat them.anyway.

Owzat

U19 Captain
England must win their remaining 2 games to be guaranteed of top 8 finish.
surely even they can manage that, well unless the dutch do a saffer on them

best hope is to lose the toss! probably win if they bat first, but will Butthead do that fearing a recurrence of the Sri Lankan defeat

England batting first vs second
1st vs NZL 282/9 - lost by 9 wickets, feeble bowling, took kiwis only 36.2 overs
1st vs BAN 364/9 - won by 137 runs
1st vs SRL 156 - lost by 8 wickets, not nearly enough runs but not enough wickets/pressure against one of the weaker teams in the tournament

2nd vs AFG 215 - lost by 69 runs
2nd vs SAF 170 - lost by 229 runs and batted just 22 overs chasing 400 which was far too many
2nd vs IND 129 - lost by 100 runs, bowling was a little off letting India add a comparatively big 4th wicket partnership, batting was as bad
2nd vs AUS 253 - lost by 33 runs, not the worst batting or bowling but clearly not good enough

I'd suggest England were more in it first two times of batting 1st, disaster on the 3rd, chasing they lost any control but then again a weak bowling attack (overall) never helps keep totals down or defend them, so not all about the batting failings

Owzat

U19 Captain
Sri Lanka winning today is better for England or no?
Sri Lanka can reach 6 points, Bangladesh also but I'm sure England would rather see both on 4 points than one on 6.

Sri Lanka finish off against New Zealand, would trust the kiwis would win that, and same for Australia against Bangladesh meaning 4 points and better NRR may well be enough

Molehill

International Captain
Sri Lanka can reach 6 points, Bangladesh also but I'm sure England would rather see both on 4 points than one on 6.

Sri Lanka finish off against New Zealand, would trust the kiwis would win that, and same for Australia against Bangladesh meaning 4 points and better NRR may well be enough
Nope, Sri Lanka winning today would be better. Would then mean England basically just have to beat Netherlands to qualify (although NRR discrepancies could yet change). But given Bangladesh play Aus and Netherlands play India, it's hard to see them winning another game.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Still think one win may well do it if we beat Netherlands by more than about 50 runs. It may well come down to how badly teams lose their final game.
Yeah you're right. I had this win taking Bangas onto 6 points in my head, not sure why.

Molehill

International Captain
If England beat Ned on Wednesday (big IF admittedly), it could be a funny game with Pak on Sat. One team will probably know what NRR will be required to qualify for the semis, the other may need to only lose by a certain amount to qualify for the CT. I suspect there isn't a happy medium for either.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
One thing on this I keep hearing on some Podcasts is that it's all moot anyway as it won't happen anyway because India will refuse to travel to Pakistan and thus the competition will collapse. What say ye CW?

Molehill

International Captain
One thing on this I keep hearing on some Podcasts is that it's all moot anyway as it won't happen anyway because India will refuse to travel to Pakistan and thus the competition will collapse. What say ye CW?
I don't see why the competition should collapse, we just get in the next team. And if Netherlands beat England, will almost be even funnier.

Molehill

International Captain
Does it not make a loss if India aren't there though?
Surely, this was taken into consideration when awarding it to Pakistan. If India don't want to go (which would be silly given Pakistan have gone to this World Cup) then that's their problem.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
which would be silly given Pakistan have gone to this World Cup
While I am of the opinion that India should travel to Pak and play at least the ICC and ACC tournaments, I dont think you have any idea of the complexity of the issue between the two countries if you think its a simple matter of "they came, you should go".

Molehill

International Captain
While I am of the opinion that India should travel to Pak and play at least the ICC and ACC tournaments, I dont think you have any idea of the complexity of the issue between the two countries if you think its a simple matter of "they came, you should go".
Oh, I'm sure I don't. But surely the BCCI would have been involved in the awarding of the tournament to Pakistan?