• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Careers ruined by injuries

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Some England seamers of the last 20 years who always come to my mind are Simon Jones, Dean Headley, Mark Ilott, Alex Tudor (never recovered from being smacked on the helmet by Brett Lee in 2002/03, and had trouble with various body-parts all career anyway) and Richard Johnson. None were ever going to be a Bishop or even a Reid but all could very easily have been good Test bowlers had they had stronger bodies. Jones, Headley and Tudor played enough to demonstrate what might have been; Ilott and Johnson did not and thus those who like to generalise can write them off as "average county bowler who never had it in him at Test level".
Dean Headley's a particularly good call.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Some England seamers of the last 20 years who always come to my mind are Simon Jones, Dean Headley, Mark Ilott, Alex Tudor (never recovered from being smacked on the helmet by Brett Lee in 2002/03, and had trouble with various body-parts all career anyway) and Richard Johnson. None were ever going to be a Bishop or even a Reid but all could very easily have been good Test bowlers had they had stronger bodies. Jones, Headley and Tudor played enough to demonstrate what might have been; Ilott and Johnson did not and thus those who like to generalise can write them off as "average county bowler who never had it in him at Test level".
Agree with the rest but Tudor was pedestrian well before being hit by Brett Lee.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Agree with the rest but Tudor was pedestrian well before being hit by Brett Lee.
Think his back probably had a more adverse affect on his career than being sconed.

If memory serves back when he was a regular (in squads if not the test XI) he was often dropping out because of various twinges. There were one or two unkind whisperings that he perhaps lacked testicular fortitude because of this, but it transpired he had an undiagnosed problem with his back.

Top_Cat

Think his back probably had a more adverse affect on his career than being sconed.

If memory serves back when he was a regular (in squads if not the test XI) he was often dropping out because of various twinges. There were one or two unkind whisperings that he perhaps lacked testicular fortitude because of this, but it transpired he had an undiagnosed problem with his back.
Yeah remembered hearing the same. Such a shame, looked fantastic early on.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Troy Corbett always springs to mind for me. Imagine a 6'5" left-arm quickie with the build of a footballer, the swing (almost) of Wasim Akram and the pace of Brett Lee. Was pretty accurate at pace too (trust me, was terrifying). Could have been anything but had horrific back troubles.
Decent List A record.

Top_Cat

Yeah, no-one like facing him. Blokes still talk about how quick he was.
Serious?? Last played, what, 12 years ago? Can almost still feel the bruise on my hip from what I presume was a cricket ball he bowled at me at Uni. Can't be sure, though; didn't see it.

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Simon Jones the most obvious one around at the moment but Chris Tremlett has had a terrible run as well, means we have potentially the best bowling combination in the country but I will be pleasantly surprised if they ever play together.

morgieb

Craig Howard. Went close to an Australian call-up as a youngster but fell behind as his body couldn't handle leggies.

Agreed with Simon Jones, Dean Headley, Alex Tudor, Shane Bond, Ian Bishop and Bruce Reid, FWIW.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not sure about that - averaged in the mid-20s for his county up to then and since returning from that tour has averaged in the high-30s for his various counties. And until then he'd been a very sporadically promising Test bowler too.

Top_Cat

Not sure about that - averaged in the mid-20s for his county up to then and since returning from that tour has averaged in the high-30s for his various counties. And until then he'd been a very sporadically promising Test bowler too.
For Tests he was pedestrian well before then. His bowling in the 2001 Ashes series, for example. I know he took wickets in one inning but on the whole, had definitely lost some zip.