• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can anyone tell me when...

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
Showed it in bits - you mean in between the times where he averaged 100 and 72, he took 6 for 156 and 4 for 33?
And usually just bowling with a bit of fire "impresses" Stephen Waugh. Even though Craig White bowled far better than Harmison at any point in the series, Harmison was the one who supposedly "impressed" the Australians.
harmison impressed the australians largely because they felt that he had potential to become a good fast bowler in the future.....craig white bowled better yes, you dont need to convince me about craig white, but the fact is that he was near the end of his career anyways.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
Quite clearly, eh? You mean his average dropping from an abysmal 50 to a very, very poor 40
theres no discounting that flintoff will probably never be a consistent wicket taker at the test match level because of his "heavy ball" bowling but the fact is that he is still a handy 2nd change bowler to have and is capable of keeping one end tight. he is still a far better bowler in terms of accuracy than he was 2-3 years ago.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Except this is talking about before he started getting the wickets...
He started getting wickets against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh the minute he started bowling at them!
Though it is true to say that the Bangladesh match was after the wicket-taking spree against Test-standard teams started.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
wpdavid said:
I'd be laughing if I saw Hayden being knocked-over for single-figures time and again by Saggers - which would happen if Saggers bowled like he can at Hayden.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
I'd be laughing if I saw Hayden being knocked-over for single-figures time and again by Saggers - which would happen if Saggers bowled like he can at Hayden.
that is funny

Langeveldt

Soutie
Richard said:
Erm... Eh??

Maybe we are thinking of different Hayden's.. that would explain it :)

Swervy

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
Erm... Eh??

Maybe we are thinking of different Hayden's.. that would explain it :)
it makes sense...hayden...averages 58 in tests, has scored 20 centuries in 95 test innings,has scored over 5000 runs in 55 tests would be no match for the competent 32 year old county bowler Saggers :wacko:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
You can guarantee that can you?

Saggers knows how to bowl and take wickets in County Cricket, and is a damn good bowler, but taking wickets in Test matches is a lot different.

Not even the most ardent of Saggers supporters would make such ludicrous claims as that.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
He started getting wickets against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh the minute he started bowling at them!

Of course he could hardly take wickets without bowling to them 8-)

What I said was that he was outperforming the rest of the attack as a whole before those series, and thus shouldn't have been the first head on the chopping block.

In fact of all the nations he's opposed (7 so far by the way), only against Australia has he not out-performed the rest of the attack (and even then his economy rate was 3.43 compared with 4.22, and the team as a whole were taking wickets at about 47 or so a time)

Of course, his continual wicket-hauls are now increasingly becoming a source of amusement after your proclamations and long may it continue to sow you up is what I say.

tooextracool

International Coach
Swervy said:
it makes sense...hayden...averages 58 in tests, has scored 20 centuries in 95 test innings,has scored over 5000 runs in 55 tests would be no match for the competent 32 year old county bowler Saggers :wacko:
yes the same hayden that came to england in the form of his life in 01 and only averaged 33....i can see a case for hayden failing in england, although i wouldnt guarantee it and definetly not of saggers bowling.....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
The 33-year-old Hayden, I might remind you.
The outstanding county bowler Saggers, I might also remind you.
Saggers swings the ball, lots, Hayden has been shown time and again to be very, very vulnerable to deliveries like the one which Saggers bowled to Richardson at Headingley in the first-innings.
That is the reason I say Saggers would murder Hayden if he bowled at him with a new ball in England.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
You can guarantee that can you?

Saggers knows how to bowl and take wickets in County Cricket, and is a damn good bowler, but taking wickets in Test matches is a lot different.

Not even the most ardent of Saggers supporters would make such ludicrous claims as that.
No, I can't gurantee that - no-one can gurantee anything - that is why I said "if" Saggers bowled as he can.
Taking the wicket of Matthew Hayden is very simple, in any form of cricket - pitch the ball up, swing it into him (or, as Caddick has demonstrated actually quite well, bang it in short early on to induce a compulsive hook).
Saggers happens to be very good at doing that when given a new ball in England.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tooextracool said:
yes the same hayden that came to england in the form of his life in 01 and only averaged 33....i can see a case for hayden failing in england, although i wouldnt guarantee it and definetly not of saggers bowling.....
In Hayden's defence he did have a knee injury which prevented him from getting as forward as he usually does and he was batting with an openning partner who was self-destructing both personally and professionally.

But yes, he did seem to struggle on the English pitches, something I'm sure he will rectify come next year.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Of course he could hardly take wickets without bowling to them 8-)

What I said was that he was outperforming the rest of the attack as a whole before those series, and thus shouldn't have been the first head on the chopping block.

In fact of all the nations he's opposed (7 so far by the way), only against Australia has he not out-performed the rest of the attack (and even then his economy rate was 3.43 compared with 4.22, and the team as a whole were taking wickets at about 47 or so a time)

Of course, his continual wicket-hauls are now increasingly becoming a source of amusement after your proclamations and long may it continue to sow you up is what I say.
The main reason his economy-rate against Australia was so low was because of his extraordinary ability to spray usually 2 balls an over down leg - not even Ponting can reasonably be expected to score off them.
For the first half of the series against Australia, his bowling average was 100, for all but the last innings of the South Africa series it was 72 (and even at the end of the series there were 3 bowlers with better averages than him).
So, as I have shown time and again, it is largely the case that Harmison was the worst of a bad bunch with end-of-series redemption followed by weak-team redemption up to the Caribbean tour, and thereafter what came before becomes largely insignificant. Because recent success eclipses past failure, except if your name is Mark Ramprakash.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Taking the wicket of Matthew Hayden is very simple, in any form of cricket

Which explains his Test average being in excess of 50 then.

If only it were that simple...

Andre

International Regular
Richard said:
Hayden has been shown time and again to be very, very vulnerable to deliveries like the one which Saggers bowled to Richardson at Headingley in the first-innings.
That is the reason I say Saggers would murder Hayden if he bowled at him with a new ball in England.
Saggers may murder Langer, who struggles with the ball swinging into him - see AA, Australia vs India 03/04.

Hayden, meanwhile, murders most inswing but struggles against outswingers, so I imagine he would eat Saggers for breakfast.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richard said:
You should send out your resume. I'm sure Shoaib, Vaas, Pollock, Ntini etc. would all be itching for your intuitive instructions. Hayden is a muppet.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richard said:
You should send out your resume. I'm sure Shoaib, Vaas, Pollock, Ntini etc. would all be itching for your intuitive instructions. Hayden is a muppet.

What's that you say? A muppet who averages over 55 in Test cricket?

Ah, but he's never met Martin "35.28 per Test wicket" Saggers.