• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can anyone tell me when...

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
It never happened, he's just bitter because a player he had consistently written off as rubbish is actually very good.
Or maybe he wanted to know the wedding date between Harmison and Nicholas as he apparently has a tendency to go oon about him. Bit like Botham, except this was before his purple patch with the ball.

Swervy

International Captain
superkingdave said:
Its about the worst place in the world you could come from
more specifically, Bradford or Keighley in West Yorkshire are the worst places you could come from

Langeveldt

Soutie
I work in a Coffee shop on the motorway, and you can always tell who is from Yorkshire, even if the accent doesnt give it away..
They are always really tight with their money and their thanks, look in you at awe as if you are in charge of the prices Costa set..
They are also for the large part extremely stupid.. I am fed up of hearing "Do you sell tea or coffee?" I spect if I asked them if they would like some Cyanide in their Frescato they would say "aye, as long as its free"

I usually jokingly mickey-take stereotypes, but I am serious, most Yorkies absolutely suck... :(

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Thanks a lot. :huh:
You do have a point - it is a county where, in my experience, there are lots who are reluctant to part with their cash.
But you've got to look at it in context. So many families have always had a hard existance and to crab together enough for a trip down this far south, let alone a stop at a service-station, is difficult for many. You can go all the way back to the mining background which so many can trace back to. In a way it's even harder without that mass employer nowadays.
Being tight with the cash is understandible for some.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
It never happened, he's just bitter because a player he had consistently written off as rubbish is actually very good.
Or maybe he just got sick of the constant going-on about the phenominal abilities of one bowler. Even to go as far as "is a terrific bowler" when the respective bowler had just taken his first wicket after conceding 109 runs in the match, with a delivery which would not even have hit the stumps but for an inside-edge.

Craig

World Traveller
Langeveldt said:
I work in a Coffee shop on the motorway, and you can always tell who is from Yorkshire, even if the accent doesnt give it away..
They are always really tight with their money and their thanks, look in you at awe as if you are in charge of the prices Costa set..
They are also for the large part extremely stupid.. I am fed up of hearing "Do you sell tea or coffee?" I spect if I asked them if they would like some Cyanide in their Frescato they would say "aye, as long as its free"

I usually jokingly mickey-take stereotypes, but I am serious, most Yorkies absolutely suck... :(
Maybe I was a Yorkshiremn in a previous life, because I most definatly have the habit of watching what I spend, sometimes very tight. It was once joked I would open up my wallet one day and a moth would come out.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hard Harry said:
I don't know how you can be so dismissive of a bowler's ability on "non-seamers" after such a short career. Since the tour of India he's played six tests, more than a quarter of his career to date, and as I said, he's been carrying an injury.
Well we'll see as his career unfolds further. However, I do think a Test-career in the early 20s can begin to reveal a pattern, even one in the late teens. And the fact is, apart from that Second Test, Tuffey's taken wickets very, very expensively on non-seaming wickets, injured or not.
So? Where did those seven wickets come from? Did he pull them out of his backside? Anil Kumble could only cobble together a series average in the late 30s, does this make him hopeless in conditions that don't suit him?
Yes, it does, we've certainly seen that over a very long career.
Kumble is useful only when the ball is turning significantly.
Likewise, it seems Tuffey is useful when the ball is seaming and not otherwise.
And where are your stats to back this up? Perhaps in the same mythical cubbyhole as your first chance averages? Every bowler, no matter who they are, is going to have a higher average on runway-like pitches.
No mythical cubbyhole entraps anything about first-chance averages - they are a fact, whether widely recognised and valued or not.
And yes, perfectly true seamers are totally to be expected to average lower on seamers than non-seamers, but Tuffey is more than just the to-be-expected:
Flat wickets in England (even if his injury was affecting him): 82
Flat wickets in New Zealand against South Africa: 72
Wickets on which I can't comment certainly but am willing to bet offered at least something to the seamers (v Pakistan): 29
Second Test in India, flat as anything: 7 for 110
Equally flat wicket for First Test in India: 1 for 121
Flat wickets in Sri Lanka: 58.5
Notorious seamers in New Zealand against India: 8.69
Wicket in West Indies on which I can't comment, read Pakistan: 2 for 59
Wicket in Pakistan that offered nothing to seamers: 2 for 94
Wicket at Eden Park that I am more sure than any others was very, very good for seam and uneven bounce: 9 for 116
First and Third Test of NZ-Pak series (can't comment on the wickets but am prepared to bet offered a lot to the seamers): 15.43
Second Test of that series, drop-in which offered nothing to any bowler: 2 for 152
Flat wickets in South Africa: 64.66
Wicket in New Zealand for Australia match (can't comment, someone fill-in): 0 for 127
That's all I can provide, that's what's suggested to me what I've mentioned are my views.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
Wicket in New Zealand for Australia match (can't comment, someone fill-in): 0 for 127
It wouldn't have mattered what state that pitch was in, he didn't use it. To his defense - it was his debut & Australia had a very strong line-up. Even still, he bowled like ****e!

yaju

State Vice-Captain
At one time Yorkshire was my favourite county team because it had Gavin Hamilton in it.

Its good to see that my english is like a britisher.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Richard said:
Thanks a lot. :huh:
You do have a point - it is a county where, in my experience, there are lots who are reluctant to part with their cash.
But you've got to look at it in context. So many families have always had a hard existance and to crab together enough for a trip down this far south, let alone a stop at a service-station, is difficult for many. You can go all the way back to the mining background which so many can trace back to. In a way it's even harder without that mass employer nowadays.
Being tight with the cash is understandible for some.
Well fair enough, but it doesn't give them an excuse for being rude.. Ive mostly found people from poorer backgrounds to be happier and more approachable abroad, not so in England it seems.. Although Im beginning to wonder if anyone is happy here...

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
Well fair enough, but it doesn't give them an excuse for being rude.. Ive mostly found people from poorer backgrounds to be happier and more approachable abroad, not so in England it seems.. Although Im beginning to wonder if anyone is happy here...
We're all happy inside, just if we look too happy Gordon might raise taxes ;)