• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can anybody finds this astonishing.....

Eclipse said:
I dont think he should be droped.. but ppl do have to accept he is never going to be the same again.
That i agree, Sachin will never be the same again.

righht now Sachin is an automatic selection in Indian team (regardless of his form).I'm just wondering that if he continue to perform poorly for another year or so, then will the selectors dare to drop Sachin?

However i think Sachin will be able to get some big score every now and then and thus will secure his place in team.

wahindiawah

Banned
Its just a bad patch and Sachin will surely come out of it. I wouldn't be surprised to see Sachin score a ton in the 2nd test againts SA, if that happens then Sachin bashers will be running for covers :p

biased indian

International Coach
SJS said:
These are 17 consecutive scores by an Australian great (batsman).

277 runs at an average of 17. These innings are spread over exactly 24 months, so his bad form did last !!

I have not checked but its possible he was dropped (he wasnt a legend when his bad spell started) during this period but his terrible bad form did last 2 years with no fifty in 17 innings and 10 test matches.

But boy, did he come back ? He came back to score another 8000 test runs.
is he S.Waugh

Swervy

International Captain
TendulkarFan said:
Success draws as much contempt and jealousy as praise. It's been clear for a while now that there is a group that absolutely despises Tendulkar and his status and now that he seems to be down, all the daggers are coming out.

Those who are even contemplating dropping Sachin, now or in the future, must be on crack. He is too classy a player to be dropped. On top of that, he's only 31 - I'd say he has at least 3 more years if not more.

Not only does Sachin perform with the bat, but he
- provides a huge psychological boost to Team India
- is a legend and an inspiration to his younger teammates who will go through a wall just to get some praise from him
- is still a useful bowler and one of the safest fielders in the side
- probably the smartest cricketer in the Indian team and also the best student of the game (he picks up opposition strategies quite quickly and passes them on to Ganguly who almost always goes to his two smartest cricketers, Dravid/Tendulkar, for consultation)
- brings tons of experience and maturity to a young team

I agree he hasn't performed up to his usual standards with the bat the last 2 years but the entire anti-Tendulkar faction quickly seems to forget (or perhaps does it intentionally) that he has had the most significant injury problems of his entire career during this 2 year phase. Once he gets over it, the class will show again. I have no doubts.
hey i am most certainly not anti-Tendulkar, I think he has been a brilliant batsman,and when playing well,I have watched him play with my jaw on the floor in disbeleif that anyone can be so good...but the question must be asked 'How long can he go on playing poorly before the selectors consider dropping him'...what ever you think, the selectors would be out of there minds to allow anyone to continue in the team for a further 2 years whilst playing so poorly..there must be a time if he continues that he has to be dropped.

What if this spell of low scores continues for the next 50 innings..would you still want him in the team??All I am saying is if he continues like he is for say another year and then retires or gets dropped or whatever, he will be considered to be a player that was brilliant but went on too long past his sell by date, which would be sad for him and Indian fans.

If he starts scoring consistantly next innings onwards, fine..he has got out of his slump..but no-one has yet to answer the question of how long could he continue in the team whilst not contributing runs consistantly

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
These are 17 consecutive scores by an Australian great (batsman).

277 runs at an average of 17. These innings are spread over exactly 24 months, so his bad form did last !!

I have not checked but its possible he was dropped (he wasnt a legend when his bad spell started) during this period but his terrible bad form did last 2 years with no fifty in 17 innings and 10 test matches.

But boy, did he come back ? He came back to score another 8000 test runs.
I assume that's Steve Waugh, unless someone else managed to replicate that same sequence of scores....
Waugh did get dropped for a year and a half after the 4*, then came back to score a century against Walsh, Ambrose and co. in the third match of his return. Australia at the time was not nearly as strong as it is now, so it's quite likely that if a young player produced that run of scores today they would be dropped much quicker. The current Australian side is full of players who have been dropped after poor starts only to come back much better - Hayden, Martyn, Langer, Kasprowicz etc...

Anyway, back on topic - Tendulkar has still managed to average over 40 in that period, even if he hasn't been consistently making starts. With a batting lineup like India's, I think it is more important for batsmen to make big contributions occasionally rather than small contributions regularly, as they can usually rely on other batsmen to perform when others don't. In other words India would be better off with a batsman who makes a 200 and four ducks than one who makes five 30's.

Swervy

International Captain
on the subject of slumps in form..Greg chappell in the early 80's went through a horrible run of form during which there were very very strong rumbles in the media and the public calling for him to be dropped..and he was captain of Australia at the time. The calls for his dropping came in a slump that didnt last anywhere near as long as Tendulkars..this is what his run of scores was in the two series in which the public disquiet reverberated around Australia (at the time I felt really sorry for Chappell because he genuinely looked out of touch,sometimes it looked like he couldnt even lay bat on ball,it was embarressing for him occassionally)

22,6,201,22,0,0,6,12,0,61,7 ( a duck also preceeds this run from the previous summer)

so in the space of a season those were his scores..that run lasted 3 months and the aussies were seriously considering dropping him..Tendulkars has lasted 2 years,and most of you think its a joke that he can be talked about being dropped sometime in the future if his current slump continues on....bizarre

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
TendulkarFan said:
Those who are even contemplating dropping Sachin, now or in the future, must be on crack. He is too classy a player to be dropped. On top of that, he's only 31 - I'd say he has at least 3 more years if not more.
3 more years of this level of performance?!

TendulkarFan said:
Not only does Sachin perform with the bat
But the point is he isn't actually performing with the bat.

Choora

State Regular
Suppose that Tendulkar had been playing for Australia, then would the Aussie selectors had dropped him from the team on the basis of his poor form?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Choora said:
Suppose that Tendulkar had been playing for Australia, then would the Aussie selectors had dropped him from the team on the basis of his poor form?
Given that Lehmann's under threat for a much better run of form, quite possibly.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
Lehmann has Michael Clarke and Simon Katich snapping at his toes. Who would replace Sachin? Kaif or Yuvraj?

Choora

State Regular
I wonder as to whether Sachin is merely going through a bad patch or is he near the end of the road?

I don't really think the Indian selectors are going to drop sachin, if he continue to fail consistently then i think he will himself announce retirement.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
viktor said:
Lehmann has Michael Clarke and Simon Katich snapping at his toes. Who would replace Sachin? Kaif or Yuvraj?
But if Sachin were Australia (which was the original suggestion) it would be Clarke and Katich snapping at his toes, not Kaif and Yuvraj.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
But if Sachin were Australia (which was the original suggestion) it would be Clarke and Katich snapping at his toes, not Kaif and Yuvraj.
Ohh, I didn't read the previous pages. I thought Lehmann was supposed to be an analogy to Sachin.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
viktor said:
Ohh, I didn't read the previous pages. I thought Lehmann was supposed to be an analogy to Sachin.
Common mistake. I do see and agree with your point re: Sachin though. No viable replacement has stepped up yet. The potential of Sachin every time he walks to the crease would easily book him for me ahead of Kaif or Yuvraj.