• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brian Lara vs Saeed Anwar (ODI's only)

Saeed Anwar vs Brian Lara ODI's only?

• Total voters

AaronK

State Regular
without a doubt.. i loved to watch saeed play..i enjoyed his cut shots.. but Lara better player.. so voted for lara..

SaeedAnwar

U19 Debutant
Lara was amazing but in Odi's he had two phases, from 1990 to 1998 he averaged around 47, which was amazing considering during that period he played in the top 3 slots in batting, but from about 1999 to 2007 he only averaged in his mid 30's as a one day batsmen, and because of this his career average ended just over 40.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Dont like comparing openers to middle-order bats at the ebst of times. But i do believe when Lara did open in ODIs, he was quite fantastic - probably better Anwar.

brackenNY

School Boy/Girl Captain
Dont like comparing openers to middle-order bats at the ebst of times. But i do believe when Lara did open in ODIs, he was quite fantastic - probably better Anwar.
Yeah, Anwar's at a disadvantage because he was opening- and not just opening for any country, but Pakistan.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Anwar at a disadvantage because he wasn't Lara. FFS, I'm a big Anwar fan but how can you compare the two? Different classes altogether.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Who is the better batsman -

Saeed Anwar or Ajit Agarkar?
Agarkar has a hundred at Lords.

If Lara had continued to opening he would have challenged Sachin spot as the best ever odi bat, still don't know why he stopped opening.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain

If Lara had continued to opening he would have challenged Sachin spot as the best ever odi bat, still don't know why he stopped opening.
I was of the belief that Lara stopped opening just to give some solidarity to the middle-order. A brilliant Lara half-century opening the batting was often followed by 5/60 loss in the middle/lower order.

SaeedAnwar

U19 Debutant

i dont know how he hit that century at lords, other then that innings his test batting record is terrible 8-)

SaeedAnwar

U19 Debutant
I was of the belief that Lara stopped opening just to give some solidarity to the middle-order. A brilliant Lara half-century opening the batting was often followed by 5/60 loss in the middle/lower order.

it was really bad decision, atleast when lara was up there many times they had a good start.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Lara in every form of the game, and by quite a good margin...

Lara is very easily among the best 5-6 ODI batsmen I've seen playing (including openers and middle-order bats)...And Anwar would probably just be among the best 5-6 ODI openers I've seen playing...

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
also did lara score century against every team? i think he did.
Tendulkar is close to a unique record in tests - scoring a century home and away v all teams in tests. Only Zimbabwe away and Bangladesh home are missing I think. As Zimbabwe don't play tests any longer this is one record Tendulkar probably won't have.

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
Do people realise this is ODI only? That means Lara's first class record should not be taken into account. The comprehension levels around here are amazingly low. And what the hell does Tendulkar have to do with this thread? The OP clearly stated Anwar and Lara in ODI's only.

One giant facepalm, kiddies.

I think Anwar did a lot to revamp ODI cricket with his attacking style. A strike rate of 80 is good but not brilliant these days it was pretty good back in the early 90's, especially for a top order batsman.

Can someone explain to me what is so brilliant about Lara's ODI record? Anwar still holds the highest ODI score.

While I believe Lara is probably the best test batsman to debut post second world war, his impact on ODI's was always marginal. The way he through his wicket away against Australia in the 96 world cup semi final will always be a black mark on his name. West Indies should have won that game easily and gone into the final.

Though Anwar wasnt in the 1992 winning team.

Its a close call but I believe Anwar had a larger impact on ODI's as Lara though they were about equal in their ODI performances.

Last edited:

Naumaan

First Class Debutant
unfair with saeed anwer to compare him with lara, offcourse lara will be better in all forms of the game

MrIncredible

U19 Cricketer
Do people realise this is ODI only? That means Lara's first class record should not be taken into account. The comprehension levels around here are amazingly low. And what the hell does Tendulkar have to do with this thread? The OP clearly stated Anwar and Lara in ODI's only.

One giant facepalm, kiddies.

I think Anwar did a lot to revamp ODI cricket with his attacking style. A strike rate of 80 is good but not brilliant these days it was pretty good back in the early 90's, especially for a top order batsman.

Can someone explain to me what is so brilliant about Lara's ODI record? Anwar still holds the highest ODI score.

While I believe Lara is probably the best test batsman to debut post second world war, his impact on ODI's was always marginal. The way he through his wicket away against Australia in the 96 world cup semi final will always be a black mark on his name. West Indies should have won that game easily and gone into the final.

Though Anwar wasnt in the 1992 winning team.

Its a close call but I believe Anwar had a larger impact on ODI's as Lara though they were about equal in their ODI performances.
Looking at Lara's record it seems modest but thats only because the great man fell off tremendously in the mid 2000 (when he should have probably retired). People like me rank him highly (and above Anwar) because we remember him takin apart the best ODI fast bowlers in the early 90s in the Total intl series in RSA (93), in the World cup 92, WSC 96/97 in Oz, 153 in ODI final in Sharjah vs Waqar etc,