• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brian Lara vs Saeed Anwar (ODI's only)

Saeed Anwar vs Brian Lara ODI's only?

• Total voters

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Do people realise this is ODI only? That means Lara's first class record should not be taken into account. The comprehension levels around here are amazingly low. And what the hell does Tendulkar have to do with this thread? The OP clearly stated Anwar and Lara in ODI's only.

One giant facepalm, kiddies.

I think Anwar did a lot to revamp ODI cricket with his attacking style. A strike rate of 80 is good but not brilliant these days it was pretty good back in the early 90's, especially for a top order batsman.

Can someone explain to me what is so brilliant about Lara's ODI record? Anwar still holds the highest ODI score.

While I believe Lara is probably the best test batsman to debut post second world war, his impact on ODI's was always marginal. The way he through his wicket away against Australia in the 96 world cup semi final will always be a black mark on his name. West Indies should have won that game easily and gone into the final.

Though Anwar wasnt in the 1992 winning team.

Its a close call but I believe Anwar had a larger impact on ODI's as Lara though they were about equal in their ODI performances.
Congratulations, you've won the most up themselves newbie of the year award

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
Congratulations, you've won the most up themselves newbie of the year award
Someone with an IQ above 50 has to put things straight. Too many ******** morons like yourself who can't read.

The OP obviously picked two players with similar ODI records and asked people to debate which was a better player in a particular form of the game. The OP clearly and unambiguously stated what this thread was about.

But yet again retards like yourself bring Tendulkar into it (OMG! someone made a thread about Lara so we MUST mention Tendulkar)

And if the fact the chimps around here can't distinguish between test, first class, ODI and List A makes me up myself (why did you use a plural pronoun instead of the singular yourself?) then so be it.

http://www.rhlschool.co/reading.htm

You obviously need it.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Someone with an IQ above 50 has to put things straight. Too many ******** morons like yourself who can't read.

The OP obviously picked two players with similar ODI records and asked people to debate which was a better player in a particular form of the game. The OP clearly and unambiguously stated what this thread was about.

But yet again retards like yourself bring Tendulkar into it (OMG! someone made a thread about Lara so we MUST mention Tendulkar)

And if the fact the chimps around here can't distinguish between test, first class, ODI and List A makes me up myself (why did you use a plural pronoun instead of the singular yourself?) then so be it.

http://www.rhlschool.co/reading.htm

You obviously need it.
:laugh: You'll last long round here. You'll see that I hadn't participated in the thread at all, so never brought Tendulkar into anything. However on a forum like this discussion will always evolve beyond the thread starter's initial question, if there is a problem with what people are discussing then that is for the mods to decide, not someone smug like you who for some reason thinks they are superior to everybody else. I have never had any desire to post my IQ on this forum but I certainly won't be losing any sleep over someone like you accusing me of being unable to read.

As for why I used the plural pronoun - would have thought it was obvious. I mockingly stated that there was an award for the "Most up themselves newbie" because a "Most up yourself newbie" title wouldn't really make any sense prior to it being awarded to said person. Nice try, though.

Naumaan

First Class Debutant
Saeed Anwer's ODI Record
Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave BF SR 100 50 4s 6s Ct St
247 244 19 8824 194 39.21 10938 80.67 20 43 938 97 42 0

Brain Lara's ODI Record
299 289 32 10405 169 40.48 13086 79.51 19 63 1035 133 120 0

Sattistically not much to choose between them

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think Anwar did a lot to revamp ODI cricket with his attacking style. A strike rate of 80 is good but not brilliant these days it was pretty good back in the early 90's, especially for a top order batsman.
Virtually no-one manages to combine an 80+ SR with a 40+ average. Only 3 openers have managed it in the history of the game: Graeme Smith, Chris Gayle and Sachin Tendulkar.

brackenNY

School Boy/Girl Captain
Saeed Anwer's ODI Record
247 244 19 8824 194 39.21 10938 80.67 20 43 938 97 42 0

Brain Lara's ODI Record
299 289 32 10405 169 40.48 13086 79.51 19 63 1035 133 120 0

Sattistically not much to choose between them
wow... they are almost identical. except lara has 52 more matches.

SaeedAnwar

U19 Debutant
^ well to be fair to Lara, he was averaging 47 in his career around 1998 when he crossed 5000 ODI runs against England that summer, but then he dropped to 40.48 by the end of his career.

Saeed Anwar never averaged more then 41 in his Career.

But by the end they had very similar records. Overall I rate Lara better obviously, but the period between 1999-2007 really ruined his batting average simply because I think he didn't take One day matches seriously enough after 1999. He mostly focused on test matches between 1999-2007

Last edited:

SaeedAnwar

U19 Debutant
Actually i just rechecked Lara's record, He was acutally still averaging almost 44 by the end of 2003 when he had already crossed 8500 ODI runs, He had a better average then Sachin most of his One day Career, But between 2003-2007 lara just averaged only just over 30 and this is the reason his averaged dropped, He should have retired from ODI cricket end of 2003

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I don't think he should have retired. He was still good enough to make the West Indies squad and was helping West Indies cricket till he could. If he was in a team like Australia, he may should have retired or would have probably been dropped.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Dont like comparing openers to middle-order bats at the ebst of times. But i do believe when Lara did open in ODIs, he was quite fantastic - probably better Anwar.

Originally Anwar was a middle order batsman..........but rightly put....middle order batsmen don't face as much movement of the ball as the openers...