• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brad Hogg

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I think people who are suggesting he's better than MacGill on form are taking it way too far, but he's definitely a useful option, and what he adds with the bat and in the field makes up somewhat for the fact that he's less threatening with the ball. I thought he bowled pretty well in Melbourne, and showed at least that his wrong'un is still almost impossible to pick at test level, like in ODIs. If Indian batsmen can't pick it, nobody will, and that's going to be a consistent wicket taking weapon for the next season or two.

Flipper isn't bad either. Has some problems with accuracy, but then so did MacGill and that didn't stop him being a very good test bowler.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Al, you've gone mad surely? That's 6 posts in 1 day! :blink: Including 2 before 6AM. Most for you in the last 2 years at least, surely?

On related matters, surely time for another confirming your interest or otherwise in the meetup thread?
Nah, may have had a double figure day or two, but yeah, pretty sparse lately.

Probably not going to bother with the meetup methinks.

Malleeboy

U19 12th Man
FaaipDeOiad,

MacGill didn't get selected on form but on reputation, on current form Hogg is better than MacGill. MacGill has the greater potential and clearly at his best was a better bowler. The question is can he recover his form to any extent? Hogg only has to hold his own against the Indians (who play spin as well as any team) and I think he should get first crack at the spinning spot. If he can trouble the Indians then he will trouble other teams more. He is fitter, better team man and his battings a bonus. MacGill needs to recovering from the surgery and then get fit and if he can show glimpses of his old form in state cricket, then and only then IMHO should he get another crack at the test team.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyone want to bet he ends up with a bowling average of greater than 40 for the series? Avatar for a week.
Very tricky, but a cunning bet.

MacGill M-4 W-14 Avg-50.78 ER-3.65 SR-83.4
Warne M-5 W-9 Avg-62.55 ER-2.88 SR-130.0
Neither Warne no MacGill averages below 40 against India in Austrailia. Why should Hogg average less than that?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I think people who are suggesting he's better than MacGill on form are taking it way too far, but he's definitely a useful option, and what he adds with the bat and in the field makes up somewhat for the fact that he's less threatening with the ball. I thought he bowled pretty well in Melbourne, and showed at least that his wrong'un is still almost impossible to pick at test level, like in ODIs. If Indian batsmen can't pick it, nobody will, and that's going to be a consistent wicket taking weapon for the next season or two.

Flipper isn't bad either. Has some problems with accuracy, but then so did MacGill and that didn't stop him being a very good test bowler.
Problem is MacGill is absolute crap against good players of spin (IND and SL, against whom averages 40+), but may be deadly against other teams. The difference with Aussie, Lankan and Indian batsmen with spinners are they somehow defend that absolute ripper that MacGill bowls, but thrashes anything marginally off. Indians especially don;t like to be tied down by soinners because of their big super ego to dominate spin. Hogg is way batter in these aspects against good players of spin, Add to that MacGill was so easily picked by Lankans (Indians wll do it way better than Lankans) that at any point of time batsman can come down and hammer MacGill over long on and off. Since Indians cannot pick hogg, this is unlikely to happen except with Sehwag and Pathan. Horses for courses mainly.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
What are the Hogg critics after, sure he's no Warne or Murali with the ball but compare him with the spinners in some other teams? A Giles comes to mind, Hogg is IMHO much more likely to get top order wickets, if alone for the fact that there are so few left arm over the wrist bowlers around. Or compare to Boje for the saffers.

May never be a champion bowler but like Colin Miller did will do the job for a couple of seasons, as well as give variety to the attack, a few handy lower order runs and good feilding.
But the point of a bowler is not simply to be 'not-crap'. You pick the best four bowlers, and I can't see Hogg being one of the best four bowlers in Australia, except in very specific circumstances (massive turning wicket, subcontinent, etc).

Julian87

State Captain
Problem is MacGill is absolute crap against good players of spin (IND and SL, against whom averages 40+), but may be deadly against other teams. .

Bull****. When Australia toured the Windies and Warne was playing witha ****ed up shoulder and Lara and Jimmy Adams were spanking the spinners' backsides, MacGill got the nod.

The above statement is pure speculation and utter tripe tbh. I really like Brad Hogg and hope he does well, but **** me is her overated in Australian cricket. He not only has a poor test bowling average but an abysmal FC bowling average.

And everyone thinks he bowled like a champion in this match. Well think back to the first innings when Tendulkar and Ganguly were tearing him apart and he had no answer. He looked like a year 5 kid bowling to the best player in year 12. He got wickets when the pressure was off and that is all there is to it. Hasn't proved a single thing yet.

He is great with the bat as well tbh. But so are Lee, Johnson and Clark for the positions they bat in. His batting means **** all to me, it's his bowling that matters overall IMO.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
And everyone thinks he bowled like a champion in this match. Well think back to the first innings when Tendulkar and Ganguly were tearing him apart and he had no answer. He looked like a year 5 kid bowling to the best player in year 12. He got wickets when the pressure was off and that is all there is to it. Hasn't proved a single thing yet.

He is great with the bat as well tbh. But so are Lee, Johnson and Clark for the positions they bat in. His batting means **** all to me, it's his bowling that matters overall IMO.
Haha, what were you expecting? Honestly, what an embarrassing post for you. Did you want Hogg to rip right through the two best players of spin in the world? We're not looking for another Warne. I would call bowling for your career enough pressure really.

Of course Hogg's primary role is as a bowler. But you can't say a lower-order batsmen who will regularly contribute 20's and 30's means nothing at all. Could change a match.

Julian87

State Captain
Haha, what were you expecting? Honestly, what an embarrassing post for you. Did you want Hogg to rip right through the two best players of spin in the world? We're not looking for another Warne. I would call bowling for your career enough pressure really.

Of course Hogg's primary role is as a bowler. But you can't say a lower-order batsmen who will regularly contribute 20's and 30's means nothing at all. Could change a match.
I was expecting exactly what happened tbh. And Tendulkar and Ganguly are no longer two of the best. He was completely out of his depth when under pressure IMO.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Bull****. When Australia toured the Windies and Warne was playing witha ****ed up shoulder and Lara and Jimmy Adams were spanking the spinners' backsides, MacGill got the nod.
One of the best jokes of new year. Jimmy Adams spanking spinners! prabably with his pads! Jimmy Padams.

But, you cannot deny how disrespectful Indians and Lankans were of MacGill. At least Hogg is getting a lot of respect from them.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, did Warne look different from any thing to that (or even Worse than that) when Navjot Sidhu, Md. Azharuddin and Young Tendulkar was dishing out that infamous attack on him in India (where he got 0/147 at a rate of 4 per over)?

And then I am not even going to talk about how horrible MacGill looked against Indians previous time aroung.

Any bowler can get attacked and can look out of sorts, but that's temporary. Trying to judge a player when he's got pasted for few is very unfair by him.

nibbs

International Captain
Brad Hogg is clearly a good guy. He is an adult and has been one for many years and will be one for many years to come. Yet despite all of this, he still lets his mother cut his hair.

Hoggy31

International Captain

The above statement is pure speculation and utter tripe tbh. I really like Brad Hogg and hope he does well, but **** me is her overated in Australian cricket. He not only has a poor test bowling average but an abysmal FC bowling average.

Stats don't tell the story, ****.

In the last 5 years when he has started bowling at the top of his game he averages around 28, whereas MacGill averages 35. Hogg's first 3 or 4 seasons were as a batsman who could bowl a bit (his first was really as a batsman, only 5 overs or something).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
IMO is without doubt the most commonly-used acronym on CW. Though TBH TBH does come close.

Either way, it still irritates me to see people using non-CAPitalised acronyms for some and CAPitalised for others. Why not just do one thing or t'other?

And if there's anyone who TBH has become a word in itself to, it's me. Do I de-CAPitalise it? No.