• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brad Hogg

masterblaster

International Captain
Is he the worst spinner in Australia?
Im surprised that Australia are selecting him.
I would have Nathan Hauritz in there instead of him.
Hogg proved that he was a liability with the bat, ball and in the field.

Not Happy Hoggy

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Hogg is an essential part of the AUstralia cricket team.

He makes us all believe that no matter how bad we are at this great game called cricket, we still have the ability and the co-ordination required to play international cricket :)

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oh come on! We're talking about someone who's only playing early days in his career! Sheesh, if you judge a player so harshly early on, I guess you'd look at Marvan Atapattu and say he was a liability after his first 6 Test innings...............

1) He's not a liability in the field at all. He's actually well known around Australia as a VERY good fielder. He had a bad night and missed one chance. He wasn't the only one. Would you call Bevan a liability in the field because of the easy catch he dropped? Of course not yet his was much easier than Hoggs.

2) He came out to bat when the slog was on and what he did just didn't come off.

3) It's not as if he was the only bowler who got belted. ALL of the Aussie bowlers too a lot of stick and Shane Watson had THREE sixes hit off him alone. Does this mean he's a crappy bowler? No it means that Sanath Jayasuriya batted out of his skin last night.

Worst spinner in Australia? Yeah he must be bad. The Aussie selectors don't know what they're doing, right? :rolleyes:

Brad Hogg didn't cover himself in glory there's no doubt about that. But neither did most of the other Aussies. Be reasonable.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Top_Cat said:
Oh come on! We're talking about someone who's only playing early days in his career! Sheesh, if you judge a player so harshly early on, I guess you'd look at Marvan Atapattu and say he was a liability after his first 6 Test innings...............
No we aren't, we're talking about a player who has been playing FC cricket for 7 or 8 seasons, and hasn't done anything in FC cricket or domestic OD cricket to be given his place in this Australian team.

Top_Cat said:

1) He's not a liability in the field at all. He's actually well known around Australia as a VERY good fielder. He had a bad night and missed one chance. He wasn't the only one. Would you call Bevan a liability in the field because of the easy catch he dropped? Of course not yet his was much easier than Hoggs.
I agree that Hogg is a good fielder, but that was a shocking attempt at a catch last night.

Top_Cat said:

2) He came out to bat when the slog was on and what he did just didn't come off.
agreed, and he's a better batsmen than bowler (thats pretty obvious) and he's batting is average at best.

Top_Cat said:

3) It's not as if he was the only bowler who got belted. ALL of the Aussie bowlers too a lot of stick and Shane Watson had THREE sixes hit off him alone. Does this mean he's a crappy bowler? No it means that Sanath Jayasuriya batted out of his skin last night.

Worst spinner in Australia? Yeah he must be bad. The Aussie selectors don't know what they're doing, right? :rolleyes:
He is the worst regular FC cricket in Australia, and i seriously don't know how he has gotten to play for WA for such a long time. His a part-time bowler and an average batsmen at best. Hes an average to good first grade cricketer.

Top_Cat said:

Brad Hogg didn't cover himself in glory there's no doubt about that. But neither did most of the other Aussies. Be reasonable.
Hogg has never covered himself in glory at any level. He really hasn't done anything in his FC career, but has got whole heap of matches.

Adrian Tucker, who played first grade for my club for 10 or so seasons is a much better bowler and he can bat abit - he retired at the start of last season.

There are many better players around than Brad Hogg, and i can not work out what he's done to get selected in the Australian team. To be honest, i dont know what he's done to keep his place in the WA team for so long.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah he averages 30 with the bat and 46 with the ball :O :O :O in FC Cricket! And he's getting up to 100 Wickets too...

Australia's AA anyone? :lol:

I'm not going to say he's totally rubbish, but like with Symonds I think there are many more deserving. And the Selectors picked him for the World Cup when there were many more qualified, deserving and experianced, even Hauritz is more experianced...

Langeveldt

Soutie
From what I have seen of him, he doesnt look too bad, and the world isnt exactly brimming full of slow left arm chinamen, so hes plying his trade on his own almost. He looks better than what spin i have seen from the Poms this ashes series, but they could do with a man called Shane back in their squad

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Langeveldt said:
From what I have seen of him, he doesnt look too bad, and the world isnt exactly brimming full of slow left arm chinamen, so hes plying his trade on his own almost. He looks better than what spin i have seen from the Poms this ashes series, but they could do with a man called Shane back in their squad
I'd like to state now that we have never picked a player with a FC Average of 46...40 yes but not 46...

chris.hinton

International Captain
Rik said:
I'd like to state now that we have never picked a player with a FC Average of 46...40 yes but not 46...
brad hogg is one of the best 5 leg spinners in the world the other 4 are Warne,Macgill,Kumble,Kaneria

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Langeveldt said:
Michael Bevan?

Langeveldt

Soutie
yeh but averages arent everything, especially when you are bowling something almost unique nowadays. Although Dawson is a newcomer, I wouldnt think his FC and test averages are too flash.

By the way Marc71178, Bevan is a bit of a part timer. The only other full time SLC i can think of is Paul Adams (SA)

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
lol, should have picked shane lee, they might well of if had had been bowling more recently , hes a good clean hitter and a descant bowler

Langeveldt

Soutie
My five best leggies in the world

Shane Warne
Paul Strang (If he plays again)
Stewart MacGill
Dinanath Ramnarine
Danish Kaneria

Kumble bowls a bit too flat and quick for my liking. He only spins his googly and rarely bowls a proper spinning leg break. He is still a good bowler though

hourn

U19 Cricketer
chris.hinton said:
brad hogg is one of the best 5 leg spinners in the world the other 4 are Warne,Macgill,Kumble,Kaneria

Brad HOgg isn't a spinner primarily. He's a moderate FC batsmen who can bowl abit, and at times handely, but has somehow managed to eke out 60 FC games.

Wouldn't be a front line bowler in a lot of Sydney First Grade Clubs.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Langeveldt said:
My five best leggies in the world

Shane Warne
Paul Strang (If he plays again)
Stewart MacGill
Dinanath Ramnarine
Danish Kaneria

Kumble bowls a bit too flat and quick for my liking. He only spins his googly and rarely bowls a proper spinning leg break. He is still a good bowler though
Paul Strang won't, he's retired sadly.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Cam white pretty good, buy es only 19 or 20, and cause pf macgill and warne you wont see him on the international scene for a couple of years

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
age_master said:
Cam white pretty good, buy es only 19 or 20, and cause pf macgill and warne you wont see him on the international scene for a couple of years
He's not done a lot in FC Cricket yet. You can never tell if a player will make it or not. It is a bit early to say something like that.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
You forget Rik, he's an Aussie, and in the eyes of certain forum members, that means he's already ahead of most players.