• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brad Haddin replacement discussion thread

Brad Haddin's replacement

• Total voters

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tim Paine | Australia Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo
http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Players/34/34382/34382.html

Pros:
Back up for a couple of years; good enough performances during this time
Got good leadership ability (we assume)
Generally seen as a player with the right mixture of keeping and batting skill

Cons:
Has barely played a game for 2 years because he has a dead finger and is out for the season right now
Shield record seen as below par by some (mainly by me, actually)
Tasmanian

Matthew Wade | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo
http://cricketarchive.com/Players/95/95740/95740.html

Pros:
Seen as the best batsman of the lot, and has the record to show it
Has performed in a shield final, which selectors usually love
There's other good stuff too. I think.

Cons
Seen as the worse keeper of the lot
A Tasmanian living in Victoria

Peter Nevill | Australia Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo
http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Players/35/35385/35385.html

Pros:
Seen as the best keeping of the lot
Has currently got the best batting record of the lot
Is from NSW
Has a solid name

Cons:
Seen as the worst batsman of the lot, despite his record.
aka lacks a bit of x-factor
Born in Victoria

Other 3 keepers not in the discussion

And a reminder: Wade moved to Tasmania because he was stuck behind Paine, and Nevill moved to NSW because he was stuck behind Wade, and Haddin had just replaced Gilly so he had a thunderdome with Daniel Smith to get that spot

Last edited:

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Didn't someone recently nominate Luke Ronchi on these forums?

Haddin will retain his place for Sydney. The BBL has harmed Wade's chances as he cannot keep his name in the selectors minds with big Shield scores (and his BBL form has made him look out of touch). Wade deserves to be next in line, but I think Haddin will be given the entire summer.

Zinzan

Don't know his competition well enough, but Haddin will be lucky to hold his place. His batting looks so uncertain, obviously unsure whether to play his natural game or not. The fact Australia won the test will probably save his ass for now, but he needs to pull something out fairly soon.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I still think that they're just waiting for Paine to be fit. By the time he sorts himself out, Haddin will step aside around the end of the next home summer, IMO.

Wade should be in front though, he's been doing the business for a fair while.

07/08: 335 @ 28 (10 matches)
08/09: 545 @ 50 (11 matches)
09/10: 677 @ 48 (11 matches)
10/11: 554 @ 33 (11 matches)
11/12: 369 @ 62 (5 matches)

I'm honestly really surprised that Nevill has done as well as he has, to be honest. Was always very "if you bowl straight, he hits straight" and could be quite easy to hold early doors. No doubt in my mind that Wade's the best batsman of the lot, and as I said in the other thread, he's as competitive a person as I think that you'll find. His glove-work has reportedly improved each and every year. Nev's keeping is really good.

Spikey

Didn't someone recently nominate Luke Ronchi on these forums?
Was almost the irrelevant choice

Haddin will retain his place for Sydney. The BBL has harmed Wade's chances as he cannot keep his name in the selectors minds with big Shield scores (and his BBL form has made him look out of touch). Wade deserves to be next in line, but I think Haddin will be given the entire summer.

Yep I'm in line with this. Not his worst performance anyway. A good 70 odd run stand in the first dig. Plus vice captain

One thing forgot to add - Nevill isn't a good List A player yet. The selectors may well not want to have two different keepers for tests and ODers. So that's a con for Nev and a pro for Wade and Paine

Spikey

I still think that they're just waiting for Paine to be fit. By the time he sorts himself out, Haddin will step aside around the end of the next home summer, IMO.
Agree with that. The complete lack of game time since the tests in India is a massive worry though. 4 FC games only. Unless he can get some county time in it's hardly inspiring stuff.

Add some more pros for wade btw. not doing him justice.

Related article on the three by Berry: Make or break: Paine's first-class career could be over

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Was too busy r00ting Tamsyn Lewis to play cricket imo.
Think that's basically it. Playing some club cricket at Richmond, not keeping, not captaining, just enjoying playing some cricket on a Saturday and being a pretty relaxed cat, from all reports.