• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

Niall

International Coach
Yeah so Fury v Usyk is not happening in December now!

Francis was better than expected but wow Fury looked awful tonight, robbery is a harsh word but yeah Francis was hard done by.

Hearn wants Joshua v Ngannou next, and despite last night confident that Joshua batters him.

Not sure what Fury will do next, probably cocaine and talk trash online.

Niall

International Coach
What happened? Didn't saw the fight because I thought it would be a farce. Fury by split decision?

Yeah.

Fury down in round 3, Francis ran out of steam towards the end but Fury wasn't good at all.

Its not a robbery but I thought Francis done enough to win.

Who knows what went wrong, most likely Fury just got distracted and had no respect for Ngannou.

Would have been hilarious if Francis had won.:(

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
Yeah.

Fury down in round 3, Francis ran out of steam towards the end but Fury wasn't good at all.

Its not a robbery but I thought Francis done enough to win.

Who knows what went wrong, most likely Fury just got distracted and had no respect for Ngannou.

Would have been hilarious if Francis had won.:(
I haven't watched it so can't comment but I think it probably was a combination of Fury not training and being overwhelmed by Nagannou's power.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
It turns out that cocaine and pies doesn't make for a long term career.

Also having VADA drug testing in place since July also meant that Fury couldn't do his regular nandrolone.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fight is available on the internet

Ngannou was better than expected but Fury was embarrassingly bad

He’s odds on to duck Usyk again as his credibility is in tatters

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
Just started seeing the fight on youtube. And the first thing that came to my notice is that Ngannou doesn't look as small as I thought he would look next to Fury. No way Fury is 6'8.

Plus Fury looks extremely out of shape.

social

Just started seeing the fight on youtube. And the first thing that came to my notice is that Ngannou doesn't look as small as I thought he would look next to Fury. No way Fury is 6'8.

Plus Fury looks extremely out of shape.
Fury is 6’6” or thereabouts

Btw, Fury claimed that his fight with Usyk was set for December 23

If that was truly the case, he’d be in the middle of training camp and Usyk wouldn’t be ringside

Fury is full of **** & always has been

Spofforth

School Boy/Girl Captain
This highlights what I have always thought, that Fury is way overrated as a boxer. I don't get the claim that he has ever had these "great boxing skills". He has a weak punch and ordinary technique (but at his size it doesn't matter so much). He can move well and has good stamina for his size and being so flabby, but is hardly fluent (very ungainly). He's used to fighting much shorter, smaller men and roughing them up/wearing them out by clinching and laying all over them due to his size.

Francis is big enough to not let that happen and being from MMA clinches weren't going to be a problem. The way he just ate Fury's best punches (and his best elbow) without flinching gives an indication of Fury's lack of power for his size. I thought a draw would have been a fair result, but a KO was the only way Ngannou was going to get a result, and either way it puts Fury into perspective because I don't think Francis boxed all that well either (if way beyond what you would expect for a novice). It was a good spectacle more so than a good fight.

Fury has beaten an over the hill Wlad in an exceptionally boring fight where neither men wanted to get within range. Then he retired rather than rematch, and got done for eating "wild boar meat".

Since then he beat a basketball player with a great punch (who couldn't box his way out of a wet paper bag) in a "cherry picking gone wrong" scenario. Even then he got decked the same as all the other tomato cans, the difference being that he was just too big for Wilder to actually knock out.

Now he struggles with an MMA novice. In a better era would be a journeyman, probably getting cleaned up by people like Gallotta and Tua. Something of a poor man's Nikolai Valuev.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
This highlights what I have always thought, that Fury is way overrated as a boxer. I don't get the claim that he has ever had these "great boxing skills". He has a weak punch and ordinary technique (but at his size it doesn't matter so much). He can move well and has good stamina for his size and being so flabby, but is hardly fluent (very ungainly). He's used to fighting much shorter, smaller men and roughing them up/wearing them out by clinching and laying all over them due to his size.

Francis is big enough to not let that happen and being from MMA clinches weren't going to be a problem. The way he just ate Fury's best punches (and his best elbow) without flinching gives an indication of Fury's lack of power for his size. I thought a draw would have been a fair result, but a KO was the only way Ngannou was going to get a result, and either way it puts Fury into perspective because I don't think Francis boxed all that well either (if way beyond what you would expect for a novice). It was a good spectacle more so than a good fight.

Fury has beaten an over the hill Wlad in an exceptionally boring fight where neither men wanted to get within range. Then he retired rather than rematch, and got done for eating "wild boar meat".

Since then he beat a basketball player with a great punch (who couldn't box his way out of a wet paper bag) in a "cherry picking gone wrong" scenario. Even then he got decked the same as all the other tomato cans, the difference being that he was just too big for Wilder to actually knock out.

Now he struggles with an MMA novice. In a better era would be a journeyman, probably getting cleaned up by people like Gallotta and Tua. Something of a poor man's Nikolai Valuev.
I wouldn't go that far.

He is/was a very good boxer who knew his weaknesses and limitations and made sure to only fight people who were less coordinated and had slow feet. He will always look amazing against the Whyte's of the world. He will always look dodgy against people who can move their feet e.g. cunningham, wallin etc.

He will also often look amazing when there is inadequate drug testing.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Not looking forward to seeing Parker getting swept into a dust-pan after a fight with Wilder. Fair play to him if the fight happens, it's quite a coup for him given he's done nothing to suggest he deserves that calibre of opponent since his "win" v Ruiz, but hope he has the sense to call it a day after he gets KO'd.

Last edited:

social

Parker has been hanging out for one last major payday for years as he has fought one decent opponent in 5 years and was ko’d

If his goal was to maximise his boxing potential then he’s made some strange career choices

Basically hasn’t improved since his very early bouts but didn’t change his team until it was too late

Later became friends with the guy who should have been one of his biggest rivals

Funnily enough, I give him half a shot at beating Wilder if he uses his brain as Deontay won’t outbox him (or virtually anyone)

Niall

International Coach
squash matches for Bivol and opetaia , hopefully they are back out in a few months. Hrgovic is fighting an absolute bum which is annoying as their was chatter of Bakole.

Then the two main events, Parker will get knocked out and Joshua wins by UD.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Of all of the top heavyweights, Wilder is the worst style matchup for Parker. At the end of the day he's already made his money and has only been looking for paydays.

The old, motivated Parker would actually do very well against Fury (I suspect that is why Fury befriended him), as well as Usyk. Both of these guys are susceptible to people who can keep up with them skill wise (although Usyk still tends to find another level and his gas tank would be too much for JP).

Parker will not be able to box on the outside against Wilder because he will remain a sitting duck waiting for that long right hand. Parker can be evasive and move his feet well early, but when he tires - as he does from about round 5 in every fight of his professional career - he becomes a sitting duck and Wilder will catch him.

Parker has been very naive in becoming Fury's friend, and even more naive in selecting Andy Lee as a coach. He should have left Kevin Barry straight after the AJ fight and found a top american coach/promoter who would get him consistent sparring and fights.

Niall

International Coach
I know he is not exactly a world beater, but is it just me who thinks Miller at 5.0 (4/1) with the bookies is worth a nibble v Dubois?

I don't see any impressive wins on that CV and I think the fall out from the supposed low blow took away from the fact that Usyk was never in huge trouble despite what UK commentators were suggesting.