• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Border-Gavaskar Trophy all time XI

Shri

Mr. Glass
lmao

fatty escaped another tendulkar tonking

and we had sehwag who would've loved to tonk him too

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I would do the same as well. Except that, I wouldn't pick Gilchrist in india-australia team based on how he did in SA, England, NZ or SL.
I don’t care if you’re picking Gilchrist or not, you’re picking a **** keeper on the basis of his batting in a single series, whilst using a small sample size as an excuse not to pick a different keeper.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
I don’t care if you’re picking Gilchrist or not, you’re picking a **** keeper on the basis of his batting in a single series, whilst using a small sample size as an excuse not to pick a different keeper.
Was he **** with the gloves in this series though ? I remember him talking a lot of catches and then looked up in cricinfo and found he had 20 in the series.
Again, if there is a better pick, I will replace him.

aussie tragic

International Captain
1. Gavaskar
2. Sehwag
3. Ponting
4. Tendulkar
5. Smith
6. Laxman
7. Gilchrist
8. Warne (in australia) / Kumble (in india)
9. Gillespie
10. Bumrah
11. McGrath
I find it funny that in the OP Border didn't make the Border-Gavaskar trophy team lol

aussie tragic

International Captain
Which implies Shri never meant this to be so constrained. Based on Gavaskar selected in OP, all India Australia tests should count imo :)

Then David Boon gets a go with 1204 runs @ 70.82 vs India

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Which implies Shri never meant this to be so constrained. Based on Gavaskar selected in OP, all India Australia tests should count imo :)

Then David Boon gets a go with 1204 runs @ 70.82 vs India
Lol.. I missed Gavaskar in that XI. Yeah, I will consider only the post 1996 series for a BG Trophy XI. No Gavaskar, No Border...

ishqiya

School Boy/Girl Captain
He's played two tests here ffs.

Meanwhile, imbos are omitting Gilchrist & Dhoni because "duh he only played a few good knocks in India/vs Aus" and including Pant, who's played four tests against Australia and made half his runs against them in one (one!) innings.

The sort of brain dead analysis which will really light up the summer.
and if he had not done well you would have quoted that against him.

plus he averages something like 18 at home over 8(?) matches.

who are the other contenders? 43 average warne? 33 average lyon? 51 average macgill?

the other indians have done better - kumble 30, bhajji 30, ashwin 32

but no one has been as good as jadeja.

i don't think jadeja has ever had a bad match against australia.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Australia v India all-time highest batting average (min 1000 runs @ 50+)

1. Smith - 1429 runs @ 84.06
2. Boon - 1204 runs @ 70.82
3. Pujara - 1622 runs @ 60.07
4. Hayden - 1888 runs @ 59.00
5. Tendulker - 3630 runs @ 55.00
6. Ponting - 2555 runs @ 54.36
7. Clarke - 2049 runs @ 53.92
8. Simpson - 1125 runs @ 53.57
9. Viswanath - 1538 runs @ 53.03
10. Border - 1567 @ 52.23
11. Gavaskar - 1550 runs @ 51.67

Shout out to Laxman - 2434 runs @ 49.67 and Hughes 988 runs @ 52.00

Last edited:

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Brett Lee? Remember that he had an decent debut series in 99 and an excellent one in 07/08 - where he was bowling as good as he ever did in tests.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
and if he had not done well you would have quoted that against him.
No I wouldn't. At all. The fact you're even saying that shows you haven't got the slightest clue what you're on about. You're talking about putting him an AT side when he's played two away tests in the criteria. It's a tragic piece selection.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Australians in India (all tests)

M.Hayden
D.Boon
D.Jones
S.Smith
N.Harvey
A.Border
R.Benaud
A.Davidson
W.Grout +
G.McKenzie
J.Gillespie

K.Hughes, S.Waugh, G.McGrath, S.O'Keefe

Indians in Australia (all tests)

S.Gavaskar
V.Sehwag
C.Pujara
S.Tendulkar
V.Kohli
M.Amarnath
R.Pant +
K.Dev
M.Shami
B.Bedi
J.Bumrah

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gavaskar and Border are shoe ins given their names adorn the trophy.
Bradman and Smith are all locks given their records.
Tendulkar because we need someone to bowl dinky spinners in India.
Gilchrist should keep.
Kapil, McGrath and McKenzie the three pace bowlers with the best record.
Benaud the spinner with the best record.

Gavaskar
Hayden
Bradman
Smith
Tendulkar
Border (c)
Gilchrist+
Kapil
Benaud
McKenzie
McGrath

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
People seriously advocating for Martyn despite him scoring less runs than a block who played 5 tests at the age of 40.

FMD he scored more in those 5 tests than Mark Waugh managed in 14, Shaun Marsh managed in 15, or Kapil Dev in 20.

And despite only playing 5 tests, he's equal 11th in the list of total centuries between the nations. And nobody mentioned him until now.

People were advocating for Sehwag, despite him scoring less hundreds in 22 tests than he did in 5.

185, 13, 132, 127*, 201, 57*

Robbed of a fifth test century there, retiring hurt on 57* in a total of 575/8 dec...

Last edited:

Burgey

stephen's XI is plainly a far better representation of the historical records of both nations against each other. Gavaskar probably a bit lucky given he averaged 17 here the only time he played a full strength Australian attack. Would have Sid Barnes or Lawry in ahead of him. Otherwise not a bad side.

trundler

People seriously advocating for Martyn despite him scoring less runs than a block who played 5 tests at the age of 40.

FMD he scored more in those 5 tests than Mark Waugh managed in 14, Shaun Marsh managed in 15, or Kapil Dev in 20.

And despite only playing 5 tests, he's equal 11th in the list of total centuries between the nations. And nobody mentioned him until now.

People were advocating for Sehwag, despite him scoring less hundreds in 22 tests than he did in 5.

185, 13, 132, 127*, 201, 57*

Robbed of a fifth test century there, retiring hurt on 57* in a total of 575/8 dec...
The obvious thing you're overlooking is that India weren't decent until the late 60s or something. There's an ocean between Dravid/Tendulkar/Laxman and whichever randos Benaud bowled to, for example.
stephen's XI is plainly a far better representation of the historical records of both nations against each other. Gavaskar probably a bit lucky given he averaged 17 here the only time he played a full strength Australian attack. Would have Sid Barnes or Lawry in ahead of him. Otherwise not a bad side.
You'll find that he was suffering from an injury at the time and that he never played a full strength Australian attack in Australia at his best.