• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Border-Gavaskar Trophy all time XI

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You still have a day job, Daemon? Don't you wanna make bucketloads of money and become the grand ambassador of your local chapter

Shri

Mr. Glass
i chose gilly because he was the only aus captain in the last million years to win a series in india

of course, it was against an injured tennis elbow tendulkar in the side who also missed two tests so the series shouldn't count but we'll allow it to prevent some tears

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Yet to come to terms with India's series victory down under last time around ?

Gilly doesn't average half as much as Pant in India-Australia series. Why should I pick him ? Because he averages 50 against other teams put together ?

What are the other choices ? Mongia, Healy(who played only one series), Paine, Dighe, MSK Prasad ?
But Pant is a good choice yes?

_00_deathscar

International Regular
i chose gilly because he was the only aus captain in the last million years to win a series in india

of course, it was against an injured tennis elbow tendulkar in the side who also missed two tests so the series shouldn't count but we'll allow it to prevent some tears
Ah yes, the Shane Warne excuse. I think we should discount it just to know what it feels like to be on the other side.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
With the bat in one knock, a la Gilchrist in 2001. With the gloves, not so much. He's a poor gloveman by any objective measure.
Did Healy even perform in one knock? Pant has more runs in 4 matches than Healy has in 9 vs India.
Also, in that case, he should retire right now lest his average drop because apparently you get penalised for that.

(Not going to argue re: the gloveman part though - he's ****).

Starfighter

Ah yes, the Shane Warne excuse. I think we should discount it just to know what it feels like to be on the other side.
At least Warne had the excuse of not having a choice of ball, nobody forced Tendulkar to use that 3 lb plus railway sleeper he carried back then.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
At least Warne had the excuse of not having a choice of ball, nobody forced Tendulkar to use that 3 lb plus railway sleeper he carried back then.
Spoken like a fan who had nightmares caused by that bat, a la Warney. :p

FTR, I hate those heavy bats too. Lara's MRF Wizard :wub:

Starfighter

Spoken like a fan who had nightmares caused by that bat, a la Warney.
Sensitive again. The only BG series I saw him in was 2011/12. Needless to say, he didn't cause too many nightmares. He'd slimmed his bat down to 2 lb 12 oz by then anyway. Fact is his preference for ultra heavy did cause that injury.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Did Healy even perform in one knock? Pant has more runs in 4 matches than Healy has in 9 vs India.
Also, in that case, he should retire right now lest his average drop because apparently you get penalised for that.

(Not going to argue re: the gloveman part though - he's ****).
What's Healy got to do with a comparison between Gilchrist and Pant ffs, which was the original discussion? Or even vs Dhoni for that matter. you'd have all three over Pant in a heartbeat wouldn't you?

And really, if you're (quite rightly) conceding he's rubbish with the gloves, then what possible role does he have in a proposed all-time XI as a wicketkeeper, albeit one of short compass like this?

"****, sorry I dropped Laxman/ Hayden/ Smith on three and they made a double. Here, look at my shiny 40 odd" isn't exactly the stuff of legend.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Pant in one series in Australia has scored more runs than what Gilchrist put together in 2 trips to india in 2001 and 2004.

350 runs is a great series aggregate on a foreign trip let alone doing it against a fine quartet(Starc, Hazlewood,Cummins and Lyon). That is a better quartet than anything Gilchrist faced against India.

On his keeping, note that he took 20 catches in the series. Can some one bring up how many catches he dropped in this series ? Yes, he has been poor with the gloves for most of last 2 years but that is a non factor in this context right ?

Many are being way too sensitive about the Pant pick. Nobody is saying he is a better glovesman or batsman than Glichrist overall ffs.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Sensitive again. The only BG series I saw him in was 2011/12. Needless to say, he didn't cause too many nightmares. He'd slimmed his bat down to 2 lb 12 oz by then anyway. Fact is his preference for ultra heavy did cause that injury.
yeah and shane bitch warn's preference for his mum's vitamin pills caused him to miss a year

what is your point

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
yeah and shane bitch warn's preference for his mum's vitamin pills caused him to miss a year

what is your point
Warne's absence is the reason Stephen thinks Australia were robbed of the series victory in 2003-04.