• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Border-Gavaskar Trophy all time XI

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Hardly remember a failure for Smith against India. The guy has been absolute nightmare for us. Should be among the first names written down in this team.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Smith has been flawless, really. Everyone else has had a blip here and there. Except Tendulkar and McGrath of course but great company to be in.

Surely Cummins will overtake Gillespie by the end of this year.

Burgey

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Smith
Martyn
Clarke
Gilly
Warne
Dizzy
Cummins
McGrath

Looks about as reasonable as selecting Pant and Jadeja tbh.

Burgey

He's played two tests here ffs.

Meanwhile, imbos are omitting Gilchrist & Dhoni because "duh he only played a few good knocks in India/vs Aus" and including Pant, who's played four tests against Australia and made half his runs against them in one (one!) innings.

The sort of brain dead analysis which will really light up the summer.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Hayden
Sehwag
Pujara
Tendulkar
Smith
Laxman
Pant
Jadeja
Gillespie
Mcgrath
Bumrah

A couple of astonishing hundreds notwithstanding, Gilchrist has a meh record against India. Dhoni's record against Australia isn't super impressive either. I am going with Pant.

Jadeja gives me the solidity at no.8 along with the awesomeness of a 19 average with the ball against Aus. His legacy will be written in stone once he is done.
Utterly ridiculous.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Who picked Pant? I liked the way he sledged Paine and he hits the ball nicely, but the bloke went to the Akmal school of wicketkeeping.

h_hurricane

He's played two tests here ffs.

Meanwhile, imbos are omitting Gilchrist & Dhoni because "duh he only played a few good knocks in India/vs Aus" and including Pant, who's played four tests against Australia and made half his runs against them in one (one!) innings.

The sort of brain dead analysis which will really light up the summer.
Yet to come to terms with India's series victory down under last time around ?

Gilly doesn't average half as much as Pant in India-Australia series. Why should I pick him ? Because he averages 50 against other teams put together ?

What are the other choices ? Mongia, Healy(who played only one series), Paine, Dighe, MSK Prasad ?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why are we limiting it to when the series got it's current name again (as that was clearly not Shris intention)

Burgey

Yet to come to terms with India's series victory down under last time around ?

Gilly doesn't average half as much as Pant in India-Australia series. Why should I pick him ? Because he averages 50 against other teams put together ?

What are the other choices ? Mongia, Healy(who played only one series), Paine, Dighe, MSK Prasad ?
You'd rule him out for the simple reason that the sample size is so small if he has two lean tests his average will halve. And because he keeps in Braille.

h_hurricane

You'd rule him out for the simple reason that the sample size is so small if he has two lean tests his average will halve. And because he keeps in Braille.
Even if he averages 5 across the next 8 innings, it will still be better than Gilchrist. I am all for picking some one else if any one could prove there has been a better wicket keeper batsman in India-Australia context.

The fact remains that there hasn't been a standout wicket keeper in Border - Gavaskar series.

Daemon

Even if he averages 5 across the next 8 innings, it will still be better than Gilchrist. I am all for picking some one else if any one could prove there has been a better wicket keeper batsman in India-Australia context.

The fact remains that there hasn't been a standout wicket keeper in Border - Gavaskar series.
exactly, so you place a greater emphasis on keeping