• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Biggest Six You've Ever Seen

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
I remember John Dakin hit Andy Caddick out of the county ground and over the neighboring car park..

Simon Francis cleared the River on the other side of the ground as well, over some quite high stands too...
You must have seen Blackwell manage some sizeable hits.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
BlackCap_Fan said:
I remember a six in Astle's carnage(222) of England, in the 1st test at Christchurch, and he somehow did NOT get the man of the match award, which I thought was rudiculous.
How is it ridiculous?

His side lost, his innings was under very little pressure.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
How is it ridiculous?

There were a few candidates for the award, Hussain, Thorpe, Hoggard and of course Astle. I'm not sure who actually recieved it, probably Hussain for his gritty first innings knock? I was a little disappointed Astle didn't recieve it but it was a fantastic test match with a number of great individual performances.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Somerset said:
There were a few candidates for the award, Hussain, Thorpe, Hoggard and of course Astle. I'm not sure who actually recieved it, probably Hussain for his gritty first innings knock? I was a little disappointed Astle didn't recieve it but it was a fantastic test match with a number of great individual performances.
I think Hussain would have deserved it given the conditions when he played his innings.

Dydl

International Debutant
Haven't seen many matches: Travis Birt (Tasmania) last year- I think vs Queensland. He smashed it out of the ground and almost onto a busy highway/freeway/extremely busy road. A boy had to get it in the end and he was watched on the screen and cheered.

tassietiger

U19 Debutant
West Indies vs. Australia A @ Bellerive

Brian Lara absolutely smacked a Brett Lee (or maybe Tait) ball and it cleared that "Why David Boon retired" billboard by a mile. Took a long time to find that one.

Blaze

Banned
marc71178 said:
How is it ridiculous?

I can see your point of view but i personally think he should have got the MOM because his innings was one in a million regardless of the lack of pressure it was a very very special innings the like of which will not be seen probably for a long time.

Certainly the cleanest consistant hitting i have ever seen. He was in the zone as they say and I think he deserved the MOM because you see grity innings like Hussians quite often yet Astles was almost in a league of its own and one of a kind.

Just awesome to watch and i personally think the fact that his side lost is irrelevant. The player who produces the best performance should get it.. but thats just my opinion

Ming

State 12th Man
Apparently McMillan's hit last night was 106m.

I think it hit centre of the bat as well.....

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
imranrabb said:
This one recently in perth which Afridi hit Symonds.
http://s18.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1CZGQCQL0E62X1CVWRY85HTOFD

Tom Moody said the other biggest six he had seen on this pitch was Waugh against Vettori but afridis was bigger

Does anyone know the name of the song (and the artist) that plays in the background during the replay of that monster of a shot?

How is it ridiculous?

Neither were any of the other innings in that match. And Astle's innings was better than anyone elses in that match.

Last edited:

cric_manic

First Class Debutant
Blaze said:
I can see your point of view but i personally think he should have got the MOM because his innings was one in a million regardless of the lack of pressure it was a very very special innings the like of which will not be seen probably for a long time.

Certainly the cleanest consistant hitting i have ever seen. He was in the zone as they say and I think he deserved the MOM because you see grity innings like Hussians quite often yet Astles was almost in a league of its own and one of a kind.

Just awesome to watch and i personally think the fact that his side lost is irrelevant. The player who produces the best performance should get it.. but thats just my opinion
who did get the M.O.M award in that game,i already assumed that astle got it after the match

Fiery

Banned
Somerset said:
Actually, Graeme Thorpe recieved the Man of the Match award for his unbeaten 200 in the second innings - irronically, I can remember Astle dropping Thorpe on four.

The scorecard for that test match can be found here:
http://nz.cricinfo.com/link_to_data..._IN_NZ/SCORECARDS/ENG_NZ_T1_13-17MAR2002.html
The Barmy Army chant to the tune of Ole My Darling Clamentine at the end was something like:

Nathan Astle, Nathan Astle,
Well you nearly won the match
Even though you scored 200
You still dropped the vital catch

Bookie

U19 12th Man
Can anyone remeber secodnd tier sixes at the MCG? That'd be a clear winner. Possibly Eden Gardens. Any huge ground....can anyone think? I can't, but I'm sure some of you old blokes would.

)Swing(

Cricket Spectator
Hm, I'd have to say David Hookes' six against the Poms at Lilac Hill. While it's not a huge ground it was still slaptastically big.

Hero_Don

School Boy/Girl Captain
The biggest I remember is this latest VB Series when Afridi hit the ball into the 3rd level.

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'm pretty sure know one here would've seen this one but it was in a Sydney first grade match.

Dean Waugh (Steve and Mark's brother) hooked a ball that cleared the local pavillion. This would mean the ball has to clear a point about 20 metres higher than the point of contact and about 75 metres away. But the ball didn't land on the roof off the pavillion, it even cleared the back which about another 25 metres further.

It was eventually found behind the pavillion in a garden nursery, about 130 metres from where the pitch is, and raised about 3-4 metres higher than the actual pitch.

If anyone here has been to Waverley Oval in Sydney's Eastern Suburbs, you'd understand how enormous this hit was.

Fiery

Banned
Black Thunder said:
I'm pretty sure know one here would've seen this one but it was in a Sydney first grade match.

Dean Waugh (Steve and Mark's brother) hooked a ball that cleared the local pavillion. This would mean the ball has to clear a point about 20 metres higher than the point of contact and about 75 metres away. But the ball didn't land on the roof off the pavillion, it even cleared the back which about another 25 metres further.

It was eventually found behind the pavillion in a garden nursery, about 130 metres from where the pitch is, and raised about 3-4 metres higher than the actual pitch.

If anyone here has been to Waverley Oval in Sydney's Eastern Suburbs, you'd understand how enormous this hit was.
Impressive. Especially for a hook. I know different batsmen could probably hook a ball further than they could drive it but if I was trying to hit the ball as far as I could it would end up over cow-corner. Over square leg, midwicket or long on would be the area where most of the biggest sixes are hit but which of those areas do ya reckon would have the world record longest hit if they were all measured (hypothetically)?

deeps

International 12th Man
a flick type pull of brett lee or shoaib "no ticker" akhtar over fine leg would have to go pretty far one would imagine