• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best vs Rest

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Lions81 said:
Maybe, but not India. There's nothing I've seen in the past three years to show me that this would be the case.
In the past 3 years, India have 16 wins 13 draws and 12 defeats - so what have you (who only looks at results and not performances) seen there that says India are anywhere near Australia in terms of dominating other sides?

ice

Cricket Spectator
World XI v Asia XI

wen is World XI v Asia XI happening and also wheres shahid afridi he's by far one of the best batman around, wen hes in form hes almost unstoppable... 100 of 37 balls (world record) and 50 on two occasion of just 18 balls

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
marc71178 said:
In the past 3 years, India have 16 wins 13 draws and 12 defeats - so what have you (who only looks at results and not performances) seen there that says India are anywhere near Australia in terms of dominating other sides?
I didn't say India could dominate every side. You stated that barring injuries, Australia could dominate every side, and I disagreed, stating that there is nothing to prove that the addition of one player here or there in the matches against India would have changed the results. As it is, Australia have not had their way with India in the past four years or so and I don't see what could cause Australia to begin to dominate India. They don't to seem to do that well against New Zealand either. So hold off your domination theories until they beat India and New Zealand convincingly.

Swervy

International Captain
ice said:
wen is World XI v Asia XI happening and also wheres shahid afridi he's by far one of the best batman around, wen hes in form hes almost unstoppable... 100 of 37 balls (world record) and 50 on two occasion of just 18 balls
i dont think it is going to happen...its going to be Australia vs Rest Of the World isnt it?

Please dont make me laugh about Afridi..i have a headache and laughing so hard doesnt help

Sehwag309

Banned
Aus tour of India this year would be interesting. Aussies must be confident after their spinning win in Lanka.

I will vote for Sachin to dominate this one

Raj123

U19 Debutant
Aus tour of India this year would be interesting. Aussies must be confident after their spinning win in Lanka.
i think indian spinners(anil and harbhajan) are a bit more smarter than their lankan counterparts. IMO if the two are in good form indian bowling would dominate the aus batting.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Lions81 said:
So hold off your domination theories until they beat India and New Zealand convincingly.

And until India actually dominate ANYBODY at all, I assume you'll stop tlaking about them as being anywhere near Australia?

tooextracool

International Coach
Raj123 said:
i think indian spinners(anil and harbhajan) are a bit more smarter than their lankan counterparts. IMO if the two are in good form indian bowling would dominate the aus batting.
thats the first time ive ever heard anyone call harbhajan smart. i dont think he knows how the lbw works...for that matter neither does kumble...they just appeal for absolutely everything that hits the pad

Sehwag309

Banned
Raj123 said:
Aus tour to India was supposed to be the same Sachin/Warne. last time around. It turned out to be completely different, hayden in form, harbhajan's..i don't know how many wickets".

This time around, it might be something different but I personally feel sachin will be in great form

Sehwag309

Banned
tooextracool said:
thats the first time ive ever heard anyone call harbhajan smart. i dont think he knows how the lbw works...for that matter neither does kumble...they just appeal for absolutely everything that hits the pad
I think he is a great bowler(bhajji), about appealing, i think they feel that nobody can read their spinning bowl so..appeal!

Langeveldt

Soutie
tooextracool said:
If you dont ask you dont get :ph34r:

ice

Cricket Spectator
Asia XI

Afridi has shown the world wat a classic batsman he is wen he made 100 of 37 balls and i admit that he hasnt recently been in the greatest form, but Form is temporary, class is permanent and i think he should be a part of Asia XI

Last edited:

a massive zebra

International Captain
ice said:
Form is temporary, class is permanent
Exactly, form is temporary, class is permanent. When Afridi got that 37 ball hundred he was in a temporary spell of good form, but he is not a class player.

Swervy

International Captain
ice said:
Afridi has shown the world wat a classic batsman he is wen he made 100 of 37 ball and i admit that he hasnt recently been in the greatest form, but Form is temporary, class is permanent and i think he should be a part of Asia XI
no no no no no...if he would ever be considered for an Asian XI, then that would be a sad reflection on the ability of Asian batsmen.

As it is, the 4 Asian teams have more than enough batting talent to ensure Afridi would come no-where near that kind of team.

Swervy

International Captain
a massive zebra said:
Exactly, form is temporary, class is permanent. When Afridi got that 37 ball hundred he was in a temporary spell of good form, but he is not a class player.
i dont even think form comes into it with Afridi...he is a hitter of the ball, if it works ,it works, if it doesnt, then it doesnt.

Unfortunately for pakistan, it only works occasionally

a massive zebra

International Captain
Swervy said:
i dont even think form comes into it with Afridi...he is a hitter of the ball, if it works ,it works, if it doesnt, then it doesnt.

Unfortunately for pakistan, it only works occasionally
Fair point, but surely all players with reasonably lengthly careers have spells where they perform better than you would expect and other spells where they have performed worse. TBH I havent looked at the statistics so you could be right, but it would be strange.

Swervy

International Captain
a massive zebra said:
Fair point, but surely all players with reasonably lengthly careers have spells where they perform better than you would expect and other spells where they have performed worse. TBH I havent looked at the statistics so you could be right, but it would be strange.
its just the impression I get with him....his hitting can be devestating, but he may as well be wearing a blindfold and cut blindy swishing the bat sometimes...when I have seen him , there never seems to be a curtailing of his aggressivness when the situation reqires a more level headed appraoch.

Swervy

International Captain
have a look at Afridi's last 50 ODI's batting figures, i think it kind of shows what I mean about him not relying on form, but more luck to be honest:

83,35,4,5,5,56,0,108*,14,1,40,18,1,3,14,33,13,26,62,27,0,31,0,6,4,55*,4,30,0,8,13,16,0,17,1,6,9,80,6,3

In those 50 innings, the best spell of double digit scores is 6 in a row,and that only included two scores of over 30.

If the hitting comes off, then great...but it is so rare that it just isnt worth Pakistan risking playing him