• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best vs Rest

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Eclipse said:
Yeah I dont disagree.

Or though things may have been much diffrent if we had played India on some normal bouncy wickets in the last test series they were as lifeless as I have ever seen in Australia.

Also why the Cricket Australia decided not to play a test at the WACA amazes me.

You're deluding yourself mate. Adelaide and Sydney were typical Adelaide and Sydney wickets. Well actually Sydney did not deteriorate as much it usually does (as was the case the season before against England) -- that probably worked more in Australia's favour than it did India's.

There was plenty of seam movement at Brisbane even when India batted -- the fact that the Australians continually bowled on Laxman's pads or short outside Ganguly's off stump didn't exactly help matters.
Having them at 3-62 and then letting them make 400+ suggests that you probably really can't blame the pitch.

Adelaide -- Australia did have the advantage of having India batting last on a deteriorating wicket. And don't forget Australia had India 4-85 chasing 500+ in the first innings. To lose the match from there, I'm sorry but its pathetic to blame the pitch.

There was plenty of bounce on that Melbourne wicket -- I don't think anyone can deny that --- if Australia lost Adelaide due to batting suicide
the same can be said about India at Melbourne --- what where they 2-280 at one stage on day 1 -- a pretty rare position for a touring side on a first day Melbourne wicket.

The claim we should have produced wickets like Perth at the other centres is laughable -- the Perth wicket is unique, it is the fastest and bounciest wicket the world and none of the Australian wickets have ever been like Perth (the soil they use there is different to the other grounds). Hell even many young Australian batsmen from the Eastern seaboard struggles when they go to Perth for the first time -- so its no real surprise that India playing a couple of 1 day games there for the first tuime on tour struggled.

In short, I don't think Australia can blame the pitches for not winning back the Border Gavaskar series:
The real reasons were: 1) India batted better than everyone expected.
2) Some of Australia's bowlers were found not to be as good as everyone thought they were.

Eclipse

International Debutant
jamesryfler said:
You're deluding yourself mate. Adelaide and Sydney were typical Adelaide and Sydney wickets. Well actually Sydney did not deteriorate as much it usually does (as was the case the season before against England) -- that probably worked more in Australia's favour than it did India's.

There was plenty of seam movement at Brisbane even when India batted -- the fact that the Australians continually bowled on Laxman's pads or short outside Ganguly's off stump didn't exactly help matters.
Having them at 3-62 and then letting them make 400+ suggests that you probably really can't blame the pitch.

Adelaide -- Australia did have the advantage of having India batting last on a deteriorating wicket. And don't forget Australia had India 4-85 chasing 500+ in the first innings. To lose the match from there, I'm sorry but its pathetic to blame the pitch.

There was plenty of bounce on that Melbourne wicket -- I don't think anyone can deny that --- if Australia lost Adelaide due to batting suicide
the same can be said about India at Melbourne --- what where they 2-280 at one stage on day 1 -- a pretty rare position for a touring side on a first day Melbourne wicket.

The claim we should have produced wickets like Perth at the other centres is laughable -- the Perth wicket is unique, it is the fastest and bounciest wicket the world and none of the Australian wickets have ever been like Perth (the soil they use there is different to the other grounds). Hell even many young Australian batsmen from the Eastern seaboard struggles when they go to Perth for the first time -- so its no real surprise that India playing a couple of 1 day games there for the first tuime on tour struggled.

In short, I don't think Australia can blame the pitches for not winning back the Border Gavaskar series:
The real reasons were: 1) India batted better than everyone expected.
2) Some of Australia's bowlers were found not to be as good
as everyone thought they were.

I suppose the fact that Adam Gilchrist and Ricky Ponting openly expressed there disapointment at the pitches not being as quick as they would have liked mean's nothing?

The MCG pitch was quick on the first day but after that it was keeping lower and not really threatening the batsman much.

I would never have expected the wickets to be as quick as the WACA but I dont think the GABBA was as quick as usual and the MCG was only bouncy for about a day even the groundsman aknowlaged this.

Call me deluded if you want but there were alot of people around Australia who shared my opinion.

I am open to being proven wrong but thats just the way I saw it.

biased indian

International Coach
Eclipse said:
I suppose the fact that Adam Gilchrist and Ricky Ponting openly expressed there disapointment at the pitches not being as quick as they would have liked mean's nothing?

The MCG pitch was quick on the first day but after that it was keeping lower and not really threatening the batsman much.

I would never have expected the wickets to be as quick as the WACA but I dont think the GABBA was as quick as usual and the MCG was only bouncy for about a day even the groundsman aknowlaged this.

Call me deluded if you want but there were alot of people around Australia who shared my opinion.

india scored more than 300 on that quick MCG day one pitch :D :D :D

tooextracool

International Coach
Raj123 said:
not sure if its relevant but may be gillespie, bracken, bichel dont have the pace of lee, gillespie, mcgrath
umm gillespie doesnt have the pace of gillespie?perhaps u are referring to jason's evil twin joseph :p

Raj123

U19 Debutant
umm gillespie doesnt have the pace of gillespie?perhaps u are referring to jason's evil twin joseph
only if you bothered to put a bit more sense when reading the posts..
i was comparing the 2 lineups in order of their pace i.e.
lee>gillespie
gillespie(and mcgrath)>bracken
mcgrath>bichel

tooextracool

International Coach
Raj123 said:
only if you bothered to put a bit more sense when reading the posts..
i was comparing the 2 lineups in order of their pace i.e.
lee>gillespie
gillespie(and mcgrath)>bracken
mcgrath>bichel
if u bothered to actually think before u write.
first of all mcgrath is not fast.....bichel is definetly as fast if not faster than mcgrath.
and it definetly looked like u were saying that gillespie wasnt fast enough....

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Eclipse said:

1) India batted on day 1 at the MCG and from their display prior to their collapse, its pretty obvious they handled the bounce far better than previous Indian sides to tour here.
2) The wickets that were rolled out for India were not too different to those that were prepared for England a season ago (with the exception of Sydney which didn't deteriorate as much -- and that worked more to Australia's benefit than it did to India's). Yet Australia only complained about the wickets this time round --- wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that
they didn't win the series this time would it ?

Raj123

U19 Debutant
if u bothered to actually think before u write.
first of all mcgrath is not fast.....bichel is definetly as fast if not faster than mcgrath.
why else do you think i mentioned lee before mcgrath and gillespie when he usually come in as 1st change.
perhaps not by much but mcgrath is definetly quicker than bichel

and it definetly looked like u were saying that gillespie wasnt fast enough....
of course he isnt when you compare him with lee, which is precisely what i was trying to do

rolande

School Boy/Girl Captain
yes india batted than everyone expected and did get the aussie attack while vital roleplayers (missing mcgrath and warne who are australia's best bowlers and also breet lee in the first match because of ankle but australia should have done better and perhaps named an all-rounder thats not katich who bats at 6 for australia and 1 for nsw in the place of say martyn who was down on form who could have gained form in the pura cup and the ing cup
but i guess thats the ways it goes also one more thing sami and aktar would love the waca pitch if brett lee can bowl 156.7kph on it

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
jamesryfler said:
Yet Australia only complained about the wickets this time round --- wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that
they didn't win the series this time would it ?

Add to the effect they didn't have the same attack on there.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
rolande said:
perhaps named an all-rounder thats not katich who bats at 6 for australia and 1 for nsw in the place of say martyn who was down on form

Not you as well.

I cannot believe this debate about Martyn is still continuing - his figures in Test's are consistently in the 40s and above - that is NOT out of form!

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
Eclipse said:

They're whiners, plain and simple. Everyone who shared your opinion was a devastated Australian fan who thought the tour by India would be a cakewalk. Maybe it was devil's food cake.

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
marc71178 said:
And until India actually dominate ANYBODY at all, I assume you'll stop tlaking about them as being anywhere near Australia?
Ask Javed Miandad who India dominates.

Deja moo

International Captain
this was old 2 months ago... get over it... India didn't even win the series
Yes, get over it. India didnt win the series.

So what if Steve Bucknor didnt give 3 plumb LBW decisions on the last day?
India didnt win the series.

India had beginners luck in Brisbane.

The Aussie players gifted a win in adelaide.

The indians showed their true colours in Melbourne.

And as for sydney, it was steve Waughs farewell test. How could his namesake ( messrs. bucknor ) spoil it for him by giving the indians those lb decisions?

Swervy

International Captain
orangepitch said:
Yes, get over it. India didnt win the series.

So what if Steve Bucknor didnt give 3 plumb LBW decisions on the last day?
India didnt win the series.
knew it..its the umpires fault

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
the umpiring throughout the saeries evened out pretty well i though, sure not every decision was perfect on a slow motion replay or by hawkeye, but remember the umpires dont have that, i think considering that they do a good job, especially the top league. there were not really many absolute shockers in the series at all, maybe 2... if you can do a better job get out there and do it... than we can all give you crap :)