• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Test century amongst these in winning cause ?

Best Test century under pressure

• Total voters

subshakerz

International Coach
I honestly have never seen an innings without some little caveat. But to each his own.
The idea is we are talking about what is the greatest innings of all time. Skill level has to be highest and luck factor lowest. So I would prefer that be an innings where I don't feel that the batsman made some serious error of judgment in shot selection that he got away with. I don't rate Tendulkar's knock in the 2011 semifinal that highly for getting dropped four times for example.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We have people calling Ben Stokes at Headingly a great innings. When he was plumb lbw at least once and scored half his runs from shanks that went straight up in the air and fell into gaps. Legit should have been out a dozen times.

One little lbw is nothing

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
I honestly have never seen an innings without some little caveat. But to each his own.
Same here , besides you still need to be good enough to score the big runs after you give a chance and if we are going to go down that route then maybe there should be a seperation thread for best innings Pre-DRS and Post-DRS because we including All-time Test knocks , how do we know someone who played a brilliant knock in 1920 for example, didn't get one or two favourable decisions from the home umpire ?

subshakerz

International Coach
We have people calling Ben Stokes at Headingly a great innings. When he was plumb lbw at least once and scored half his runs from shanks that went straight up in the air and fell into gaps. Legit should have been out a dozen times.

One little lbw is nothing
Riding a bit of luck doesn't make it not a great innings. But what if you compare Stokes and Lara to ATG innings where they didn't give a chance?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
No. That was Dravid. And it was arguably marginally outside off.

At best a 50/50,not plumb. This Lara one was hitting middle of middle lol.
Nah it was not out.. ball was turning square. And it's funny saltshakerz has to find something from an innings not even on the poll.

The Pak losses must be hitting him hard.

anil1405

International Captain
Anyone who saw Lara play knows that even in his best form he rode his luck and gave the opposition opportunities. One reason I rated Tendulkar slightly higher.
Name a successful attacking minded batsman who didn't give his opposition opportunities?

Any form of attacking cricket comes with risks. The fact that he succeeded as much as he did despite giving opposition so many opportunities must be more of a plus point than minus.

subshakerz

International Coach
Name a successful attacking minded batsman who didn't give his opposition opportunities?

Any form of attacking cricket comes with risks. The fact that he succeeded as much as he did despite giving opposition so many opportunities must be more of a plus point than minus.
Agreed somewhat but Tendulkar was more calculated aggression and less risky. Ponting in full flow seemed less streaky than Lara too.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Wow that level of denial has to be respected.
Yes it has to be coz its not to the pile of crap level of your posts.

The best part, I just realized, is I actually saw everyone of those innings live except the Botham one. Lucky me. :)

And again, Lara's 153 is easily the best.

subshakerz

International Coach
Yes it has to be coz its not to the pile of crap level of your posts.

The best part, I just realized, is I actually saw everyone of those innings live except the Botham one. Lucky me. :)

And again, Lara's 153 is easily the best.
Lara's is my favorite innings also.

Slifer

International Captain
Anyone who saw Lara play knows that even in his best form he rode his luck and gave the opposition opportunities. One reason I rated Tendulkar slightly higher.
Subs give it up please. We get it you rate Sachin higher but everyone gives chances. Even Sachin's best innings, his 136 vs Pakistan, the keeper missed a routine stumping before Sachin crossed 100.