• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Test century amongst these in winning cause ?

Best Test century under pressure

• Total voters

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Do posters deduct marks for Lara being dropped or Stokes getting off for a lbw and runout? For me, they take away from the innings' gloss a bit.
Stokes: Plumb lbw not given, lucky runout escape
Lara: Dropped
Perera: Philander got injured which made the attack significantly easier to face than what it looks like on paper
Botham: Wild slogging
Smith 154: Dunno, just not as epic as the others

VVS: I guess the pitch was relatively flat? Dunno, it's the innings with the least obvious asterisks probably ,because he wasn't dropped or benefited from any incorrect decisions as far as I remember . What makes it even better is that he got a 50 in the first innings (sawn off by an incorrect decision) too in the midst of a collapse. As a full performance over the game, it's basically one long innings of 340 runs.

subshakerz

International Coach
Stokes: Plumb lbw not given, lucky runout escape
Lara: Dropped
Perera: Philander got injured which made the attack significantly easier to face than what it looks like on paper
Botham: Wild slogging
Smith 154: Dunno, just not as epic as the others

VVS: I guess the pitch was relatively flat? Dunno, it's the innings with the least obvious asterisks probably ,because he wasn't dropped or benefited from any incorrect decisions as far as I remember . What makes it even better is that he got a 50 in the first innings (sawn off by an incorrect decision) too in the midst of a collapse. As a full performance over the game, it's basically one long innings of 340 runs.
Kolkatta 2001 was definitely a batting friendly track compared to the other. The pressure was more from the match situation and attack.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
I voted for Lara's 153 vs Australia, but I'm surprised there is a performance that doesn't even make this top 100 knocks list in Day's of Grace post , and that is Shai Hope's twin hundreds at Headingley in 2017 .. Especially the 118 not out in the fourth innings chasing 322 ..

Anderson, Broad , Woakes , Stokes and Ali are a handful in English conditions...
West Indies had no batsman in their line up that averages 40 and above , even Hope himself only has a career average of 25 .. Headingley is not an easy place to bat in fact Shai Hope remains the only batsman in First Class history to score two hundreds in the same match at the venue.

Kirkut

International Regular
Kolkatta 2001 was definitely a batting friendly track compared to the other. The pressure was more from the match situation and attack.
The pitch is not always the dominating variable when deciding on how tough the batting was for the batsman, in few cases an intense match situation can overpower the pitch conditions.

For example, Laxman made 96 on a difficult Durban wicket, but if you'll ask him he will probably say that his 74* at Mohali was more intense than his Durban knock.

Kirkut

International Regular
But then I highly doubt if Laxman was under any sort of pressure in his 281 knock, he was definitely not anticipating a win there after following on. That Kolkata test was heading for a draw before Harbhajan came in and took a hat trick out of nowhere. He played his natural game like that 167 in Sydney.

subshakerz

International Coach
The pitch is not always the dominating variable when deciding on how tough the batting was for the batsman, in few cases an intense match situation can overpower the pitch conditions.

For example, Laxman made 96 on a difficult Durban wicket, but if you'll ask him he will probably say that his 74* at Mohali was more intense than his Durban knock.
I agree I said the match situation is what made the difficulty for Laxman in his 281. But comparing to other top tier innings pitch conditions is factor.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Nah. Look at 5:03. It's pretty plumb.

I saw the game live... you did not even see more than one replay and yet you are sure. :laugh:

It was not out. And FWIW, one non LBW does negate an innings quality as much as a bunch of mistimed slogs.

and VVS was plumb LBW to Ponting in his 281, until Hayden decided to appeal for the catch more than the lbw. :laugh: