• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best setup

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Great clip. I also think having a batsman with textbook technique makes it look much better. If it was Sehwag set up like this it might not look so awesome. Dravid's footwork is too well setup for an anticipated inswing ball. Sehwag would have no such visible early trigger even if he expects it to swing in.

Last edited:

Ali TT

International Debutant
I love this dismissal, my favourite cricketing clip. So used to a set up being away-away-in, that this challenges assumptions. That last ball is mind-boggling though, and would've probably taken plenty of wickets even without the set-up.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
That was the one I was thinking of, too. Shane Warne was the master of setting batsmen up. This is the guy who spent a whole early Ashes Tour (93) not bowling his variations and sticking to his leg break, getting pummeled by Graeme Hick and co, written off by the press but had the strength of his convictions to stick with it. He used to bowl long hops on purpose, then follow it up with a flipper to entice the batsmen to think another one was coming (think the greatest example was one to Alec Stewart, potentially on that same tour).

It can't be stated enough how much of a genius he was, and how he played 3 moves ahead of everyone else at the crease.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Basit Ali - the old Umar Akmal.

Was there that day. Great theatre.

And Mark Waugh did something in the field I haven’t seen before or since that day but which pretty much sums up what a freak he was. He was at silly point to Warne in the arvo session, and as Warne bowled, Waugh’s hat flew off his head and flew towards the non-strikers end just as the batsman played a forward defence.

So Waugh goes low left to take the ball cleanly on the bounce in one hand while simultaneously catching his hat high to the right with the other. Just a ridiculous thing to do that meant absolutely nothing at all in the context of the game but Fmd it’s always stuck with me just how damn cool it was.

Last edited:

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Dizzy probably at his absolute best around that time. Jeez he was a great bowler for a couple of years.
I always felt Gillespie was under rated a touch because he wasn't quite as good as McGrath.

But he was a superb bowler in his own right and in any other era, would have led the Aussie attack for years.

He's turned into a good coach as well.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Starts with a wider bouncer, then two length balls, and then a straight bouncer. This was a KP at his monstrous best.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Bicknell to Rudolph at The Oval in 2003 springs to mind. Not the greatest ever, but memorable nonetheless.