• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best SA WC Team

Best SA WC Team

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
That feels like a very nostalgic view. It had some great players. And team had some form. But there was a number of question marks in that team. We only got to the semifinals off the back of Klusener having the tournament of his life and SA winning games they should not have.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
That feels like a very nostalgic view. It had some great players. And team had some form. But there was a number of question marks in that team. We only got to the semifinals off the back of Klusener having the tournament of his life and SA winning games they should not have.
The ? was Kallis.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
No, if I remember correctly he did alright. But I think Cronje, Jonty and Cullinan had poor tournament. It was very much SA lower order batting or rather Klusener that kept us in that tournament.
Between this and Wasim, it makes me think 99 WC was fixed.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Every team on this list had flaws, the 99 side had the best balance out of all of them which is why I feel they had the best team.
Pollock and Donald get into an SA all time ODI XI , they could defend or restrict any batting side. Then you had our best all rounders ever in Kallis , Klusener that also make our best SA side . Cronje was arguably our best ever captain , and Rhodes our best ever fielder. Gibbs was our best big game batsman .

The WC 15 side probably was the best batting unit but the batting and the bowling was handicapped by the most ridiculous balance we ever had , you had Duminy as a fifth bowler and a weak tail , QDK got stage fright for most of the WC and Amla only got runs against Ireland and West Indies .

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Swear I'm not trying to jinx it but the current one has a case. Extraordinary batting firepower (particularly at the death) , great pace attack, a very good spinner for the conditions and somehow their Jansen at 7 gamble seems to be working.

Batting first they look invincible. They've got a good chance at winning this. I also think bavuma gets s bad rap, good player in the format and think he should do well once he's brought back. Their only weakness may be chasing on a slow spinning deck.

Last edited:

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
Swear I'm not trying to jinx it but the current one has a case. Extraordinary batting firepower (particularly at the death) , great pace attack, a very spinner for the conditions and somehow their Jansen at 7 gamble seems to be working.

Batting first they look invincible. They've got a good chance at winning this. I also think bavuma gets s bad rap, good player in the format and think he should do well once he's brought back. Their only weakness may be chasing on a slow spinning deck.
Yeah you absolutely are not trying to jinx SA.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
2015 team was good but wasn't properly balanced imo. Don't think they were as strong as Australia. Lost to a not that great (on paper) India team in the group stage too.

Bolo.

International Captain
The ? was Kallis.
Kallis was very good in ODIs before the batting SRs started to spike in the mid 2000s. Better than most of his team.

And he was coming off one of the GOAT tournament performances the year before to win RSA's still only piece of silverware, despite them playing with what was effectively a B team of bowlers.

Molehill

International Captain
Swear I'm not trying to jinx it but the current one has a case. Extraordinary batting firepower (particularly at the death) , great pace attack, a very good spinner for the conditions and somehow their Jansen at 7 gamble seems to be working.

Not convinced about the bowling at the death of this team. If they can screw up against Netherlands when not batting first, I suspect better teams may do likewise (still can't get over England opting to bowl first!!).

Himannv

International Coach
Klusener carried the 99 side quite a bit and won them matches that they'd otherwise have lost. I thought they were very good in 2015 and ABdV was at his peak there.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Every team on this list had flaws, the 99 side had the best balance out of all of them which is why I feel they had the best team.
Pollock and Donald get into an SA all time ODI XI , they could defend or restrict any batting side. Then you had our best all rounders ever in Kallis , Klusener that also make our best SA side . Cronje was arguably our best ever captain , and Rhodes our best ever fielder. Gibbs was our best big game batsman .

The WC 15 side probably was the best batting unit but the batting and the bowling was handicapped by the most ridiculous balance we ever had , you had Duminy as a fifth bowler and a weak tail , QDK got stage fright for most of the WC and Amla only got runs against Ireland and West Indies .
And AB was the 6th bowler in 2015 and terrible