• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Looking Cricket Grounds

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm sure we've had threads like this before but they won't be as good as this one because I didn't start them (that I can recall).

Inspired by Dharmasala hosting a test match in the upcoming India-Australia series, post some pics here of the most picturesque cricket grounds you've either been to, seen on TV, in pictures or played on. They don't have to be FC venues, they can be from anywhere around the world.

Brockton Park Vancouver

Some joint in St Vincent

Cape Town

Some joint in Queenstown

\
And of course, the home of cricket itself

cnerd123

likes this
The Sheikh Zayed stadium in Abu Dhabhi is pretty great to look at - looks new-agey and sci-fi but somehow stil very old school and middle eastern, but doesn't have a very stunning backdrop

There are two grounds in HK that I've played most of my cricket on that have really nice backdrops. But they're both multi-purpose sports grounds with astro turf pitches so they don't really count. Will post them up anyways cuz they pretty.

Po Kong Village Road Park:

HKUST Football Field

The Sheikh Zayed stadium in Abu Dhabhi is pretty great to look at - looks new-agey and sci-fi but somehow stil very old school and middle eastern, but doesn't have a very stunning backdrop

There are two grounds in HK that I've played most of my cricket on that have really nice backdrops. But they're both multi-purpose sports grounds with astro turf pitches so they don't really count. Will post them up anyways cuz they pretty.

Po Kong Village Road Park:

HKUST Football Field

No offence but those two HK grounds are definitely NOT pretty at all. The BACKGROUND looks great but the grounds themselves are revolting IMO. If I had to play on the infield of an athletics track or on a field with football lines marked and a couple of goals at either end I would just about give the game away.

Just my opinions of course and YMMV.

Burgey

Is that HKUST ground a cricket field too? This will sound particularly daft but do they cover the athletics track when they play cricket there? There must be some pills dropped int eh drink there.

Burgey

No offence but those two HK grounds are definitely NOT pretty at all. The BACKGROUND looks great but the grounds themselves are revolting IMO. If I had to play on the infield of an athletics track or on a field with football lines marked and a couple of goals at either end I would just about give the game away.

Just my opinions of course and YMMV.
Yeah but the setting can be pretty even though the ground is mediocre, just as you can have a **** setting and an amazing sports facility, like Melbourne.

Brockton Park looks a pretty average ground in itself, but the setting is breath taking and that's what would make it a beautiful place to play.

Shri

Mr. Glass
That is the Azad Maidan in Mumbai. 10+ games happen at the same time usually and 20+ games on the busiest days. Looks hideous but it is unique and interesting. Cricket is to India what football is to Brazil.

1-0uHjgLR_hik8AGsbLNdDKA.jpeg

Last edited:

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dead serious but, The Gabba. The pool deck changed everything this year.

Yeah but the setting can be pretty even though the ground is mediocre, just as you can have a **** setting and an amazing sports facility, like Melbourne.

Brockton Park looks a pretty average ground in itself, but the setting is breath taking and that's what would make it a beautiful place to play.

Agree completely with all of that. IMO though when you're talking about best looking grounds as this topic is then you need to consider the whole package. I can't cop those HK grounds at all. As I said the background looks great but the grounds themselves are putrid. Almost vomit-inducing. I'd just about top myself if I had to play on them.

Burgey

There's an scg xi tour of Hong Kong in the not too distant future. I wonder where they'll play. Those sorts of grounds would be something very different. From a touring pov it would be a fair experience imo.

There was a ground in KL during the commonwealth games where Australia played and play was held up by a ****ing cobra on the ground. I don't remember the ground being overly pretty though.

cnerd123

likes this
Is that HKUST ground a cricket field too? This will sound particularly daft but do they cover the athletics track when they play cricket there? There must be some pills dropped int eh drink there.
It's not an official ground used in any competitions. It's just used for friendly games featuring the HKUST team. They hold an informal University Sixes there too. I've played their quite a bit, and by any standards it's a stunning field. Played a lot of football there too. Great views at sunrise and sunset.

The running tracks aren't covered, but the boundary stops there. They have barricades you place around the field that act as a fence. Runners are barred from using the track during cricket games - we once had someone who ignored those instructions and they got clocked in the head by the ball. Terrible stuff.

There's an scg xi tour of Hong Kong in the not too distant future. I wonder where they'll play. Those sorts of grounds would be something very different. From a touring pov it would be a fair experience imo.
They'll probably play on the 'proper' grounds - Mission Road (where all the recent International cricket has been hosted), the KCC and the HKCC. I cant imagine they'd play on any of the astroturf wickets.

Kirkut

International Regular
I like Lord's, but the vibe of that place appears to be too formal. MCG has a great view, feels like attending a big sporting event, but it can feel too intimidating at times.

I loved the old Adelaide Oval, those reddish brown tiles on the roof, open spaces and the sight of the cathedral building far away. Not to forget that vintage scoreboard.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I've not been to them all but Newlands has to be up there alongside Chesterfield, New Road, Taunton, Kensington Oval. Hove, Arundale and Scarborough are delightful seaside grounds. You have to include Lord's for the history - SCG also. Pity they built that awful media centre at Lord's which looks like Cherie Blair's mouth. Chester-Le-Street is lovely if you have the weather on your side. Adelaide looked lovely until they ruined it by building the modern crap. A lot of the Kiwi grounds look very scenic.

PS

In England, as a general rule, the out-grounds are lovelier than the main grounds (Scarborough, Arundale, Chesterfield).

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Adelaide looked lovely until they ruined it by building the modern crap.
Couldn't disagree more and I'd almost guarantee if you ever get the chance to watch cricket at Adelaide Oval you will not be coming away thinking it's crap.

I've been before and since the renovations and whilst I did love the charm of the old ground, what they have achieved there is just incredible. You have a 40,000 capacity modern sports stadium but when your sat on the hill looking at the old scoreboard it doesn't feel like it at all.