• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best innings in a bad pitch.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
VVS Laxman's 66 not out to follow his 281 in the next match deserve a mention too -

3rd Test: India v Australia at Chennai, Mar 18-22, 2001 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Also VVS laxman's 69 and Sachin Tendulkar's 55 in the last test match of the 2004 series at Mumbai were super knocks as well under pressure and the ball turning square,even for Michael Clarke.

4th Test: India v Australia at Mumbai, Nov 3-5, 2004 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

They do not get mentioned that much because India had already lost the series but considering the fact that when they came in India were traling in the match by about 100 runs with openers going early again ,it should.

The pitch was incredibly difficult and the match ended in the first session of the 3rd day.

smash84

The Tiger King
99 Chennai track was pretty tough ,as usually was the case with the chennai pitch at the time.

By the way it wasn't a 5th day track but a 4th day one as the match ended in 4 days with all team scores about only 250 in each innings.

And the last innings was the toughest with the ball swinging early one ,then reversing and spinning big time of the footmarks.

Here is what Akram did to Dravid when Sachin had come in -

YouTube - Wasim Akram vs Rahul Dravid Ball of Century CRICKET
this delivery from Akram never ceases to amaze me. Should have gotten the call for ball of the century ahead of Warne's Gatting one IMO

Spark

Global Moderator
this delivery from Akram never ceases to amaze me. Should have gotten the call for ball of the century ahead of Warne's Gatting one IMO
You're gonna hate me for this but Mitch Johnson's ball to Collingwood (yeah yeah) at Perth was better.

smash84

The Tiger King
Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
How **** is TGs commentary in that clip :laugh:

How I miss you test cricket

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
I actually thought that was not out when I saw it live first. Then the replays came up and I was "wtf?! How has he missed that by so much?"
yeah but I still don't get it how you could rate it higher than Wasim's deliver to Dravid?????

Spark

Global Moderator
yeah but I still don't get it how you could rate it higher than Wasim's deliver to Dravid?????
Moved more IMO.

Collingwood missed that delivery by a foot.

A foot!

Not saying it was a bad ball by any means, it was brilliant, but it's not better than Warne's ball of the century. And I preferred Mitch's :p

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah I know hence the "yeah yeah". Still.

Those Wasim double-swingers are class though.

Favourite ball in recent times would without doubt have to be Steyn to Pujara though, that was absurd.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Steyn to Pujara was incredible. And the ball a couple of overs later in the same spell that clipped Harbhajan's off-stump on the way to the keeper, without dislodging the bail. And the first over on the same day which he bowled to Tendulkar, taking the edge a couple of times and beating the bat on 3 more occasions. Has to be one of the best ever spells of Test match bowling.

The special thing about how Wasim got Dravid in that over was the way he set him up. Should have had him LBW with the ball coming back into the right-hander, which resulted in Dravid playing inside the line, only for the next ball to move slightly away and clip off-stump. It is like checkmating an opponent in chess with a series of moves thought out well in advance. For that reason alone, I would rate it above any Mitch wonder-ball. :p