• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Fielding team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I reckon the Sides from Africa are consistently the best at fielding..

SA, Zim have traditionally been ace at fielding and we have seen a bit from Namibia and Kenya this WC..They always seem to field well whether there bowling and batting are strong or not...

As for australia, well they dont seem to have an obvious weakness, except maybe all rounders..

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
The Aussies have always had a good fielding side. Lehmann would be the weak link but he is solid enough. Hogg is not the best catcher though. I've seen him drop a few since he came into the side. Bevan's arm would also have to be considered suspect though he is so fast in the outfield that he saves a lot of boundaries.

South Africa, Zimbabwe and New Zealand were all impressive during this campaign and deserve to rate highly.

India were a bit hit and miss. There were some real passengers there. Any time the ball went near Srinath they called for two.

Sri Lanka also showed brilliance at times but lacked consistency.

England have never really had a strong fielding side especially in test matches. At least in the one day side they have guys like Collingwood, who is excellent, coming in. Anderson is also impressive.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hogg is not the best catcher though. I've seen him drop a few since he came into the side.
Eh? Bit harsh there. Hogg's so good in the field he turns 1/8th chances into 1/2 chances which gives the impression he drops catches when in reality, no-one else would have gotten near them. The only exception to this I can think of is his (now imfamous) drop of Jayasuriya in Sydney. Oher than that, Hogg's mere presence in the side has lifted the Aussie fielding standard by quite a bit.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
At Wisden.com Hogg was one of the leading culprits for dropped catches with 4.

Top_Cat

Yeah I know but what I'm saying is that a slower fielder like Boof wouldn't have gotten near most chances Hogg has attempted so they wouldn't be considered to be chances. Since Hogg is so quick and maybe got a hand to them, they're counted as chances. VERY unfair.

And let's not forget that Hogg is generally in the toughest fielding positions like gully and cover, where you have to cope with shots hit in the air which have been well-timed, not edges.

Look, bugger the stats; all you have to do is to look at Hogg's work in the field to know he's better than most out there.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
With regard to the Hogg debate, I don't deny that he is an excellent ground fielder but his catching compared to the rest of the Australian side is not great. Agreed a number of the chances were difficult but with classic catches being taken left right and centre by this side his performance stands out. Maybe it is unfair to compare him to his teammates but I was merely pointing out the perceived weaknesses of this team.

If he was playing for England no one would notice that he dropped hard chances because Vaughan is in the side.:D :D :D

Top_Cat

With regard to the Hogg debate, I don't deny that he is an excellent ground fielder but his catching compared to the rest of the Australian side is not great. Agreed a number of the chances were difficult but with classic catches being taken left right and centre by this side his performance stands out. Maybe it is unfair to compare him to his teammates but I was merely pointing out the perceived weaknesses of this team.
And I understand that but I maintain that none of the others would have done any better considering where he fields.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The Argonaut said:
If he was playing for England no one would notice that he dropped hard chances because Vaughan is in the side.:D :D :D
Can't work Vaughan out - his fielding has gone down at the same rate his batting's gone up, but he can still catch the really hard chances then drop dollies.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I think Hussain is a good fielder..I mean England do have some good fielders, Collingwood is one of the better point fielders in the game & Knight is handy but the others are well below the standard of fielding that England should be expecting.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
hussains not that great a fielder, well not outside england anyway - he would ot make the top 50 fielders if he came out to australia

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Oh come on Age, yes the Aussies are good, but some of the other nations do have have good players as well - Hussain is a very good fielder, and to suggest he wouldn't make the top 50 in Australia is basically saying almost every player in Australian top level cricket is a better fielder than him!

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
no, there is the odd dud in auuie first class cricket, but when you look at it, you can put the entire WC squad ahead of him, than the Aust A squad, and players like the waughs and then some, it would definatley go close to 50

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
age_master said:
hussains not that great a fielder, well not outside england anyway - he would ot make the top 50 fielders if he came out to australia
In the same way that Vettori (the world's best finger spinner) isn't as good as a young leg-spinning all-rounder who just happens to be Australian? ;)

Hussain is a superb fielder, I would like to see anyone, even an Australian, take a catch as good as his one off Jayasuria in a ODI last year, it really was that good, and Kirtley's wasn't half bad either :)

Age...think before you speak please :)

Status
Not open for further replies.