• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Fielding team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
The last Australia 'A' side (against England)

Langer - 32
Maher - 28
Blewett - 31
Clarke - 21
Symonds - 27
Hussey - 27
Campbell - 30
Hogg - 31
Noffke - 25
Bracken - 25
Williams - 28

That's real proof of the great Aussie Youth!

Going back the FC game against us, we have:

Elliott - 31
Maher - 28
Love - 28
Blewett - 31
Clarke - 21
North - 23
Haddin - 25
Hauritz - 21
Noffke - 25
Clark - 27
Williams - 28

A bit younger, but still, the top order is made up of old p[layers!
I knew somone would make me awere of the age of our A team doh!!:)

However thats more a reflection of the strength our middle age players that we have who dont really give many young players the chance get a game unless they are outstanding.

I mean look at people like Blewett, Elliot, Katich, Hussey, Maher, Love etc.. they are all very good players who would get a game with any other test side.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:

I mean look at people like Blewett, Elliot, Katich, Hussey, Maher, Love etc.. they are all very good players who would get a game with any other test side.
Not any other Test side, but most.

For example, India and SA wouldn't have space for them.

Eclipse

International Debutant
I rekon Blewett might get a game with SA he is better than Dippanar and so is Love IMO.

I would rate them all probably better than Ganguly but thats a matter of personal opinion and most would probably disagree with me on that one.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Not all of them would get a game though. You should remember that Ganguly is having this problem since he took the Captaincy.He now plays well in a series in only one format of the game. He is a real match winner. He won some matches for India on his own. Before the captaincy he was one of the few batsman who was consistent on all places and that includes Aus too.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Well that was before now he really just seems unable to handle pace bowling of any reasonable quality.

I remember seeing him charge quick bowlers and pull them for six now days he is utterly hopeless against the short ball no matter wether he sets him self for it or not he just sucks.

He will continue to do well against the week teams who are unable expose his weekneses.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Australia werent the "greatest" fielding side in the World Cup by any chance

New Zealand i would say would easily be in my top 3 and so would Kenya who always looked alive and were athletic and putting in all through their games and S.A and India did quite well aswell

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
krkode said:
Most great bowlers' test averages are better than their first class averages...same with batsman... :wow:

It could be because they play WAY more FC cricket than test cricket...and most of the time one plays test cricket only when he's passed that threshhold level after which you are considered a "good bowler" and you normally only play if you're up to class with your peers, whereas you're a much regular bowler when you start off FC.
Very true...they are more "fresh" and read for it. Just look at McGrath and Pollock, when they play lots of games in a row then they seem to suffer from it but with the break between Tests they come back and are lethal.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
This U19 Test Series, are you talking about the same one that happened this winter?

The one that Australia won 2-1 on the last day of the last test?

Yeah, convincing.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
what ytou all fail to realise iis that the standard of county cricket compared to aussie domestic cricket - this is proven when players like lehmann who average 55 in australia go and average 80+ in county cricket and glenn mcgrath averages 22 here and like 12 there

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
age_master said:
what ytou all fail to realise iis that the standard of county cricket compared to aussie domestic cricket - this is proven when players like lehmann who average 55 in australia go and average 80+ in county cricket and glenn mcgrath averages 22 here and like 12 there
What has that stat or those players have anything to do with this?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
What has that stat or those players have anything to do with this?
Can't you see those stats (about the Aussies playing against poor county players whilst all the England players are playing for their country) clearly show that there are at least 50 fielders better than Hussain?

Isn't it obvious?!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Can't you see those stats (about the Aussies playing against poor county players whilst all the England players are playing for their country) clearly show that there are at least 50 fielders better than Hussain?

Isn't it obvious?!
D'oh...how could I miss :O :O

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Rik said:
Because they are English and not Australian :rolleyes:

Mate, these guys are talented, they have beaten the Australian academy, some have proven themselves on the world stage. Every single player on the list has done something of note. Let me run you through them (not that you would bother to listen anyway of course):

Kabir Ali - Bowling all-rounder who was called up to the England OD squad, had a very good season last year taking 71 FC Wickets

Jimmy Anderson - 50 FC Wickets at 22 and is now England's spearhead in the OD game, soon to make his England Test Debut

Gareth Batty - After a good 1st season for Worcestershire he was called into the England OD squad and made 2 appearances

Ian Blackwell - Has been consistant with the bat for a while now and has improved markedly with the ball and is now a geniune all-rounder in the OD game for England

Rikki Clarke - Impressive 1st season for Surrey, although probably the least deserving player here.

Kyle Hogg - Nephew of Sonny Rhamadin, he has had a steady start to his career and is an exciting player, he scored 100 in a OD game for England U-19 in the summer against India U-19.

Gordon Muchell - His stat's arn't really very impressive but he did score a 200 in one of the U-19 "Tests" in the summer. Scored 68 in the win over the Sri Lanka academy recently.

Monty Panesar - Talented left arm spinner, models himself on Bishen Bedi. Recently ran through the Sri Lankan Academy's batting to take 5-20

Chris Read - Has been smashing the ball all over the park all winter and nearly won a match for his team opening the batting and scoring 160odd. A very fine keeper.

Darren Stevens - Frustratingly talented bastman and a useful bowler who can score runs with ease but get out easily. Has been much more consistant in the last few years.

Chris Tremlett - Tall, strong bowler who had a good 1st season for Hampshire. Big hitter.

Jamie Troughton - Helped win the Natwest Trophy after a match-winning partnership with Ian Bell. Had a fine season averaging nearly 50 and recently scored 100 in the win over the Sri Lanka academy.

Alex Tudor - Has a Test 99*, a fine bowler who tends to get injured more often than he should.

Graham Wagg - Promising displays for both Warwickshire and England U-19

Mark Wallace - Played some fine innings in this tour and last year's, a fine keeper and has allways been considered a captaincy option.

That enough? ;)

dunno rik, maybe cause stupid pommies reakon that they are good and are clearly not...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
age_master said:
dunno rik, maybe cause stupid pommies reakon that they are good and are clearly not...
Maybe because stupid Aussies think that because they are great now means that they will still be great despite the lack of great player coming through the ranks...:rolleyes:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Maybe even STUPIDER (yes it's a word; look it up) forum members reckon they can abuse each other in a thread which has gone wildly off-topic without their threads being closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.