• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BEst fast Bowler of 90's?

Swervy

International Captain
JASON said:
Alan Donald may have been a very good bowler of the 90's but he spent most of his energies chasing the Pounds in county cricket for warwickshire (for whom he gave most of his skill) and as a result was generally not 100% or never gave his 100% in International cricket (Tests or ODI's) :@ (Hence the typical choking in the World Cup Semi final in 1999). :sleep:
rubbish...you obviously never saw bowl against Atherton in 98

tooextracool

International Coach
JASON said:
McGrath is, to me, by far the best fast bowler of the 90's . The statistics confirm it. :
how do the statistics confirm that he is a better bowler than ambrose?and by far too?and jayasuriya was by far the best odi batsman in the 90s.

JASON said:
He was not fast , he didn't spend his energies on tearing down and bowling fast , mainly concentrated on line and length and variation and intelligent bowling. He used intelligent bowling to earn his wickets and all the top batsmen of the 90's have been his victims several times over. Tendulkar,Lara .
you are the first person ive seen who has called mcgrath "intelligent". and no mcgrath does not have much variation at all.thats why im not convinced that he is the best fast bowler of the 90s. he bowled the same ball 5 out of six times every over, the other ball probably being a bouncer.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
JASON said:
Alan Donald may have been a very good bowler of the 90's but he spent most of his energies chasing the Pounds in county cricket for warwickshire (for whom he gave most of his skill) and as a result was generally not 100% or never gave his 100% in International cricket (Tests or ODI's) :@ (Hence the typical choking in the World Cup Semi final in 1999). :sleep:

That's a serious allegation against one of the greatest bowlers of all time.

Can you show us where he put County Cricket ahead of playing for his country, because as a Warwickshire fan, I can't remember it happening.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
you are the first person ive seen who has called mcgrath "intelligent". and no mcgrath does not have much variation at all.thats why im not convinced that he is the best fast bowler of the 90s. he bowled the same ball 5 out of six times every over, the other ball probably being a bouncer.
McGrath has one of the greatest commands of the English language seen in modern day cricket. He knows every word beginning with 'F'.

Great fast bowlers don't need variation at all - they just need to keep putting the ball in the same place over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

tooextracool

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
Great fast bowlers don't need variation at all - they just need to keep putting the ball in the same place over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.
no they dont but if a batsman went down the track and smacked him for a couple of 4s first up(easier said than done),mcgrath would be absolutely clueless as to what to bowl to him thereafter(cant bowl 6 bouncers in an over now can he?).i just fear that once mcgrath was smacked a bit he just wasnt able to his that perfect line and length and consequently wasnt half as effective.

DJ

School Boy/Girl Captain
marc71178 said:
That's a serious allegation against one of the greatest bowlers of all time.

Can you show us where he put County Cricket ahead of playing for his country, because as a Warwickshire fan, I can't remember it happening.
It's an allegation put forth by numerous Free State fans though (which is why I asked if Jason is from Bloemfontein). The feeling back home was that Donald was more interested in playing for SA and Warwickshire and didn't give his all when playing SA domestic cricket.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
That's not one I'd heard before - I certainly would never question his dedication to the National side, but reporting of SA Domestic Cricket when he was at his prime was pretty non-existant over here.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
no they dont but if a batsman went down the track and smacked him for a couple of 4s first up(easier said than done),mcgrath would be absolutely clueless as to what to bowl to him thereafter(cant bowl 6 bouncers in an over now can he?).i just fear that once mcgrath was smacked a bit he just wasnt able to his that perfect line and length and consequently wasnt half as effective.
Well, the same could be said for any number of bowlers of similar pace. The ones who were good enough would just drag their length back a fraction or possibly pitch the ball a little wider.

The fact that no-one has been able to knock McGrath out of his stride more than momentarily seems to imply not that batsmen are not trying to do so - more likely they cannot because the variation is much more subtle.

430 at 21.71 doesn't strike me as the figures of a one-dimentional plodder.

bennyr

U19 12th Man
tooextracool said:
This is absolutely true.

But it doesn't happen much.

And it is very funny funny when it does. If it's possible, his vocabulary actually decreases when he is getting carted.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yeah I think he admitted himself that his Free State cricket suffered a lot.. But I cant imagine AAD giving any less than 110% for his country...

Anyway you could say exactly the same about Courtney Walsh, Waqar and Wasim chasing the pound sterling, but there performances for their countries didnt exactly suffer did they??

Im sure AAD's series in England in 1998 was doubly good for him because of the experience he had playing cricket in England..

Craig

World Traveller
JASON said:
Alan Donald may have been a very good bowler of the 90's but he spent most of his energies chasing the Pounds in county cricket for warwickshire
So what?

A player has the right to make a living playing in England, and if Warwickshire wanted some of the best around, they could do worse then sign Alan Donald, Waqar Younis, Brian Lara or Shaun Pollock in the last ten years.

And Shane Bond or Heath Streak certainly are not bad signings.

spofta

Banned
spofta said:
Fast bowler of the 1990's would have to be Murphy Sua for me.
on a more serious note the ODi bowler of the 90's fopr me would be Geoff Allot. im sure some would agree

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
spofta said:
Fast bowler of the 1990's would have to be Murphy Sua for me.

Spofta- You are a deadset joke son. Give yourself an uppercut buddy. Murphey Su'a although the greatest Samoan bowler of the 90's does not even come close in comparison with the great Bruce Morrison who was a spin bowler by trade but occasionaly ripped a few down at close to 100 miles when he marked out a longer run.

Scallywag

Banned
tooextracool said:
That has to be the funniest thing I have read. Thanks

On to bowlers of the 90's Bruce Reid only played 9 tests in the early ninties but had a very impressive 51 wickets @ 18runs with five 5wicket hauls and a best of 7/51. Unfortunately his career was cut short due to a back injury.
His career
Tests 27 wickets 113 best bowling 7/51 ave 24.63

Ambrose worried me most as a bowler to take wickets and McGrath gives me the most confidence he will take wickets.

Its too hard to compare a bowler who is trying to destroy your team to a bowler who you want to get wickets.

Langeveldt

Soutie
JASON said:
I've been on cricketweb for just over two years, and this is the worst post I have ever seen. Okay your attacking my hero, but its so plain to see that he has always given 100% when in the green and gold. . Very very ignorant post indeed..

Shaun Pollock and Glenn McGrath, just sneak it for the best quick bowler of the '90's

EDIT: Just seen my reaction to the same post a few months ago, I'm amazed at my change of reaction and complete anger, lol!

Last edited: