• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BEst fast Bowler of 90's?

THE G-TRAIN

Cricket Spectator
Ok i realise that i might get a few people worked up by saying that stuff (above). Probably a bit harsh to Murali. He is a good bowler, but i guess it seems obvious TO ME that he chucks it, and so it seems unfair that he takes a billion wickets a game. (All tailenders) HA joking. Sorry Mural's, just my thoughts

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
^All this anti-Murali business suggest to me something you yourself suggested in a different thread.
I will repeat the term used earlier: "Sour grapes"

krkode

State Captain
Definitely. Murali's the bomb and anyone against him is a sour grape and deserves to be eaten.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
THE G-TRAIN said:
Serious question, Whats to stop Murali bowling a few K's slower and just trying to straighten him arm a little more than he does in a game?
If Murali wanted to 'cheat' the cameras, he would straighten his arm a little less, not more. A throw in cricket is when a bowler straightens his arm x degrees (depending on type of bowler) during his delivery action.

THE G-TRAIN said:
There was a kid in my cricket team once who chucked it. He literally couldnt straighten his arm during the action, so they put a brace on his arm when he bowls, and it keeps his arm straight for him. Why cant they do something similar with murali. Afraid hell take no wickets with a straight arm?
No: the laws state quite clearly that a bowler can bowl with his arm bent - so long as he doesn't straighten it significantly during the delivery action. If the player you are talking about "literally couldnt straighten his arm during the action", then he does not throw. A bowler can bowl with his forearm and upper arm perpendicular if he wants to, so long as he doesn't straighten it significantly during the delivery action.
Paul Adams is a good example:

Clearly, his arm is bent, but the point is he doesn't straighten it. Hence, not a throw.

[Note: I am not getting 'worked up', just feel like explaining the law (as i see it) :)]

thierry henry

International Coach
It's a very close contest for best fast bowler of the 90s, I don't think there's much point trying to separate McGrath, Ambrose, Akram etc

However I will say that IN HIS PRIME (i.e. the first 3 or so years of his career) Waqar Younis was quite possibly the most devastating bowler of the last 100 years (big call I know). I think he took his first 150 wickets at an average of 18?

THE G-TRAIN

Cricket Spectator
Adamc said:
If Murali wanted to 'cheat' the cameras, he would straighten his arm a little less, not more. A throw in cricket is when a bowler straightens his arm x degrees (depending on type of bowler) during his delivery action.

No: the laws state quite clearly that a bowler can bowl with his arm bent - so long as he doesn't straighten it significantly during the delivery action. If the player you are talking about "literally couldnt straighten his arm during the action", then he does not throw. A bowler can bowl with his forearm and upper arm perpendicular if he wants to, so long as he doesn't straighten it significantly during the delivery action.
Paul Adams is a good example:

Clearly, his arm is bent, but the point is he doesn't straighten it. Hence, not a throw.

[Note: I am not getting 'worked up', just feel like explaining the law (as i see it) :)]
Yeah your probably right adamc. It just seems that if a bowler were striaghtening his arm LESS, he would be bending it more...Like a throw. Yet, you seem to know what your on about, so ill just go with that!

THE G-TRAIN

Cricket Spectator
Dasa said:
^All this anti-Murali business suggest to me something you yourself suggested in a different thread.
Dasa. Im not anti murali. Kr, im not a murali hater. I think murali is a very smart, very skillful cricketer. To me (and im allowed an opinion) and millions of other people, it would seem that murali chucks it. Im only sour because to me it seems as if he is getting an unfair advantage on other bowlers, because he is able to turn the ball more both ways. I can bowl the doorsa (not as accurately mind you) too but i dont reckon i would get away with it playing for bangkok under 15's. I think hes good for the game in some ways, but i dont think he is in other ways...Eg, I dont think its good for young kids. They see him take all these wickets with his 'suspect' action and try and bowl like him. Which means more people trying to bowl like murali, will be trying to mimick his action, and the will be all sorts of interpretations, and maybe some blatent chuckers. They keep making allowances for these suspect actions, but How much of a throw does a persons action have to be before they put a stop to it? Ive got nothing against murali, he seems like a pretty humble and nice guy from what ive seen. (except for his dislike of aussies!) I just dont agree with the action. Sorry if i went a bit far in that earlier post guys.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
All these people who critcise his action because they say if they copy it they wouldn't get away with seem to overlook the fact that he physically can't bowl with a tradition smooth straight armed action.

Unless you all have the same medical complaint then you can!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
THE G-TRAIN said:
Yeah your probably right adamc. It just seems that if a bowler were striaghtening his arm LESS, he would be bending it more...Like a throw. Yet, you seem to know what your on about, so ill just go with that!
No, a throw is when an arm goes from bent to straightened.

ReallyCrazy

Banned
As far as I know Wasim Akram is the best fast bowler of the 90s. He was really quick in his early years and then he lost pace and this time he could swing the ball like a biatch! He could make it go reverse both ways in the air.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Curtly Ambrose for me, followed by Wasim Akram. Ambrose was just too devastating.... and Akram somehow knew to get the ball do whatever he wanted it to.

Waughney

International Debutant
All these bowlers are among the greats but I'm going for Mcgrath because of his consistency and reliability (and maybe a little bit of Australian Bias :D )

Craig

World Traveller
DJ Bumfluff said:
I disagree. In my opinion, Murali chucks everything that leaves his hand.
Well what has been said by the UWA, they dont believe he chucks his doosra.

DJ

School Boy/Girl Captain
Craig said:
Well what has been said by the UWA, they dont believe he chucks his doosra.
That's not strictly true. They believe he chucks it, but they just want to change the rules (again) to allow him to continue doing so.

Craig

World Traveller
DJ Bumfluff said:
That's not strictly true. They believe he chucks it, but they just want to change the rules (again) to allow him to continue doing so.
And what will the UWA gain from it?

Actually from the articles I have read it is to the contray from what you have said from the further tests done.

DJ

School Boy/Girl Captain
Craig said:
And what will the UWA gain from it?

Actually from the articles I have read it is to the contray from what you have said from the further tests done.
I don't know. Cricket Peace by appeasing some Lankans who have a reputation for getting minstrel when things don't go their own way? Why don't we ask Bruce Yardley?

I don't understand the second sentence of your post.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Best Fast Bowler of the 90's

McGrath is, to me, by far the best fast bowler of the 90's . The statistics confirm it. He was not fast , he didn't spend his energies on tearing down and bowling fast , mainly concentrated on line and length and variation and intelligent bowling. He used intelligent bowling to earn his wickets and all the top batsmen of the 90's have been his victims several times over. Tendulkar,Lara . Unfortunately having the better batsmen of the 90s on his side might count against him. Akram being the highest wicket taker in International cricket comes second. Ambrose rates third ahead of Walsh because he took more wickets in fewer tests.

Alan Donald may have been a very good bowler of the 90's but he spent most of his energies chasing the Pounds in county cricket for warwickshire (for whom he gave most of his skill) and as a result was generally not 100% or never gave his 100% in International cricket (Tests or ODI's) :@ (Hence the typical choking in the World Cup Semi final in 1999). :sleep:

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
JASON said:
Alan Donald may have been a very good bowler of the 90's but he spent most of his energies chasing the Pounds in county cricket for warwickshire (for whom he gave most of his skill) and as a result was generally not 100% or never gave his 100% in International cricket (Tests or ODI's) :@ (Hence the typical choking in the World Cup Semi final in 1999). :sleep:
Typical choking in the World Cup semi? :huh: He took 4/32! The fact that he ran himself out has nothing to do with his bowling ability, which is what is being debated. To say that he got run out because he "never gave his 100% in International cricket" is rather unfair.

DJ

School Boy/Girl Captain
330 wickets at an average of 22 and a SR of 47 and you say that he never gave his all in international cricket?

You're not from Bloemfontein are you?