• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best ever test series IYO?

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Actually watching the third test highlights right now. It's a great series but I think no test series in the recent past or foreseeable future in SA will rate highly due to lack of crowd and general public interest.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think the test where Merv did that was actually the same test as Warne's ball to Gatting. Last ball of day four of the first test I think. And iirc it was Gatting who he bowled. Not a great test for Mike.
Is that where the clip of Lawry saying "Bowled him, last ball of the day can you believe that" on the Channel Nine intro is from?

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ridiculous there's never been a four Test series since readmission (that I can remember?)
TBF, the majority of Australia/South Africa series have been back-to-back haven't they?

Was going to be a four Test series this time around, unfortunately they changed to three. Shame.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
TBF, the majority of Australia/South Africa series have been back-to-back haven't they?

Was going to be a four Test series this time around, unfortunately they changed to three. Shame.
Yes that's right. Cricket Australia promised CSA a four test series because they "owed them one" but ultimately reneged on the decision.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Australia reneged? Seems ODI's are SA crowd's favourites and therefore CSA cash flow.
Possibly it was CSA who decided on more ODI's at the expense of the test that was owed to them after all. Either way, it was decided between the two boards after the 11/12 test series that the next series between the two nations would be a 4 Test series to make up for the discrepancy.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yes that's right. Cricket Australia promised CSA a four test series because they "owed them one" but ultimately reneged on the decision.
I'd wager it was CSA that reneged.

England and South Africa came to an agreement in 2008 that all future series would be played over 5 Tests only for a Test to disappear a year later. Same thing's happened here and it's CSA who are the common party.

CapeTown Guy

School Boy/Girl Captain
I might have a bit of a subjective view on this one, but the 2008/09 Aus v SA series was pretty great. About as good as a three-match series can be.

First Test in Perth, Aus post good first innings total after a rocky start and in the SA response, they ran into Johnson (8/61) for the first time and find themselves behind the 8-ball. Another decent Aussie effort in the second inns leaves SA to chase 414 for the win. Tons from Smith and AB, and contributions from Amla, Kallis and Duminy (on debut) helped them chase it four down.

1st Test: Australia v South Africa at Perth, Dec 17-21, 2008 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Second test in Melbourne, Aus again posts a good total (400ish) and again SA were in trouble at about 140/6. Duminy plays that knock, ably assisted by Paul Harris and Steyn, and somehow the Saffers have a lead. Aus crumble in the second inns and SA chase down 200 at a canter, with Smith again leading the charge

2nd Test: Australia v South Africa at Melbourne, Dec 26-30, 2008 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Third Test in Sydney, once again Aus posts about 400ish and SA are behind again after Mitch broke Smith's hand. Aussies declare second time round with a good lead and the SA 2nd innings nearly goes to plan even though MOrkel opener (caught on the hook in the first over!). Smith eventually comes out at nr 11 and nearly ruins Aus' day before getting bowled by Mitch in the penultimate over.

3rd Test: Australia v South Africa at Sydney, Jan 3-7, 2009 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

OverratedSanity

I mean, trolling aside, it really could've been a great series. The teams were very evenly matched and if a) Dravid hadn't been sawn off at the worst possible time and b) our tail hadn't disgraced themselves, that could've turned out to be a very tight series.

The cricket itself was generally very high quality throughout too, imo.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd wager it was CSA that reneged.

England and South Africa came to an agreement in 2008 that all future series would be played over 5 Tests only for a Test to disappear a year later. Same thing's happened here and it's CSA who are the common party.
Probably a financial issue for CSA yeah?

Top_Cat

I might have a bit of a subjective view on this one, but the 2008/09 Aus v SA series was pretty great. About as good as a three-match series can be.

First Test in Perth, Aus post good first innings total after a rocky start and in the SA response, they ran into Johnson (8/61) for the first time and find themselves behind the 8-ball. Another decent Aussie effort in the second inns leaves SA to chase 414 for the win. Tons from Smith and AB, and contributions from Amla, Kallis and Duminy (on debut) helped them chase it four down.

1st Test: Australia v South Africa at Perth, Dec 17-21, 2008 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Second test in Melbourne, Aus again posts a good total (400ish) and again SA were in trouble at about 140/6. Duminy plays that knock, ably assisted by Paul Harris and Steyn, and somehow the Saffers have a lead. Aus crumble in the second inns and SA chase down 200 at a canter, with Smith again leading the charge

2nd Test: Australia v South Africa at Melbourne, Dec 26-30, 2008 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Third Test in Sydney, once again Aus posts about 400ish and SA are behind again after Mitch broke Smith's hand. Aussies declare second time round with a good lead and the SA 2nd innings nearly goes to plan even though MOrkel opener (caught on the hook in the first over!). Smith eventually comes out at nr 11 and nearly ruins Aus' day before getting bowled by Mitch in the penultimate over.

3rd Test: Australia v South Africa at Sydney, Jan 3-7, 2009 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
Actually yeah, you're right. Perfect 3-Test series, had everything.

listento_me

U19 Captain

Great little recap.

I did really like that series and left it thinking "man, that Starc and that Duminy are going to be stars of the future"...sadly neither career turned out the way it could have. Starc only ever replicated that form on the odd occasion and just didn't have the consistency to be a truly top class bowler and Duminy's batting faded so drastically I'm not sure what to make of him. He has certainly been a good utility player for SA though.

Thinking of Australia series', does anyone remember the fun little series between Aus and Pak in England? It was just odd from start to finish, only 2 tests, a per-controversy Amir, a post-great Ponting. Did it end 1-1?