• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

best captain of the final match

which captain was the best captain in the final?

• shoaib malik

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • ms Dohni

Votes: 25 78.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

haroon510

International 12th Man
it has been such an intense match..

just wondering which captain did a good job leading thier side??

adharcric

International Coach
Malik made some brilliant moves, such as containing Yuvraj with spin and introducing Gul earlier than usual. Dhoni was excellent as well and seems like a motivational captain for his players. Both were great but Lawson may have done his part on the Pakistani side.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Malik IMO. Having one of your strike bowlers bowl all of his overs at the death was a stroke of genius and captains will follow this plan for years to come. The way he shifted things around to contain all the big hitters throughout the tournament makes me want to vote for him.

EDIT: Didn't realize this poll was just for the final. Pretty even then I would say.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dhoni was impressive in the final. Though bowling Sharma in the final over was a mistake. He was very lucky to get away with it.

adharcric

International Coach
Malik IMO. Having one of your strike bowlers bowl all of his overs at the death was a stroke of genius and captains will follow this plan for years to come. The way he shifted things around to contain all the big hitters throughout the tournament makes me want to vote for him.

EDIT: Didn't realize this poll was just for the final. Pretty even then I would say.
Not taking anything away from Malik, but something tells me Lawson had more to do with that (Gul at the death) move.

R_D

International Debutant
Dhoni made crucial decsions at the right time....
Yeah he did.
really liked how he bowled Joginder Sharma and Yusuf pathan to try and get the 5th bowler quoto of overs quickly realising Pakistan will be trying to rebuild again so won't be able to hit them as freely and Younis was struggling to time the ball. It was risky but payed off.

Malik was excellent too bringing on spinner for Yuvi.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I didn't think either captain was particularly impressive TBH. Dhoni brought on Joginder Sharma for that last over and very nearly lost the game, while Malik was just solid throughout the game. One feels that some of Pakistan's more genius moves came from Geoff Lawson, which is understandable. However, I'll vote for Dhoni on the basis of the beleif that he inspired amongst his players.

EDIT: Actually, Dhoni was pretty good. Was very aggressive with his field placings, had slips in play at times when India needed to attack and brought 5 men into the inner ring when they needed to build pressure.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
I'll go with Dhoni, marginally. Have been impressed with the way they have both led through the competition, and they were both good in the final.
The Gul move is certainly a premeditated decision and perhaps Lawson had an input over that, I don't know. Malik has led with the bat also and played crucial innings, just like Dhoni.
Dhoni's field placings today were good and aggresive, at times bringing long on and off up to force Pakistan to go over the top if they wanted boundaries (the downfall of Younis Khan). Bowling changes were also generally good. Sharma last over was contentious, but think Misbah may well have got hold of Harbhajan anyhow, after his three sixes in his last over.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Dhoni was impressive in the final. Though bowling Sharma in the final over was a mistake. He was very lucky to get away with it.
IDhoni brought on Joginder Sharma for that last over and very nearly lost the game.

I dont think he had any other option. He wanted to give the ball to Harbhajan Singh but Harbhajan was a. Not confident enough to land his yourkers at the right spot b. was hit for 21 runs in his 3rd over.

Irfan, SreeSanth and RP already had finished their quota.Only guy left was Yusuf Pathan who was playing his first Game, must say though he had bowled a tight over earlier. But it was just a toss up between YK Pathan and Sharma.

Perm

I dont think he had any other option. He wanted to give the ball to Harbhajan Singh but Harbhajan was a. Not confident enough to land his yourkers at the right spot b. was hit for 21 runs in his 3rd over.

Irfan, SreeSanth and RP already had finished their quota.Only guy left was Yusuf Pathan who was playing his first Game, must say though he had bowled a tight over earlier. But it was just a toss up between YK Pathan and Sharma.
Given how hittable Sharma has been throughout the tournament, India and Dhoni were very lucky that the move didn't backfire. Harbhajan had been inconsistent, but I would've felt a bit more comfortable with him bowling the last over than Joginder Sharma. Of course, Yusuf Pathan could have been another option, although I'm not sure how well he can bowl at the death.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I can't picture Harbhajan lacking confidence there. As against Australia in the semi-final, he's always seemed a guy who wants the ball in the pressure situations. He had a difficult start to his spell in that match, but recovered supremely in the clutch. I think it was far more a lack of Dhoni's confidence in Harbhajan, than Harbhajan's lack of self-belief.

I'd still have gone with him ahead of Sharma. It's like choosing McGrath (9-0-70-0 or the like) ahead of Mitchell Johnson (9-0-54-2) to bowl the 50th of an ODI. As I said before, Sharma was very lucky to survive that task.

bond21

Banned
I wouldve said Dhoni but bringing on Sharma on the last over was a pumpkin head move.

That one decision almost cost them the game, lucky Musbah also put a pumpkin on his head and played a stupid shot.

All he needed to do was pick the ball he wanted to hit, he had 4 balls remaining, 6 runs. He couldve hit a boundary off a bad ball and hit one into the gap for 2, pakistan win.

That shot he played wouldve worked if he connected against someone like brett lee who has got pace, but sharman is slow and he just lobbed it up to give sreesanth catching practice.

Malik was the better captain, he restricted india to a low score and it wouldve payed off if he and the other batsman played sensibly

R_D

International Debutant
I didn't think either captain was particularly impressive TBH. Dhoni brought on Joginder Sharma for that last over and very nearly lost the game, while Malik was just solid throughout the game. One feels that some of Pakistan's more genius moves came from Geoff Lawson, which is understandable. However, I'll vote for Dhoni on the basis of the beleif that he inspired amongst his players.

EDIT: Actually, Dhoni was pretty good. Was very aggressive with his field placings, had slips in play at times when India needed to attack and brought 5 men into the inner ring when they needed to build pressure.
Bowling Joginder was bit of a gamble but really not that bad of a move, all my friends were saying Joginder but i was like Harbhjan.
Bhajji was bowling pretty **** yesterday and he got smacked for 3 sixes the previous over and Dhoni had confidence in Joginder from the match against Aus. SOmetimes you get lucky i guess, this was one of those days for Dhoni and Jogi.

Perm

Bowling Joginder was bit of a gamble but really not that bad of a move, all my friends were saying Joginder but i was like Harbhjan.
Bhajji was bowling pretty **** yesterday and he got smacked for 3 sixes the previous over and Dhoni had confidence in Joginder from the match against Aus. SOmetimes you get lucky i guess, this was one of those days for Dhoni and Jogi.
Exactly, Dhoni got lucky with his decision. Not trying to detract from India's win at all, but they were very fortunate to get the result in their favour when it came down to the last over. Harbhajan had confidence in himself and usually bowls pretty well in that kind of situation, but his captain didn't have any faith in him, which was unusual for somebody who appears to be very trusting leader, like Dhoni. Certainly I would've asked Harbhajan to bowl the last over, but Dhoni didn't, and it proved lucky for him :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
. Harbhajan had confidence in himself and usually bowls pretty well in that kind of situation, but his captain didn't have any faith in him, which was unusual for somebody who appears to be very trusting leader, like Dhoni. Certainly I would've asked Harbhajan to bowl the last over, but Dhoni didn't, and it proved lucky for him :)
Thats absolutely incorrect.

Harbhajan refused to bowl and told Dhoni he wasn't feeling confident and not getting his yorker length right and asked him to let someone else bowl. Dhoni said it live for millions to hearafter the match when asked why he chose Joginder over Harbhajan.