• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best 'bad fielders' XI

jcas0167

International Debutant
Just done some further looking at this - Murali was an odd one, capable of both brilliance and some comedic moments in the field. Did his fielding get better as his career developed?
Reminds me of the Tufnell outfield catch to get Michael Slater. The commentary from Bill Lawry and Boycott tops it off.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
lol he took a high catch at Adelaide one time when Bill was commentating and it was “Top edge. It’s Tufnell. Tufnell. Tufnell…… yessssss Tufnell!!!!”

Burgey

Bad fielder I remember : Chahal , Panesar
I remember going further back that Chandra was bad but obviously had a very good reason. Same with Azeem Hafeez (sp?) the Pakistan left armer from the early 80s.

Panesar was honestly terrible though wasn’t he? I think he was worse than Tuffers when you factor in advances in techniques and training etc. genuinely horrific

Burgey

Chahal, Dube and Bumrah are poor fielders

Zampa another worthy mention
They stand out a lot more these days don’t they, because the general standard has got so much better.

Whenever someone posts vids from back in the 70s and 80s I have to remind myself not to scream out “dive ffs” as a man outfielder just trots next to a ball as it hits the fence. Times have changed tstl

Socerer 01

International Captain
They stand out a lot more these days don’t they, because the general standard has got so much better.

Whenever someone posts vids from back in the 70s and 80s I have to remind myself not to scream out “dive ffs” as a man outfielder just trots next to a ball as it hits the fence. Times have changed tstl
yeah i was wondering if i should also mention that but was worried of being accused of too much modern bias :laugh:

a dude like Rohit would have been considered a good fielder for us in 2000s because his catching is still sharp and his ground fielding is okay but he sticks out like a sore thumb when everyone else is running and diving around today

Spark

Global Moderator
I've seen a few people actually praise Kuldeep in the field, which is wild because I was sitting right behind him as he was fielding for a full innings a few years back and I'm pretty sure he let through about 15-20 extra runs through sheer inattentiveness alone. Constantly in the wrong position, slow to react to the ball, fumbled etc etc. Visibly drove Kohli spare that day.

Socerer 01

International Captain
I've seen a few people actually praise Kuldeep in the field, which is wild because I was sitting right behind him as he was fielding for a full innings a few years back and I'm pretty sure he let through about 15-20 extra runs through sheer inattentiveness alone. Constantly in the wrong position, slow to react to the ball, fumbled etc etc. Visibly drove Kohli spare that day.
thats a 1st to me, ive never heard anyone praise his fielding skills

Silver Silva

International Debutant
1.Colin Milburn
2.Dean Elgar (Slip Fielder)
3.Hashim Amla (Slip Fielder)
4.Colin Cowdrey
5.Inzamam Ul Haq
6.Arjuna Ranatunga (C)
7.Kamran Akmal (WK)
8.Vernon Philander
9.Ravichandran Ashwin
10.Shoaib Akthar
11.Courtney Walsh

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
1.Colin Milburn
2.Dean Elgar (Slip Fielder)
3.Hashim Amla (Slip Fielder)
4.Colin Cowdrey
5.Inzamam Ul Haq
6.Arjuna Ranatunga (C)
7.Kamran Akmal (WK)
8.Vernon Philander
9.Ravichandran Ashwin
10.Shoaib Akthar
11.Courtney Walsh
Colin Cowdrey a strange choice, and I guarantee you've never seen Milburn field. I think you're judging only on girth.