• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Australian cricket coach?

best coach?

• Geoff Marsh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Darren Lehmann

• Justin Langer

• Total voters

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Given that Strauss is young enough to be Gatting's son, it's not that surprising :p
wait, isn't that a reason why it is surprising they had career crossover? they played a season of country cricket together despite being 20 years apart from each other haha

mr_mister

There was only around 8 years between their stints in the test side IIRC.
true but Gatting was playing test cricket at a very old age well past his use by date. His era was more the '80s right? his crowning achievement of the 90s was being the victim to the ball of the century i feel

stephen

It's actually weird for me to think that 93 and 01 were only 8 years apart. Being 10 vs being 18 feels like a lifetime :lol:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's actually weird for me to think that 93 and 01 were only 8 years apart. Being 10 vs being 18 feels like a lifetime :lol:
So true. I feel like 2000 and 2020 are practically the same era, but start talking about 1995 and it feels like ancient history

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I believe 1998 was Gatting's last season with Middlesex. He was 41. He then took over as coach from Buchanan.
Strauss made his first class debut in 1998 aged 21.

Shady Slim

International Coach
polar opposite of the cultural spectrum were buchanan and lehmann and i think the guys they worked with and didn’t reflects that

you’d honk that a guy like sok would’ve much preferred to be in a buchanan dressing room with that sports psychology focus whereas he wasn’t much for the lehmann dressing rooms where you had to be “one of the boys” to curry the favour of the coach. likewise i don’t think a dave warner would’ve been much for a buchanan coaching tenure and that style regime

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
In the future we may be regarding Langer as a contender. Early days yet, but he's off to a good start - apart from his handling of Khawaja.

Burgey

His handling of khawaja was too soft, if anything. Bloke was a liability for 18 months before he was dropped, savehe played one great knock in the UAE.

Lot of posters on here have a hard on for him because "ooh err, he spoke up at team meetings. He so tough." Whoopee ****ing do. Score some runs when they're needed ****, than get back to me. Pillow.

stephen

Langer is far too emotional and has his favourites to be truly considered great IMO.

TheJediBrah

Yeah weird how soft uzzie is, unusual for a Queenslander

edit: oh nvm he grew up in NSW, makes sense now

mr_mister

yeah Langer kicking the rubbish bin over during Stoke's knock was the funniest dummy spit. best part of the whole test documentary for me

i love how he awkwardly has to pick up the rubbish after coz he's on camera

morgieb

Langer is far too emotional and has his favourites to be truly considered great IMO.
Yeah this is a problem. In saying that I have little complaints about how he's handled the job so far, regardless of how I feel about him as an individual.

flibbertyjibber

Simpson the best in the same way that people will give Border more credit as a captain than Taylor or Waugh who followed with better results as they built the team from nothing to become the dominant force of cricket.