• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Asian test team of all time?

ataraxia

International Coach
Sehwag
Gavaskar
Dravid
Tendulkar
Younis
Shakib
Jadeja
Dhoni
Kapil
Wasim
Waqar
Gavaskar
Sehwag
Sangakkara
Tendulkar
Younis
Dhoni +
Jadeja
Imran*
Wasim
Murali
Waqar

for mine (idc that this isn't what the thread's meant to be about)

2nds:

Vijay Merchant
Saeed Anwar
Rahul Dravid
Javed Miandad
Virat Kohli
Shakib Al Hasan
Kapil Dev*
Farokh Engineer +
Fazal Mahmood
Anil Kumble
Shoaib Akhtar

3rds:

Hanif Mohammad
Sanath Jayasuriya
Mahela Jayawardene
Inzamam-ul-Haq
Mohammad Yousuf
Mushfiqur Rahim +
Vinoo Mankad
Ravi Ashwin
Chaminda Vaas
Javagal Srinath
Mohammad Shami

Chrish

International Debutant
You surely pick Ashwin ahead of Jadeja in All time Xi?

Jareja is a better batsman but I don’t think it’s enough to justify gap in bowling quality.

_00_deathscar

International Debutant
You surely pick Ashwin ahead of Jadeja in All time Xi?

Jareja is a better batsman but I don’t think it’s enough to justify gap in bowling quality.
Jadeja is just as effective though. And is a better batsman and an infinitely better fielder.

cnerd123

likes this
What is the background on this series? I saw it mentioned in other thread. Just curious what made this series so special?
the tour thread for the series was hilarious

it was a meaningless T20 tri-series between SL, BD and India that no one gave a **** about except for randycricfreak, who was pumping up SL's chances of winning before the series ever began. It was in SL and India had sent a weakened side, while BD were building a reputation as chokers vs India at the time. Randy was turning every comment into a Ind vs SL fight.

He annoyed everyone so much that when SL started losing in the group stages, we all started ripping into him. Suddenly we cared about these games, and SL ended up getting eliminated with India and BD playing the final.

The final was a whole new level of hilarious, as India somehow won after needing 34 in the last 2 overs. Dinesh Karthik brought this down to 5 off 2 balls, Vijay Shankar got out, and then Karthik hit a six to win the game. BD choked. It was such a meme finish to already a pretty ridiculous and fun series.

Hope they do another Nidahas Trophy in the future.

Chrish

International Debutant
So, in other words India C is the greatest team of all time. All time Xi ranking should look something like this:

India C

daylight

All time Aus/ WI

another daylight

All time SA
All time England
All time official India/ Pakistan (reckon they are even at this point.)

Others

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Sadly don't know much about Pakistan in their late-80's pomp. Them and their players (Imran, Wasim and Javed aside) just seem to be forgotten in comparison to WI, even though (home and away) they were the equal of them. Would have to agree their accomplishments winning in India, England and drawing in WI (even if WI had probably already started their long irreversible slide at that point) probably ranks them as the best ever Asian side.

Pakistan of the late 90's belong nowhere in the conversation though. Talented as they may have been, they lost tests against weak NZ and Zimbabwe sides at home, couldn't beat a still developing SL side in 97, and just generally were a fair way behind South Africa and Australia in terms of consistent success.

Himannv

International Coach
the tour thread for the series was hilarious

it was a meaningless T20 tri-series between SL, BD and India that no one gave a **** about except for randycricfreak, who was pumping up SL's chances of winning before the series ever began. It was in SL and India had sent a weakened side, while BD were building a reputation as chokers vs India at the time. Randy was turning every comment into a Ind vs SL fight.

He annoyed everyone so much that when SL started losing in the group stages, we all started ripping into him. Suddenly we cared about these games, and SL ended up getting eliminated with India and BD playing the final.

The final was a whole new level of hilarious, as India somehow won after needing 34 in the last 2 overs. Dinesh Karthik brought this down to 5 off 2 balls, Vijay Shankar got out, and then Karthik hit a six to win the game. BD choked. It was such a meme finish to already a pretty ridiculous and fun series.

Hope they do another Nidahas Trophy in the future.
Pffft, the Nidhahas Trophy was more famous for the Rise of Cobra and subsequent defeat of this new evil empire.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Oops I forgot Imran and Sri Lanka

Sehwag
Gavaskar
Sangakkara
Tendulkar
Younis
Shakib
Imran
Kapil
Wasim
Waqar
Murali

I'll just make Sanga keep so I can have insane bowling depth AND batting depth.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Hmm. Here's a fact. India won't always be the best team in Asia, nor England be the best team in Europe. South Africa won't always be the best team in Africa. But Australia will always be the best team in Australia. Forever. and ever. and ever.
There is zero chance of another European nation overtaking England because if any country started to produce genuine Test quality cricketers we’d nick them before a team could be developed.
Besides that I suspect GIMH’s post was a reference to Australia’s ability to switch continental confederations to make sporting success easier to achieve. So far only happened in FIFA.