• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Asian test team of all time?

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Sadly don't know much about Pakistan in their late-80's pomp. Them and their players (Imran, Wasim and Javed aside) just seem to be forgotten in comparison to WI, even though (home and away) they were the equal of them. Would have to agree their accomplishments winning in India, England and drawing in WI (even if WI had probably already started their long irreversible slide at that point) probably ranks them as the best ever Asian side.
That English side wasn't the greatest. Even India beat them 2-0 in England in 1986.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
My first XI

Gavaskar
Shewag
Sangakkara
Tendulkar
Dravid
Younis
Imran*
Latif / PJ+
Wasim
Murali
Waqar

Second XI

Hanif
Anwar
Inzamam
De Silva
Javed
Dhoni*+
Kapil
Jadeja
Kumble
Asif
Akthar

Third XI

Sidhu
Gambhir
Laxman
Mahela*
Yousuf
Mushfiqur+
Shakib
Ashwin
Vaas
Zaheer
Srinath

sunilz

International Regular
the tour thread for the series was hilarious

it was a meaningless T20 tri-series between SL, BD and India that no one gave a **** about except for randycricfreak, who was pumping up SL's chances of winning before the series ever began. It was in SL and India had sent a weakened side, while BD were building a reputation as chokers vs India at the time. Randy was turning every comment into a Ind vs SL fight.

He annoyed everyone so much that when SL started losing in the group stages, we all started ripping into him. Suddenly we cared about these games, and SL ended up getting eliminated with India and BD playing the final.

The final was a whole new level of hilarious, as India somehow won after needing 34 in the last 2 overs. Dinesh Karthik brought this down to 5 off 2 balls, Vijay Shankar got out, and then Karthik hit a six to win the game. BD choked. It was such a meme finish to already a pretty ridiculous and fun series.

Hope they do another Nidahas Trophy in the future.
You forgot Nagin dance by Bangladesh players against SL. As a result SL spectators supporting India in final.
@Chrish you can check youtube highlights of final match

sunilz

International Regular
My first XI

Gavaskar
Shewag
Sangakkara
Tendulkar
Dravid
Younis
Imran*
Latif / PJ+
Wasim
Murali
Waqar

Second XI

Hanif
Anwar
Inzamam
De Silva
Javed
Dhoni*+
Kapil
Jadeja
Kumble
Asif
Akthar

Third XI

Sidhu
Gambhir
Laxman
Mahela*
Yousuf
Mushfiqur+
Shakib
Ashwin
Vaas
Zaheer
Srinath
You forgot Kohli. Although if you have not included him for being a Panauti, then it is acceptable.

Chrish

International Debutant
You forgot Nagin dance by Bangladesh players against SL. As a result SL spectators supporting India in final.
@Chrish you can check youtube highlights of final match
Already saw the final over after it was mentioned. Must have been nail-biting considering trophy depended on the last ball.

sunilz

International Regular
Already saw the final over after it was mentioned. Must have been nail-biting considering trophy depended on the last ball.
Definitely.
1 Nidahas Trophy > 5 ODI WC .
And India has won 2 Nidahas trophy (1998, 2018)

Chrish

International Debutant
You know this is completely unrelated to this topic but I actually loved ODI Cricket once upon a time. But then they came up with bull like freehits, batting powerplay instead of just first 10 overs with limited fielders outside of circle; grounds became shorter and bats became bigger. It just became boundary-fest so I abandoned ODI cricket altogether. T20, I never got into it to begin with.

Flem274*

123/5
of those i have seen

sehwag (c)
dravid
sangakkara
tendulkar
younis
kohli
shakib
jayawardene (wk)
murali
bumrah
shoiab

asif, shami or vaas enter for one of the spinners dependent on country (murali can take a rest in aus for example).

sorry dravid but you're opening.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
of those i have seen

sehwag (c)
dravid
sangakkara
tendulkar
younis
kohli
shakib
jayawardene (wk)
murali
bumrah
shoiab

asif, shami or vaas enter for one of the spinners dependent on country (murali can take a rest in aus for example).

sorry dravid but you're opening.
Did you just forget Imran and the Ws or are you nuts

edit: oh you never saw them my bad

Flem274*

123/5
does flem not have YouTube. Imran and the Ws were before my time but I've still seen them.
highlights are different to watching someones career daily. i can look back at those guys and see their absolute best or sometimes their worst but i've seen the dale steyn 2/60, 1/90, 0/50 type days. seeing a players career in front of you rather than a few hours of youtube will always influence your opinion imo.

honestly more and more i find myself separating players ive properly seen from the youtube stars and especially the pre-lots of footage players. im pretty confident hammond was really good but id find it hard to break down how his batsmanship compares and contrasts with joe root on a shot by shot or innings by innings basis, whereas we get the chance to do that with root and stokes every other day.

i'll still make sides containing players from all eras, but im liking the separation atm.

cnerd123

likes this
yea that's fair

I'm lucky I grew up with cricket on the TV. When there was nothing live, channels would show full match replays, or proper extended highlights, of old matches.

Wish I could find more content like that these days tbh. Would love to go back and properly rewatch some of the greats instead of relying on YouTube.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England were largely **** in the 80s and 90s, we lost to Pakistan, India, New Zealand all at home, got murdered by the Windies in an humiliating way then Australia, not sure how we can be the benchmark of anyone's great side. Most England sides since the millennia would thrash those earlier England sides.

80s nostalgia for England cricket is appalling simply because we beat an equally hopeless and depleted Oz team a few times, in dramatic fashion.

Kirkut

International Regular
England were largely **** in the 80s and 90s, we lost to Pakistan, India, New Zealand all at home, got murdered by the Windies in an humiliating way then Australia, not sure how we can be the benchmark of anyone's great side. Most England sides since the millennia would thrash those earlier England sides.

80s nostalgia for England cricket is appalling simply because we beat an equally hopeless and depleted Oz team a few times, in dramatic fashion.
The 2009-2012 English side was the best since the 70s I guess.