• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best 2 Teams (1965 to 2015)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The thing about that side is that you can move the batting around however you want.

Sehwag
Smith
Ponting
Lara
Sachin
Stokes
Gilchrist
Warne
Wasim
Cummins
Ambrose

reads just as well.

subshakerz

International Coach
Hayden scored International 100s against all of the great 1990s bowlers except Ambrose.

There's footage of him weathering a pretty lethal spell against Shoaib Akhtar and scoring a 100 against a full strength Pakistan lineup in the 90s.

He scored 2 big hundreds and averaged 64 vs McGrath in domestic cricket. 181 at the GABBA is on youtube vs McGrath. GABBA has been one of the hardest places to open for touring openers over the last 30 years, mainly because of McGrath.

He averaged 107 vs Pollock, Donald, Kallis and Ntini in 2001/02.

He had 2 good tours of South Africa in 2002 and 2006. The toughest place to open. Made 2 hundreds and 2 90s. He failed in both innings of a dead rubber which brought his aggregate down in 06.

Allan Donald and Waqar Younis picked him in their alltime XI.

This myth that Hayden couldn't score against quality pace bowlers is ridiculous.
I mentioned that he could score well against medium pace like McGrath and Pollock, but had trouble with higher pace.

That late 90s ton against Pakistan wasn't in an international match, I believe. He struggled against Shoaib in 2004 in Australia and then the Ashes quartet in 2005.

Donald was finished by 2001. Those tours to SA were all against medium pacers.

Gob

International Coach
I mentioned that he could score well against medium pace like McGrath and Pollock, but had trouble with higher pace.

That late 90s ton against Pakistan wasn't in an international match, I believe. He struggled against Shoaib in 2004 in Australia and then the Ashes quartet in 2005.

What exactly do you mean by higher pace? Bowlers bowling around 140+? Then no i don't think Hayden had any specific issue against them but again, as i mentioned earlier, no successful top order batsmen i can think of struggled just against the pace. Its normally one or more of swing, extra bounce, short ball (swing in Hayden's case) and everyone struggled when it started to nip around. I don't think players who get beaten by the pace can succeed at the top level.

I think this is a good example of Hayden scoring runs against quality fast bowling. Harmison and Flintoff may not be ATGs but the quality of the bowling here is top notch and the pitch has plenty in it

bagapath

International Captain
Righties from 1965-1990

gavaskar
greenidge
richards
g chappell
miandad
imran
knott +
marshall
lillee
holding
chandra

lefties from 1990-2015

g smith
hayden
lara
sangakara
hussey
gilchrist +
jadeja
akram
mitch johnson
starc
vaas

Last edited:

Raz0r6ack

U19 12th Man

Donald had taken taken 40 wickets @ 20 in the 2000s prior to that 2001 series in Australia. His performances hadn't declined. Ntini wasn't a medium pacer.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Righties from 1965-1990

gavaskar
greenidge
richards
g chappell
miandad
imran
knott +
marshall
lillee
holding
chandra

lefties from 1990-2015

g smith
hayden
lara
sangakara
hussey
gilchrist +
jadeja
akram
mitch johnson
starc
vaas
Garner instead of Holding in the righties with Flower instead of Hussey, Shakib instead of Jadeja, and Wagner instead of Starc in the left side.

bagapath

International Captain
Lefties from 1965-1990

edrich
fredericks
g.pollock
border
lloyd
sobers
marsh +
collinge
lever