• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bedi: Gavaskar is a destructive influence

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I would like to know what has Bedi done for Indian Cricket since retiring as a cricketer. When he became coach, he wanted to throw entire team in the Indian Ocean. He continues to criticize Harbhajan and called him a chucker once, What did he do to help Harbhajan get his form back ?

Now his tirade against Gavaskar, In stead of criticizing gavaskar for doing his job, Bedi should have made suggestions about what Gavaskar should be doing.

FRAZ

International Captain
Bedi should just shut up. What has he done for Indian Cricket since his retirement ?
Bedi was talking about Sunil and not the Indian cricket in general ....
Yup different opinions are always healthy tbh and having a Media psychic all the time on all the prestigious channels is also not a healthy thing at all .. And please dont get into shut ups now !!!

FRAZ

International Captain
The thing is not to compare the career stats of Bedi and Sunil or hmmm lets say "dragged in by force word called IMRAN " ..The signicant approach to get the things to go in a right direction is to absorb some criticism too and media bullying by only one cannon isn't gonna help a bit I guess !!!

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah !!!! Enlighten us please !!!!
And here "us" means every one on this forum ...
*puch* start from the begining please ...
Post Retirement, What has Imran done for Pakistan Cricket other than criticizing pretty much every thing ?

FRAZ

International Captain
Despite his idiotic nature, I'd have to agree with Bedi here. Gavaskar does seem like someone who is always trying to impose himself on Indian cricket and exert his power but never actually helps out in a substantial manner.
Agreed!!
I definately had this in mind but anyways Sanz has to jump in ironicaly at the times when Sialkot or Sheikhupura expresses whistle at the stations ... And Shut ups are quite invisible at the whistles of WahIndiawahs and Sehwag309s ...

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Bedi was talking about Sunil and not the Indian cricket in general ....
Yup different opinions are always healthy tbh and having a Media psychic all the time on all the prestigious channels is also not a healthy thing at all .. And please dont get into shut ups now !!!
Different Opinions are fine, throwing insults are not. If Bedi wanted Gavaskar to take a bigger role in Indian Cricket, that was not the best way to go about it.

Gavaskar, Like Bedi, has earned his position in Indian Cricket. Besides it is not Gavaskar's fault that people want him to be in various committees or that he commands 'Blind Respect' from people.

FRAZ

International Captain
Post Retirement, What has Imran done for Pakistan Cricket other than criticizing pretty much every thing ?
So and the topic in the discussion was ????
secondly !! WOOOOOhing and Wahing 24/7 on tv doesnt make you a signicant contributor to the betterment of cricket and Imran hasnt done enough because he just didnt have time to do enough but whatever he did was good enough ... Rather than having 33/100 questions right he had hmmm lets say 10/10 right ... And being a mullah of cricket , preaching self made biblical approach of cricket isn't a significant acchievement at all I guess ... And ok when was the last time he did not charge for the 2 min commentating ..I will say Gawaskar did signicant job when he is going to attend a single match of cricket without getting paid !!! HUH

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
The thing is not to compare the career stats of Bedi and Sunil or hmmm lets say "dragged in by force word called IMRAN " ..The signicant approach to get the things to go in a right direction is to absorb some criticism too and media bullying by only one cannon isn't gonna help a bit I guess !!!
The point was and is - Ian Chappell makes his opinion regularly on Australian Cricket/Players, Imran in Pakistan, Sir Ian in England, Gavaskar does a similar job in India. Everytime Gavaskar writes something in the media, some one will give Interview in the media saying the same things Bedi said. And then people like Bouncer start jumping here on this forum.

FRAZ

International Captain
Different Opinions are fine, throwing insults are not. If Bedi wanted Gavaskar to take a bigger role in Indian Cricket, that was not the best way to go about it.

Gavaskar, Like Bedi, has earned his position in Indian Cricket. Besides it is not Gavaskar's fault that people want him to be in various committees or that he commands 'Blind Respect' from people.
So Bedi is not liked much by the people makes him at a lesser cricketing knowledge post ? ANd please dont generalize this beautiful word people for every one . For me there should be two seperate categories for this people term i.e. intelligent people taking no BS from media and are just plain amazing 2. medium level junkies who believe in the BS of media !!!!

FRAZ

International Captain
The point was and is - Ian Chappell makes his opinion regularly on Australian Cricket/Players, Imran in Pakistan, Sir Ian in England, Gavaskar does a similar job in India. Everytime Gavaskar writes something in the media, some one will give Interview in the media saying the same things Bedi said. And then people like Bouncer start jumping here on this forum.
So atleast you admitted over here that he does the job and before you denied him being involved in any job at all .... Thank God

shortpitched713

International Captain
A. There's plenty to criticize tbh, and he doesn't do it near as vehemently or OTT as Bedi does.

B. I think you'd find very few people criticizing Imran's work post-retirement, and with good reason too.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
So and the topic in the discussion was ????
secondly !! WOOOOOhing and Wahing 24/7 on tv doesnt make you a signicant contributor to the betterment of cricket and Imran hasnt done enough because he just didnt have time to do enough but whatever he did was good enough ... Rather than having 33/100 questions right he had hmmm lets say 10/10 right ...
Yeah Imran didn't have time to do anything for cricket, but had time to complain about everything. So what is the difference between him and Gavaskar ? At least Gavaskar is involved with Indian Cricket in some way through NCA and other BCCI committees, what has Imran done since his retirement ? What did he do to help Sami, other than Rave about his performance, What did he do to help Akhtar etc. Isn't it the same Imran who brought talents like Inzi, Waqar, Wasim when he was the captain ? What happened to him now ? All we hear from him is Complaining about PCB, why doesn't he take some responsibility ?

And being a mullah of cricket , preaching self made biblical approach of cricket isn't a significant acchievement at all I guess ... And ok when was the last time he did not charge for the 2 min commentating ..I will say Gawaskar did signicant job when he is going to attend a single match of cricket without getting paid !!! HUH
WTF ? Why should Gavaskar do free commentary ? Gavaskar doesn't claim to be a Mullah of cricket or anything, He is in the media and he just does his job as he sees it, like everyone else. Oh and Gavaskar isn't paid for doing any job with BCCI. If BCCI is serious about utilizing Gavaskar's sevices and thinks that he has not done enough for Indian Cricket, then they should abolish all these honorary positions they have assigned him and start paying him for his services to hold him accountable.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
So atleast you admitted over here that he does the job and before you denied him being involved in any job at all .... Thank God
I meant Imran complaining in media, Like what Ian Chappell, Sir Ian Botham etc. Jeez..

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
So Bedi is not liked much by the people makes him at a lesser cricketing knowledge post ?
No, it doesn't. But IMO(and I could be wrong) it seems Bedi is Jealous to see that Gavaskar getting so much attention and him(Bedi) not getting any.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
A. There's plenty to criticize tbh, and he doesn't do it near as vehemently or OTT as Bedi does.
I was Comparing Imran and Gavaskar, not Imran and Bedi. Yes there is plenty to criticize, but why doesn't Imran take some responsibility in stead of restricting himself to criticism. IMO, Imran has done nothing for Pakistan Cricket after his retirement.

B. I think you'd find very few people criticizing Imran's work post-retirement, and with good reason too.
I am not talking about his Hospital related work or his invovlvement in Politics. I am talking about his role in Pakistan Cricket and I dont think he has done anything since 1992.

FRAZ

International Captain
I I am talking about his role in Pakistan Cricket and I dont think he has done anything since 1992.
You are not doing any thing other than just confusing your own personal self .One hand you said Gawaskar did more and Imran is same as all the experts from other countries and in the first place the topic was about Bedi and Gawaskar but Imran had to be dragged in by you ... And then again you said Imran hasn't done any thing .. What is the "thing" here in cricket ?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
And how do you know he doesn't do anything ?

He is part of coach selection committee, has been associated with NCA for years. He has been more than willing to help any Indian batsmen who needs help with batting. What more do we want from him ? Coach Indian team ? Why should he, he is not a qualified coach.

He gets paid to write in the media, and that's what he does like everyone else in the media.
It's not my personal view; it was the impression that I'd gotten from those who have a distaste for Gavaskar.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sunny hasn't done much for Indian cricket at all. I don't really have a problem with it, either. It is his choice.

But he does project himself as though he is always willing to help out the Indian side whenever they need him. He says that a lot in interviews and stuff but never takes up any official position and therefore, never becomes accountable. To that extent, I think Bedi's comments are justified.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
But he does project himself as though he is always willing to help out the Indian side whenever they need him. He says that a lot in interviews and stuff but never takes up any official position and therefore, never becomes accountable. To that extent, I think Bedi's comments are justified.
I dont think I have read such Interviews in last 5-10 years where Gavaskar has made those statements but I could be wrong. And even if we accept that he has said that, may I ask you, what he needs to do ?

Anyways, Gavaskar has burnt his fingers working with BCCI many a times and despite that he continues to offer is help, are there any takers who are willing to take note ?

In 1996 World Cup Camp and another camp after that :-

"...would Gavaskar want to be at the camp at all? He has already been bitten twice by the Board's approach.

Back in 1996, when he attended a camp before the World Cup, this is what happened, in his own words: 'There was no one at the airport to receive me, and when I checked out of the hotel, I paid the bills. It is not the bills, I can afford to pay the hotel's cost, but I don't know if it is proper.'

Two years later, despite the gaffe of the 1996 camp, Gavaskar kept himself free for the Indian camp before the 1999 World Cup, from August 21 to 28, 1998, waiting for a call from the Board. "

http://www.rediff.com/cricket/2003/jul/14greg.htm

In 2004, Gavaskar was asked to be the batting Consultant of the team, he was there.

Gavaskar has been asked to take up positions @ NCA, various committees without being paid a single penny for those services and he has done that. What more do we want from him for free ?