• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BBB: Best Bangladeshi Batsman

Who is the best Bangladeshi batsman?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Who is the best Bangladeshi test batsman? Joy and Shanto look promising, but I've left them out of the poll (unless you chose one of them under "other".

Himannv

International Coach
Mushfiqur has bossed it whenever I've watched him. Probably failed all the other times since his career average is lower than I expected.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Probably career (or at least last 5 years). These are 5 players who all average mid 30s to early 40s. Tamim, Mushy, and Shakib are obviously Bangladesh's greatest, while Mominul has scored quite a lot of 100s (at home), while Das is in stunning current form. Tough one imo. I think it is quite tough to choose the best.

Aritro

International Regular
Why Bangladesh have struggled to produce batsman that average over 40 in test and one day cricket
The answer to this, for those who are curious, is that all our best batsmen (Tamim, Shakib, Mushfiq) debuted when they were still teenagers and had to do a lot of learning on the job.

If you take out the first few years of their careers and filter it from 23 or 24 onwards, when players normally debut in other countries, it looks a bit healthier.

Pretty sure Mushfiq's managed to average 40+ since he gave up the gloves a few years ago as well.

Aritro

International Regular
^or at least that's one of the answers. Other relevant factors include that they all play for a country with a dreadful domestic system, poor facilities, little knowledge of sports science, and a track record of losing most of its matches.

The result being they never reach their potential, have poor training standards and end up with lower personal ambitions than players from other countries.

Aritro

International Regular
Gee it's a real crack field, isn't it?
Oh look, Burgey's popped his head into a thread about Bangladeshi cricket. Just in case anyone had started to wonder if their most recent bout of piles wasn't the least edifying thing that's happened for a while. But with any luck, Burgey'll disappear faster!

Aritro

International Regular
And just to illustrate what anyone who keeps an eye on Deshi cricket already knows, here's the stats for the last years of batting performance by Australians and Bangladeshis. If you look closely you'll note there's five Bangladeshis and five Australians in the top 10.

Although only one of ours got banned for being an internationally reviled disgrace, so we have some catching up to do!

1653353251825.png

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This escalated quickly

@Aritro though I hesitate to take the side of Burgey popping his head into to have a crack at the respectable Bangladesh cricket team, that table you posted doesn't exactly show what you think it does. If you add them together:

Aus: 23225 runs @ 53
Ban: 15105 runs @ 43

And the Australians have played on average stronger opposition as well.

So again, don't disagree with your motive, but if you're going to bite in a nationalistic dick waving context you need better ammunition

TheJediBrah

Habibul Bashar. The original competent Bangladeshi test match Batsman. He was a pioneer
Benefits in hindsight from being in a terrible team

If the same Habibul was transported 20 years into the future he'd struggle to make the team

Aritro

International Regular
This escalated quickly

@Aritro though I hesitate to take the side of Burgey popping his head into to have a crack at the respectable Bangladesh cricket team, that table you posted doesn't exactly show what you think it does. If you add them together:

Aus: 23225 runs @ 53
Ban: 15105 runs @ 43

And the Australians have played on average stronger opposition as well.

So again, don't disagree with your motive, but if you're going to bite in a nationalistic dick waving context you need better ammunition
Lol, yes I'm sure we look closely into it, we'll find Australia has been better at cricket than Bangladesh mate. Smith and Warner seem to account for almost the entirety of that difference in runs though.

A better way to argue against my post would have been to point to the averages, with Smith, Warner, Khawaja and Labuschagne all a fair way ahead of the best Bangladeshi.

Burgey

Oh look, Burgey's popped his head into a thread about Bangladeshi cricket. Just in case anyone had started to wonder if their most recent bout of piles wasn't the least edifying thing that's happened for a while. But with any luck, Burgey'll disappear faster!
I don't understand why you're being so snarky here. I don't think poorly of Bangladesh as a cricket nation. I don't think about them at all.