• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BattleField (Battle of the Fielding)

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Yeah, should've been signalled dead ball. Should totally be allowed though IMO.
Haha what? He only starts to move both after the ball has been bowled and after the batsman has started his shot. Nothing wrong with it at all - an absolute ripper.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Both catches are similar, and absolutely stunning.

Aesthetically, I think the Collingwood edges out the Singh, just because of the way he lands. He's like a large cat, whereas Yuvraj looks a lot less dignified.
Yea, I agree 100%. Both great catches. Collingwood just a little more gracefull.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Lots of great nominations. Lets get seconding.

Ill second van Jaarsveld and Dwayne Leverock

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha what? He only starts to move both after the ball has been bowled and after the batsman has started his shot. Nothing wrong with it at all - an absolute ripper.
The batsman has "started his shot"? What does that have to do with anything? The ball hadn't reached him when Van Jaarsveld started to move. Therefore, dead ball.

EDIT: Yup, definitely illegal, as the attachment shows.

Attachments

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm not clued up on the laws regarding this, but to me it looks like he only starts moving when he sees the batsman put out his leg and go for the shot, surely that's legal?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I think the law states 'reaching the batsman' or something, which in my opinion makes it fine.

Uppercut

7. Movement by fielders
Any significant movement by any fielder after the ball comes into play and before the ball reaches the striker is unfair. In the event of such unfair movement, either umpire shall call and signal Dead ball. Note also the provisions of Law 42.4 (Deliberate attempt to distract striker).

8. Definition of significant movement
(a) For close fielders anything other than minor adjustments to stance or position in relation to the striker is significant.

Sorry guys, but that's pretty much against the letter of the law.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Apart from the 'laws' though there is the 'spirit' which iirc, both of are meant to be followed equally.

I agree that if you follow the letter of the law exactly, you should call it a dead ball. But if you use the laws and apply the spirit (common sense), it can be a wicket imo. The fielder didn't commit any injustice to anyone. It was just a brilliant piece of anticipation.

Uppercut

Apart from the 'laws' though there is the 'spirit' which iirc, both of are meant to be followed equally.

I agree that if you follow the letter of the law exactly, you should call it a dead ball. But if you use the laws and apply the spirit (common sense), it can be a wicket imo. The fielder didn't commit any injustice to anyone. It was just a brilliant piece of anticipation.
So if you're allowed to run across to leg-slip from slip or vice versa, why does that law even exist? And ftr, i don't think it should. But it does, and i can't think of any scenario more blatantly against it than this one.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
So if you're allowed to run across to leg-slip from slip or vice versa, why does that law even exist? And ftr, i don't think it should. But it does, and i can't think of any scenario more blatantly against it than this one.
When the ball is pushed down the leg side, one would assume keepers anticipate and move before the ball reaches the batsman.

Uppercut

When the ball is pushed down the leg side, one would assume keepers anticipate and move before the ball reaches the batsman.
The rules for fielding before the ball reaches the batsman are different for 'keepers.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
There are so many. Its difficult to nominate just three. Here are the first that come to mind - all in the outfield.

Bichel catches Kyle Mills

What we tend to remember after seein this video is the tremendous presence of mind of Bichel in throwing the ball in as he went over and then jumping back in to catch it again. However the catch itself was tremendous - feet off the ground, right hand at extreme full stretch, hovering just above the rope, landing a couple of inches inside the line and THEN the rest of the amazing presence of mind stuff. All in that second or less that it lasted from jumping up to throwing the ball in.

Justin Kemp's catch against Pakistan

Sinclair catches Hayden