• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Test Innings

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:
I distinctly remember telling my wife how poor a decision it was to bat on, on the fifth morning (India led by over 300 runs). Then when Laxman got out and India continued batting, I said, "oh my God, now Rahul is going to try for a double century" but Rahul too got out and India batted for some more time !!

I think Australia did a terrible job in not staying at the wicket well as Harbhajan bowled.
Yes, I remember them batting on and wondering why. I suppose Ganguly didn't have much confidence in his attack, but I figured they'd never have a better chance of beating Aus and he hadn't left enough time in this game. Wrong on both counts, as it happened.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
wpdavid said:
Yes, I remember them batting on and wondering why. I suppose Ganguly didn't have much confidence in his attack, but I figured they'd never have a better chance of beating Aus and he hadn't left enough time in this game. Wrong on both counts, as it happened.
I think Australia were ****y to start with and then after a few wickets fell, allowed the spin to consume them completely. I still feel they needed to have kept their wits about them and played sensible and defensive test match cricket. I suppose thats one thing they were just not used to doing.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Another close match, but VVS edges it out 11-10.

So the final, greatest two innings in the history of test cricket:

VVS Laxman 281 v Australia, 2001
http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2000-01/AUS_IN_IND/SCORECARDS/AUS_IND_T2_11-15MAR2001.html

vs.

Don Bradman 334 v England, 1930
http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1930S/1930/AUS_IN_ENG/AUS_ENG_T3_11-15JUL1930.html

Now, if you guys were consistent, VVS would win this because he already beat what I consider to be the greatest innings of all time (Bradman's other knock). So if he can beat that, he should certaintly be able to beat this. But you all are nothing if not inconsistent. So vote away.

Last edited:

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
silentstriker said:
Now, if you guys were consistent, VVS would win this because he already beat what I consider to be the greatest innings of all time (Bradman's other knock). So if he can beat that, he should certaintly be able to beat this. But you all are nothing if not inconsistent. So vote away.
Hinting on what we should vote aye...

anyway my vote to VVS Laxman..

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
GeraintIsMyHero said:

Bradmans' was certainly a great innings, but it was a first innings knock and the game was a draw. That alone should disqualify it from the top ten IMO. If it was a rearguard knock to save a match, then its one thing...but it was a first day of a drawn test match. If this becomes the best knock ever, then Laras' 400* should undoubtedly be here too....because its the same thing (first two days of a drawn match).

There is no significance to it, except that he scored fast. There is great novelty attached to it, but we are talking about the best single innings in the 130 years of Test cricket.

Now, his 270 on the other hand....Aussies were down 2-0 in the ashes, and he came in at number 7 in the second innings and scored a magnificent 270. That's a good knock.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Bradmans' was certainly a great innings, but it was a first innings knock and the game was a draw. That alone should disqualify it from the top ten IMO. If it was a rearguard knock to save a match, then its one thing...but it was a first day of a drawn test match. If this becomes the best knock ever, then Laras' 400* should undoubtedly be here too....because its the same thing (first two days of a drawn match).

There is no significance to it, except that he scored fast. There is great novelty attached to it, but we are talking about the best single innings in the 130 years of Test cricket.

Now, his 270 on the other hand....Aussies were down 2-0 in the ashes, and he came in at number 7 in the second innings and scored a magnificent 270. That's a good knock.
Aren't you supposed to be neutral here ? :@

Bradman.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Joe Cole's goal against Sweden was better than Beckham's against Ecuador. Joe Cole's was scored in a match that was drawn 2-2, Beckham's took England into the quarter-finals. Cole's goal was of little significance, but I'd still pick it over Beckham's.

When Bradman hit 300 in a day, he didn't know the match would end a draw. If England had been bowled out for 100, Australia would almsot certainly have gone on to win....English resistance does not make Bradman's batting any less spectacular.

ps you have the links the wrong way round

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Dasa - no offence mate, but is there anyway you can make your pic smaller, it's messing up the page

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
If Laxman had gone out to Gooch it wouldnt have been a travesty of justice but between Bradman's record making, record breaking thrashing of Englands bowlers and Laxman's back to the wall, massive still, near triple hundred which turned the match on its head and gave a win to India when they should, by all common logic, have been trounced, there is no comparison whatsoever.

I said in the semifinal that if I had been an englishman i might have voted for gooch but in this case whether I was from Bowral or was a Martian, I would have voted for Laxman.

Laxman ALL THE WAY>>>>>>>>