• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the post-1980 Test Hundreds

biased indian

International Coach
[SIZE=-2]DL Houghton[/SIZE] [SIZE=-2]266[/SIZE] [SIZE=-2]Zim[/SIZE] vs [SIZE=-2]SL[/SIZE] [SIZE=-2]Bulawayo[/SIZE] [SIZE=-2]1994-95

[/SIZE]
Zim Vs SL

Last edited:

Himannv

International Coach
Not enough Sri Lankans on here so going to add a few.

Sangakkara 192 - 2nd Test: Australia v Sri Lanka at Hobart, Nov 16-20, 2007 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
Very unlucky to be given out the way he did but was a great knock which almost guided us to a record breaking win at the time.

Jayawardene 119 - 1st Test: England v Sri Lanka at Lord's, May 11-15, 2006 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
One of the more gritty knocks I've seen and a captains knock to rank among the best. The game looked over after we got bundled out cheaply in the first innings. Heck, Jayasuriya got flown in out of retirement after the shambles of day two. With the massive cloud cover at Lords, the English bowlers were amazing and exceptionally hard to play. However England didn't take their catches well and dropped numerous chances in this game. That doesn't really take much away from this knock though. Everyone batted around him and the game was saved to give us a chance in this series.

Jayasuriya 253 - 1st Test: Pakistan v Sri Lanka at Faisalabad, Oct 20-24, 2004 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
Pretty much a perfect knock. Opened the batting and took it to the Pakistani bowlers while batting through the innings. Even had a 99 run partnership with Dilhara Fernando who scored....... 1 run. Played his natural all assault, high tempo game but mixed it in with some sensible batting and built partnerships as he went along.

Samaraweera has scored a few lone hand hundreds when everyone else has struggled. Will look into his knocks and try to remember which ones were more exceptional than others.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
remember both the sangakkara and the jayawardene knocks. truly superb. just one comment though about the sangakkara knock, or, rather, about the match....yes, he was wrongly given out, but it is hardly as if sri lanka were anywhere near the target at that point....140 odd runs still to get. the innings is often written about on here and elsewhere - mind - as if the result was fait accompli with the way sanga was batting. it wasn't. if anything, the innings reduced the margin of defeat and made it seem a little more respectable.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year

biased indian

International Coach
i know biased indian i just dont know how to find them on cricinfo

sorry if i sounded rude
check the concerned player profile in cricinfo...(just Google their name with cricinfo) you will get his match summary list and you can link it from there

Himannv

International Coach
remember both the sangakkara and the jayawardene knocks. truly superb. just one comment though about the sangakkara knock, or, rather, about the match....yes, he was wrongly given out, but it is hardly as if sri lanka were anywhere near the target at that point....140 odd runs still to get. the innings is often written about on here and elsewhere - mind - as if the result was fait accompli with the way sanga was batting. it wasn't. if anything, the innings reduced the margin of defeat and made it seem a little more respectable.
Yeah its a fair call that we were still many runs behind. I remember the progression of my thoughs went something like this though:

- Damn we have no chance in hell.
- Would be great if Sanga got some runs here.
- Hey it looks like 200 is on the cards here for Sanga.
- Damn this is one hell of a knock.
- Hmm he looks really on top of the bowling here. Doesn't look like he's getting out.
- If he keeps it up maybe we can actually win here.
- Into the 190's. Whoop.
- Out??? Damn it!!
- Oh wait, the replay shows thats actually not out!!
- Vandals!! Thieves!! ***!!! ***!!! ****!!!! *****!!!

So yeah, ended up being short by 100 odd but thought he gave us a bit of hope towards the end of that knock.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
yeah. felt pretty gutten because there was just the teeniest flame of hope of seeing something remarkable happen. felt like that when astle started teeing off too!

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just so everyone knows, I haven't forgotten this. PC had a virus ATM and is being dealt with by IT.

Thanks CW... You were told about it a few weeks back...

Xuhaib

International Coach
that Jaysuria knock by Himmanv is my all time favorite knock the way he took Akhtar apart was breathtaking.

Blaze 18

Banned
Just so everyone knows, I haven't forgotten this. PC had a virus ATM and is being dealt with by IT.

Thanks CW... You were told about it a few weeks back...
Try using Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome till it gets sorted out. It only affects IE users IIRC.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well it's actually wrecked my entire hard drive and the IT bloke is rebuilding the ****ing thing still.

I blame Ubuntu.. Or something. Im just throwing it around. Wouldn't have a clue. That's what IT people are for ffs. Spare me the technobabble bull**** and fix the ****ing thing.