• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the ****e

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
tooextracool said:
Id also like to nominate Xavier Marshall from the WI. I had an extremely hard time wondering how anyone as disgraceful as he was could ever come close to making the side. Batted like he had never faced a left arm bowler before in SL. i believe his test average from 2 tests is 4.25 while his ODI average from 10 innings is 9.80 and the worst part is those averages make him look better than he actually played.
God he must be terrible then if an average of 4.25 is better than how he played! Mind you wasn't that SL tour the one that the C & W sponsered players didn't tour so it was a second XI they picked? I'd lump him in with the players that got into the Aussie team during the WSC era. I'd go for those players who got picked when all the players were avaliable.

tooextracool

International Coach
Poker Boy said:
God he must be terrible then if an average of 4.25 is better than how he played! Mind you wasn't that SL tour the one that the C & W sponsered players didn't tour so it was a second XI they picked? I'd lump him in with the players that got into the Aussie team during the WSC era. I'd go for those players who got picked when all the players were avaliable.
yes he was, but he played his 10 ODIs in different series when the full side was available. He played against SA when they toured WI last year. Regardless he was woeful, and he didnt deserve to make the 2nd XI if you ask me.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
aussie tragic said:
6. Kris Srikkanth (Ind): 72 tests, 2062 runs @ 29.88
Not that I would waste an opportunity to pounce on a substandard Indian cricketer, but the man was the captain of India for a bit and wasn't too bad. At least, not the worst cricketer to ever play the game, certianly. And Srikkanth played 43 rests, not 72.

Certainly, someone who has played >15 tests should be excluded. They may not be great players, but the fact that they were around for 30 tests means they are not the worst players to ever put on the whites.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
My nominations:
Akram Raza
Pat Symcox
Ed Giddins
Liam Plunkett (just to annoy Piscine)
Fidel Edwards (overrated by the West Indians)
Darry Tuffey (overrated by the Kiwis)
Reetinder Singh Sodhi

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Now 64 players...

1. Mohammad Sami
2. Jehan Mubarak
3. Ian Salisbury
4. Devon Malcolm
5. Gareth Batty
6. Daren Ganga
7. Rikki Clarke
8. Ronnie Irani
9. Asoka De Silva
10. Clive Eksteen
11. Adam Bacher
12. Matthew Bell
13. Bill Playle
14. Nicky Boje
15. Chris Adams
16. Ian Ward
17. Kabir Ali
18. Richard Dawson
19. Tino Best
20. Kirti Azad
21. Mohammad Akram
22. Aashish Kapoor
23. Fazl-e- Akbar
24. Lakshmipathy Balaji
25. Noel McGregor
26. Murray Chapple
27. Robin Peterson
28. Mark Ramprakash
29. Anthony McGrath
30. Nixon Mclean
31. Akram Raza
32. Fidel Edwards
33. Ata-ur-Rehman
34. Ossie Dawson
35. Percy Mansell
36. Omari Banks
37. David Pithey
38. Lindsay Tuckett
39. Chris Silverwood
40. Jeff Crowe
41. Haseeb Ahsan
42. Datta Gaekwad
43. Chandu Sarwate
44. Brendan Julian
45. Adam Sanford
46. Ricardo Powell
47. Rawl Lewis
48. Gerhardus Liebenberg
49. Trevor Chappell
50. Xavier Marshall
51. Pieter Strydom
52. Ashish Nehra
53. Reetinder Sodhi
54. Hasan Raza
55. Ravindra Pushpakumara
56. Suresh Perera
57. Ian Blackwell
58. Liam Plunkett
59. David Williams
60. Mahendra Nagamootoo
61. Salil Ankola
62. Amay Khurasiya
63. Brooke Walker
64. Paul Wiseman

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Salamuddin said:
My nominations:
Fidel Edwards (overrated by the West Indians)
Darry Tuffey (overrated by the Kiwis)
I agree with Fidel Edwards being overrated but he definately has potential so perhaps shouldn't be there. Daryl Tuffey is definately not overrated though, he was one of our key bowlers a couple of years back and perfected the art of the first over breakthrough. He had one nightmare over and now you're criticizing him.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Perm said:
I agree with Fidel Edwards being overrated but he definately has potential so perhaps shouldn't be there. Daryl Tuffey is definately not overrated though, he was one of our key bowlers a couple of years back and perfected the art of the first over breakthrough. He had one nightmare over and now you're criticizing him.

Tuffey's the classic NZL seamer.......great on greentops at hom,e but ineffectual away.
I've never seen a more overrated bowler than him...

Perm

True that he is alot stronger at home, but so is Anil Kumble if you are talking statistically. Are you going to criticize him and so he is overrated? Tuffey may not be the best bowler but he is certainly not as overrated as you seem to think he is.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Perm said:
True that he is alot stronger at home, but so is Anil Kumble if you are talking statistically. Are you going to criticize him and so he is overrated? Tuffey may not be the best bowler but he is certainly not as overrated as you seem to think he is.

Tuffey avverages a laughable 51 away from home, factor in with the fact that he got the chance to bowl on some extremely seam freindly wickets agiant India and Bangladesh and yeah I do think he deserves to be in that list.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Perm said:
I agree with Fidel Edwards being overrated but he definately has potential .

I really don't see what Camps or any of the other West Indians see in that guy.......very, very average.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Don't agree with the inclusion of Boje, okay he isn't the worlds greatest spinner, but he's hit back to back centuries against a good NZ outfit.. Terrible players don't do that, not to mention he's a top fielder and a sound tactician..

tooextracool

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
Don't agree with the inclusion of Boje, okay he isn't the worlds greatest spinner, but he's hit back to back centuries against a good NZ outfit.. Terrible players don't do that, not to mention he's a top fielder and a sound tactician..
Yeah i agree. His bowling is certainly not as bad as some of the other SA spinners who have played instead have been. I for one cant believe that Boje made the list while someone like Pieter Strydom didnt.

Perm

Salamuddin said:
I really don't see what Camps or any of the other West Indians see in that guy.......very, very average.
Probably the raw pace that he has, he bowled reasonably well against Australia a while back and looked like he might kick on from there but unfortunately not.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Actually my new ideas for this thread are related to another thread about why WI lost so many Tests with Ambrose, Walsh,Lara and Chanderpaul in the team - it was because they carried so many passengers! Nixon McClean is on the list already but from the team that lost the Wisden Trophy in 2000 you could have Adrian Griffith, Reon King and Franklyn Rose as well. Suddenly you realise why WI were so poor then - ever heard the saying "a chain is as strong as its weakest link."