• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Cricketers

Slow Love™

International Captain
Wasim Akram. I have a lot of respect for Walsh, but it's mainly related to his fitness and longevity, and understanding his own limitations. His record is actually very decent, it's just that I never really considered him a great threat over the time I watched him play, and this comp is full of amazing fast bowlers. He did work very well with Ambrose towards the end of his career, although I would have said that Ambrose was more the enforcer in the partnership.

But I don't really think he's all that and a bag of chips. And Wasim certainly was. A jumbo packet of cheetos, especially when he was reverse swinging it. Pretty handy with the bat, too.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Slow Love™ said:
Wasim Akram. I have a lot of respect for Walsh, but it's mainly related to his fitness and longevity, and understanding his own limitations. His record is actually very decent, it's just that I never really considered him a great threat over the time I watched him play, and this comp is full of amazing fast bowlers. He did work very well with Ambrose towards the end of his career, although I would have said that Ambrose was more the enforcer in the partnership.

But I don't really think he's all that and a bag of chips. And Wasim certainly was. A jumbo packet of cheetos, especially when he was reverse swinging it. Pretty handy with the bat, too.
My impression (and it's only that, I've no stats to back it up with) was that Curtly, particularly later in his career, bowled more line & length than Courtney did. Walsh was more the "bad cop" who dug the ball in a bit to soften batters up.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The Baconator said:
Wasim, probably the best left arm quick ever.

BTW Jamee, have you got any more of these planned like, Battle of the Spinners, Battle of the Batsmen (minus Bradman), Battle of the Keepers etc.
Battle of the Spinners that could get messy. :D If you were going to have it you might need to take Warne and Murali out of it so its not too predictable and well i guess we all know what else could happen, the old Murali v Warne debate pops up again.

Wasim, Walsh was a great bowler but Wasim was a class above IMO.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Wasim Akram.

He bowled the most important spell in Pakistan cricket history in the 92 world cup.

Walsh was a very good bowler but I rated the likes of Ambrose far better than him. It was due to his fitness and determination that he went on to take so many wickets. And he really bowled well by the end of his career.

Akram for me almost always bowled superbly.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Deja moo said:
Obviously Jamee has taken the cricticism of Bradmans inclusion last time to heart, and wants to avoid a similar outcome here.
rotf. I don't think Bradman would have won the actual comp. had AA been there, anyway. :p

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yeah, Wasim for me too, although I feel sorry for Walshy. Very good bowler and a very nice gentleman, I gather. HIm not doing a Mankad at the 87 semi was a great moment.