• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of flat track bullies - Hayden vs Sehwag

Who's the better batsman?

• Total voters

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I’m not a Hayden fan but I think he’s slightly more balanced than Sehwag.
Do you sacrifice the ability to smash 300 in a day for a little bit more balance?

Maybe, but it's not clear cut. If Hayden was significantly better than Sehwag in seam friendly conditions it'd be an easy choice but he wasn't.

Coronis

International Coach
Do you sacrifice the ability to smash 300 in a day for a little bit more balance?

Maybe, but it's not clear cut. If Hayden was significantly better than Sehwag in seam friendly conditions it'd be an easy choice but he wasn't.
Nobody’s talking Bradman vs Hayden geez

subshakerz

International Coach
The answer is Hayden.

Sehwag was better in the SC, but frankly not capable of getting hundreds opening in swinging conditions, whereas Hayden was at least capable of occasionally eking out a hundred when the ball was moving. It is a critical difference.

Sehwag was simply not capable of doing what Hayden did in the Oval 2005.

subshakerz

International Coach
Hayden was capable of Galle 2008?
I said Sehwag was better in the SC already. But Hayden was also very good in the SC but not a disaster like Sehwag in England and SA.

The point was could Sehwag grind a hundred as opener was the ball was swinging like the Oval 2005? It's not some phenomenal achievement for an opener like Galle 2008. Hayden also had hundreds as opener in SA.

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
Of all the innings you could've picked, this is the one lol? Hayden lost Australia the Ashes by batting slowly when they needed quick runs and also went off when offered the light in a cowardly display.
I agree with the critique and I have made that against Hayden too. What made it a bad innings was more the context of the series. If Australia were leading coming into that test, the same innings would have been seen differently.

But point is from a skills perspective he showed he could slow down his batting rate and eke out a ton when not in favored conditions. Not great in this scenario but better than getting out with the new ball as Sehwag would.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I agree with the critique and I have made that against Hayden too. What made it a bad innings was more the context of the series. If Australia were leading coming into that test, the same innings would have been seen differently.

But point is from a skills perspective he showed he could slow down his batting rate and eke out a ton when not in favored conditions. Not great in this scenario but better than getting out with the new ball as Sehwag would.
Not like Sehwag has a 100 in England opening, huh? And the Oval is EASILY the flattest track in England. To use that as some sort of conclusive evidence of scoring against swing is just :laugh:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Didn’t realise Sehwag only had 2 tours to England. Didn’t even do too badly in the first one. Second one was 2011 and we all know how that went.